What is the best punk band ever?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by hedball, May 22, 2004.

1. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

you know when people are really angry and they do things like this
    aahurja hlkjfhkjfha lnb
    for ages in their posts, because thats what they are thinking in real life?
    well im doing that in my head, now, at the idea that half of these bands are being mentioned in a thread with the word 'punk' in it.
    sum 41. (cue ajfhkahk 's.) i literally choke on my own distaste.
    i would normally now list the other bands that have been mentioned but i am afraid that i will go mad pver the idea of soiling the name of punk.

anyway.

sex pistols have got to be in contention. one of the first to make it big, and while they are nothing really now their legacy is still here and they might get it for that.
    meanwhile as an alternative, i suggest the refused.
    they are not strctly punk musically, often even going into the unknown lands (and perverse ones at that of dance beats (they do make it up in proper punk music))
    lyrically, they are strictly anti-capitalist
    "i've got a bone to pick with capitalism, and a few to break" (first line of 'worms of the senses/faculties of the skull' which is first track offf 'he shape of punk to come',
    which is frankly one of the best albums ever. buy it i reccomend.

so thats what i think, but it doesnt really matter.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

in that case, any hate filled communist band is punk...

in a minute, someone will post and say; "Yeah, Rage Against The Machine are the BEST FUCKING PUNK BAND EVER!"

No.
    Please no.
    Define punk.
    Anyone.
    Now.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arditezza Banned Banned

Buzzcocks.

Anything after them would be judged based on their sound and feel. Everything else imitated them, and then propagated. Sex Pistols weren't prolific enough to be counted amoung the best. And I saw them live as well, and frankly they sounded like bunch of pre-teen wannabe's in person.

AFI, Rage, and Mudhoney are not punk. Angst does not mean punk. Anger, does not mean punk. They are Angst-Rock at best, but not punk. Rage comes close to being punk if it weren't for all the BS Hip-Hop and Rap undertones and various sound bites from other music they throw into their sound. They are too pop to be prolific as well, because they tried to hard to be liked by too many people.

Punk music was a statement more than it was a particular sound. It was a feel and a movement more than it was a music genre. Punk music gave birth to several music genres in the same way Grunge music gave birth to alternative. But to say that all Alternative is Grunge is silly just like saying anything with a hard sound and hard message is punk.

A Different Kind of Tension

"wait here, go there come in, stay out be yourself, be someone else obey the law, break the law be ambitious, be modest plan ahead, be spontaneous decide for yourself, listen to others save money, spend money be good, be evil be wise, be foolish be safe, be dangerous be satisfied, be envious be honest, be deceitful be faithful, be perfidious be sane, be mad be strong, be weak be enigmatic, be plain be aggressive, be peaceful be brave, be timid be humane, be cruel be critical, be appreciative be temperamental, calm be sad, be happy be normal, be unusual stop, go live, die yes, no rebel, submit right, wrong sit down, stand up create, destroy accept, reject talk, silence speed up, slow down this way, that way right, left present, absent open, closed entrance, exit believe, doubt truth, lies escape, meet love, hate thank you, flunk clarify, pollute simple, complex nothing, something stop, go live, die yes, no rebel, submit right, wrong sit down, stand up create, destroy accept, reject talk, silence."

~The Buzzcocks

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

"Buzzcocks are the true godfathers of punk-pop, having laid down an infinitely superior archetype. The band is unfazed by their explosive impact on younger bands, both famous and underground, from pop to punk and all in between"

- www.buzzcocks.com

8. Arditezza Banned Banned

No.

And there are some Punkish bands now, but I haven't heard anyone mention them. Pennywise, Green Day, Rancid, NOFX, Millencolin, Lagwagon, Guttermouth and The Vandyls to name a few.

9. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

well hold on their. i didnt mean that any anti-capitalist band is punk.
    i once argued at lunchtime for about a week over what defines punk and we never agreed in the end.
    is it anti-authoritarian lyrics. (you dont seem to think so)
    is it record, show and merchandise pricing i.e. keeping it low. (johhny quest seems to think ltj arent punk even though their prices were low so the answer is no.
    is it music. i dont think so, since its usually just drums, guitars, etc.

so what do you think it is?

10. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

Punk is music...

It's the Sex Pistols, it's that vibe... it's the mentality, not the wanna-be that followed it. It's specific to that time.

Some styles don't evolve. They become locked in the timeframe that created them.
    Like Grunge...
    like older stuff.

You love them because of what they represent.

11. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

"punkish" is more appropriate a word than "punk".

Greenday are Rock.
    Same for some others in that list... I don't know them all.

The Vandyls, having watched them live, I say: They SUCK.
    And they're not punk.

12. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

i must say Wha?? to that post.
    so your saying that the music itself is the definition of punk?

13. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

14. Arditezza Banned Banned

Green Day is punkish. They are punk-rock.

And I said punkish, and not punk for a good reason. Punk is no longer alive and well, the feel is gone just like the Grunge feel is gone. There are bands now that have the grunge feel, but are alternative. There are punkish bands, but are considered rock.

Punks defined what punk music was. It was a rebellion against pop, disco, society, government, religion and normality. It was a feel and a movement more than just a music style.

15. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

"Alternative" is such a good word...

I mean, heck! What is it alternative to? It's becoming Mainstream!!! How do we save ourselves form that, eh?

16. Arditezza Banned Banned

Don't buy the bad alternative... that's how. Plenty of it out there too. Listen to it on internet radio first to see if you like the album and never ever buy what your friends suggest.

17. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

not as good as 'nibble'
    thats an excellent sounding word.

arditezza: THANK you. thats goddam correct and i never even thought of it.

18. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

lol... I never do.

We only get crap radio here, but there is this program, from 1am to 3am, called "The Wolf's Hour" [but in Portuguese; A Hora do Lobo] and that has the BEST Alternative music. The guy who runs that program rarely plays the same song twice in a week, and there are always new bands.

19. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

launchcast is excellent cause you get stuff you like but it does actually throw up something good evey now and again.

20. Marshall Registered Senior Member

Um.. yes they are.

21. StarOfEight A Man of Taste and Decency Registered Senior Member

Fuck the Sex Pistols. Sid Vicious was an half-retarded, addicted wanker. That's no great obstacle to musical success or talent, though. More to the point, he couldn't play his fucking instrument. Even more to the point, the band was an artificial creation, as much as any of Lou Pearlman's shit-puppets.

22. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

i think that has been established after... 30 years?
    but the point is that what else was mainstream and was like that?
    and so forth.

23. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

So? Jonny Rotten wasn't.