What is the best punk band ever?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by hedball, May 22, 2004.

1. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

::bangs head against monitor:: i'm going to cry. please stop. please. you're bastardizing my subculture.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

good for him, does it really matter what they were like, its the music that matters isnt it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

of course... but it helps if people can catagorize properly.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

why do we need to catagorize, why dont people just listen to what they like and sod off out of other peoples musical tastes and going 'dam dey is s*i*e'
    actually, i did that earlier.
    o let them get on with it.

8. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

"of course... but it helps if people can catagorize properly. "
    it can help. but based on your categorization of the sex pistols however, you cannot.

i refuse to get all punker-than-thou. so i will quietly exit the thread now. tata!

9. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

bye, o wait, youve already gone and closed the door.

BYE

did you hear that. o dam.

DID YOU HEAR THAT???

nevermind.

10. scapegoat Registered Member

the sex pistols knew their "don't give a shit attitude" was gonna make them famous, their music concept was taken from the ramones and morrisseys lyrics to "the queen is dead" were more offensive.

punk is about frustrated people making themselves heard, being able to play wasn't the point.

"famous for one song" doesn't make someone punk, you're right, famous for no songs is probably more punk !

i think punk is a mentality, not an era, the same attitude can still be used to tackle contemporary issues.

and why is fashionable to dis pop punk, i'm not a fan myself but, weren't the ramones, the buzzcocks and the undertones pop punk ?!
    as far as the clash go, they had alot of musical influences, their songs were political (is that what makes punk, i dunno) but i always think they were too corporate to really be punk in my opinion.

all that said, i don't like political or hardcore music so maybe i'm not qualified to comment on punk in some peoples opinions, so i'll be off to listen to some LINK WRAY.

bye,
    Dale

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Your precious Sex Pistols would be rolling in the grave at that (If they were all dead...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) Punk is about removing labels, being free of the constraints of popular culture. Grunge was much the same way. Grunge was really punk, but was labelled grunge by marketing rats to sell to little johnny and sexy susie at the local record store. Metal music in the 80's attempted this as well, but eventually fell into the trap of labels (thrash, speed metal, grindcore, yadda yadda). Labels are merely the leashes about your necks, placed there by the marketing scumbags from the record companies so they can make detailed reports on the shopping patterns of various subcultures. Throw off your leash children.

12. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

thats beacause no matter what someone does theyll allways fall inot one catogory or another.

13. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

14. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

thats really great wuss-5, it really is.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

No, they do not always fall into one category or the other, they are placed there. Your perception of inevitability in this process shows that you have accepted the leash about your throat. Enjoy your Brittany Spears.

Maybe if you read the thread, you might learn something. Then you might become logically sound. Until then, your terminology shows once more the leash about your throat. I believe Johnny Rotten would call you a wanker. Sid Vicious would probably just club you with his guitar.

16. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

well done..... 800 posts.
    frankly, if you say i like britney spears once more i will kill you in my head with a big spike.

and i said it was great? sorry if you thought i was bein sarcastic.

17. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

i can't help but post! aah!

were you not aware that the sex pistols were a manufactured band? they are known among the punk community as the first "boy band". they were created by a record company who saw an opening in popular music for them due to the underground following of punk bands at the time. their songs and "fuck you" attitude were entirely made up and handed to them on a script. regardless of what genre they played (unless you are with wes #5 on genres not existing), that removes them entirely from the punk genre. ok i kind of like some of the monkees' songs, but fake bands don't count in music scenes.
    p.s. there is no such thing as 'best' when we're talking punk. an understanding of the genre should make that obvious. there is only relatively better and worse.

kill me if i set foot in this thread again.

18. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

ok.

didnt know that.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

SwedishFish,

You make sense. I had forgotten about the previous posts about the manufacturedness of the Sex Pistols. I never liked them to begin with so don't know much about them. So my point of punk existing as a rebellion against categorization and popularism still stands, but in this view the Sex Pistols are in fact the leash by the marketing scumbags. And what a good job they did too, huh? All these years later they are still touted as the "best" punk bad.

My feeling of genre is that genre's do, in fact, exist. But are not cut and dry. One blends softly into the other. And a true musician would stifle in the confines of any one genre in particular.

I am honored to have pulled you into a thread which you had chosen to boycott. Personally, I say your input is invaluable. But of course, I suppose the topic has drifted from who the best punk band is (which is unanswerable) to what is punk (which is certainly debatable.)

Logically Unsound,

C'mon you know you love Brittany, or is it Blink 182?

About the post count, it will go down once the Wes thread has run its course and is categorized in the proper forum.

20. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

mate, just shove those comments where they belong (not talking about the cesspool, but possibly something similar)
    i dont like any form of pop-shit and i dont like r n' b or whhatthefuck that stuff is called.
    hiphop is alright, along with every other 'genre' except the ones above, drum and bass, and folk/country. (maybe some others i forget about as well)

i only said sex pistols since they were the first. if they are manufactured then they can piss off.
    i now say refused. they are excellent.

21. jadedflower observer Valued Senior Member

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

They'd probably just be rolling their graves period.

Too many drugs and their nervous systems keep twitching...

23. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

woudnt having graves be a bit too expected for such a 'fringe group' LOL