What is the difference between a Democracy and a Republic?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Emil, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Emil Valued Senior Member

Please, help me understand the difference in practice, not theoretical,between republic and democracy.But political differences not economic.
    I read and I do not really see the difference.(I found little about the republic)

Democracy is a political form of government carried out either directly by the people (direct democracy) or by means of elected representatives of the people (representative democracy).

There are several varieties of democracy, some of which provide better representation and more freedoms for their citizens than others.[7][8] However, if any democracy is not carefully legislated – through the use of balances – to avoid an uneven distribution of political power, such as the separation of powers, then a branch of the system of rule could accumulate power and become harmful to the democracy itself.[9][10][11]
    The "majority rule" is often described as a characteristic feature of democracy, but without responsible government or constitutional protections of individual liberties from democratic power, it is possible for dissenting individuals to be oppressed by the "tyranny of the majority". An essential process in representative democracies is competitive elections that are fair both substantively[12] and procedurally.[13] Furthermore, freedom of political expression, freedom of speech, and freedom of the press are essential so that citizens are informed and able to vote in their personal interests.[14][15]
    Popular sovereignty is common but not a universal motivating subject for establishing a democracy.[16] In some countries, democracy is based on the philosophical principle of equal rights. Many people use the term "democracy" as shorthand for liberal democracy, which may include additional elements such as political pluralism; equality before the law; the right to petition elected officials for redress of grievances; due process; civil liberties; human rights; and elements of civil society outside the government.
    In the United States, separation of powers is often cited as a supporting attribute, but in other countries, such as the United Kingdom, the dominant philosophy is parliamentary sovereignty (though in practice judicial independence is generally maintained). In other cases, "democracy" is used to mean direct democracy. Though the term "democracy" is typically used in the context of a political state, the principles are applicable to private organizations and other groups also.

In the United States, James Madison defined republic in terms of representative democracy as opposed to direct democracy[6], and this usage is still employed by many viewing themselves as "republicans".

Contemporary republicanism
    Anti-monarchial republicanism remains a political force of varying importance in many states. In the European monarchies, such as the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and Sweden there has not been much contemporary popular support for republicanism. In such states republicanism is usually motivated by decreasing popularity of the Royal Family, who may be increasingly embroiled in scandal or conflict. However the classical argument against monarchy versus the egalitarian aspects of republicanism will often remain prominent as well. There are also republican movements of varying size and effect in the Commonwealth nations Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Jamaica and Barbados. In these countries, republicanism is largely about the post-colonial evolution of their relationships with the United Kingdom.

Republicanism in political science
    A different interpretation of republicanism is used among political scientists. To them a republic is the rule by many and by laws while a princedom is the arbitrary rule by one. By this definition despotic states are not republics while, according to some such as Kant, constitutional monarchies can be. Kant also argues that a pure democracy is not a republic, as it is the unrestricted rule of the majority. For some, republicanism meant simply the lack of a monarchy, whilst for others monarchy was compatible with republicanism.

I also found the following article but was written in 1928.

http://www.albatrus.org/english/goverment/govenrment/democracy%20versus%20repubblic.htm

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A republic is a form of representative democracy where the [figure] head of state is NOT a monarch. In direct democracy, sovereignty is invested in all the people whereas in representative democracy, the people elect representatives to act on their behalf.

England therefore is not a republic, France and India are. France has a presidential republic, while India is a parliamentary democracy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. soullust Registered Senior Member

Hey Canada is not a republic Neither, Why you mean Americans all ways forget us up north :bawl: lol

But yeah the American republic is kinda based on the French system.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm not American, note the constant references to India

I think France was the first republic if I am not mistaken, they beheaded the aristocracy and nobility got rid of the monarch and invested power with the [representatives of the] people.

8. soullust Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah I think you told me that b4, I just like bashing my friends to the south, And India is a republic. hmmm.

I thought they were associated with a Monarchy like us here In Canada, The same monarchy actually, you learn something new everyday Ty

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Emil Valued Senior Member

"Democracy is a political form of government carried out by means of elected representatives of the people (representative democracy)".

"In the United States, James Madison defined republic in terms of representative democracy".

I copied these lines selectively.
    Direct democracy is virtually impossible and there is nowhere.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

We are part of the British commonwealth but unlike New Zealand we do not claim allegiance to the Queen of England. While India attained independence on 15 August 1947, we became a republic on 26 January 1950

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  11. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

I believe Rome was the first. All though it was a mix of Republic and Dictatorship, because they didn't elect their leader. So I am not really sure that you would call it a straight up Republic.

12. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yes, and Greece was the first democracy.
    And still not notice a significant difference.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think Rome was an empire. I'm not sure it qualifies as a representative democracy. Were any of the senators elected?

edit:

You are right, there was a Roman Republic. My lack of classical education is showing

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

In short, head of state is neither a monarch nor a dictator = republic
    sovereignty invested in people = democracy

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  14. Emil Valued Senior Member

Therefore, I asked the practical difference and not theoretical.
    Intro democracy head of state is neither a monarch nor a dictator.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think you are comparing apples and oranges. The two are not mutually exclusive arguments. When sovereignty is invested in the plebians, the end result is that they prefer self rule and the head of state tends in that case to be neither a monarch nor a dictator but someone whose powers represent the people. Most republican democracies would entail some separation of powers and checks and balances to ensure they remain so.

16. Emil Valued Senior Member

O.K.
    Let us go step by step.
    Both systems have a constitution and separation of state power?
    Executive, legislative and judicial?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Step One: They are not mutually exclusive - A republic follows from a democracy. You can only have a non-dictator, non-monarch head of state in a society where people have choices.

18. Emil Valued Senior Member

Here, in Romania and in Europe and I think in North America(Of that, I will ask)
    No significant party would change:
    1.Stat of law,which has a constitution where guarantees: property, individual and collective freedom and freedom of the press.
    2.Separation of powers:executive, legislative and judicial.
    3.Representative democracy.
    Are differences between countries who is chief executive.
    He was elected president,in U.S.A.
    Is Prime-Minister, head of the party which won elections, in England.
    A Prime-Minister who shared power more or less with a President.(Are different forms to be elected as Prime-Minister or President),in Europe.

Differences between political parties in Europe are only economic problems.(Relevant parties).
    Namely:
    How much can the Government to interfere in economic affairs.
    How and how much pays taxes.
    Who and how much gets aid from the Government.
    That makes the difference between the Parties.

That I wanted to know from you.
    In Your State,differences between parties are political or economic.
    While alternating parties in power,you change the mode of exercising power or you changing economic relations?