What is the most backwards state in the Union (US)?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Seattle, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What do you think would generally be considered the most backwards state in the Union (using whatever metrics you want to use)?

Another way to look at this might be, in what states could Roy Moore possibly be elected to the U.S. Senate?

Is it just Alabama or would you need to include Mississippi and Louisiana (and others)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I would say pretty much anywhere in the Bible Belt (which, sadly, includes where most of the countries Textbooks are designed and produced).

Basically, anywhere that says ones religious "freedom" means they can tell other people what they can and cannot do.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gmilam Valued Senior Member

My own homestate of Texas has to be on that list somewhere. After all, we gave you Rick Perry, Greg Abbott and Ted Cruz.

joepistole likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I'm sure it's on a list somewhere but it says something about the state of our country when I feel compiled to argue that it's not on this rather limited list.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If I'm being serious, (and I'm not) I have to admit that it's a continuum with most Southern states over represented of course.

I grew up in North Carolina, the state that gave us Jesse Helms, yet even most conservative people I knew (non-politicians) thought he was a joke even if they voted for him for bringing home the bacon.

In many ways it was a moderate state when I lived there. Since I've left, the politics at the state level seems to have changed with more intolerant legislation. South Carolina has always been more "conservative" and it only gets worst as you head toward Alabama.

Texas is big enough that there is some variety of thought. That seems to be rare in Alabama.

Most of the county is screw up though. Places are either doing fairly well (and are moderate) or they aren't doing well using any metric and they seem to be largely reactive.

I saw a list from USA Today that listed the unhappiest states to live in based on polls of the local population. It was something like Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, and Tennessee (not necessarily in that order).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    joepistole likes this.
  8. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

In Canada our national sport is feeling superior. It isn't even fun any more. You guys are making it too easy.

joepistole and Beer w/Straw like this.
  9. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Kentucky. You can drive for miles and see nothing but trees. Very Republican, very dependent on the dole.

10. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You haven't been able to do it long enough to get good at it. In the recent past it was just hockey and feeling inferior. Now you're got a new sport and it takes time to master it.

12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That would be Kansas (Bob Dole)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Oh! The White House is called The White House because... Your country got totally friggin' pwned!

14. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Never trust a red headed guy...

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Grass, not trees, Kansas has a lot of wide open prairie and not many trees.