what is the true meaning of the Holy Grail/Holy Chalise/Soma Nectar

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by amarjit singh, Dec 19, 2011.

1. amarjit singh amarjit singh Registered Senior Member

Can anyone interpret the true meaning of the Holy Grail/Holy Chalise

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, it's like a lucky charm, it's the same as worshiping an idol. It's also a legacy of the middle ages when religious forgeries were central to maintaining the power of the church.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kx000 Valued Senior Member

\/
    The Holy blood line. My wife can produce for me 10 boys who all cary my blood.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

No concept of grail and chalise in Estern faiths. Soma nectar is mentioned, but neither its recipe nor any other information is available.

8. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The grail legends are European in origin and have nothing that I know of to do with the ancient Indo-Iranian soma myths.

The grail legends are tremendously fascinating though.

Remember that the Catholic Church claimed that it existed by "apostolic succession", by bishops appointing bishops appointing bishops, all the way back to Christ himself.

The grail legends represent a myth of an alternative apostolic succession. Guardians of the grail appointing guardians of the grail, all the way back to Christ himself. These grail guardians were individuals of the greatest spiritual stature, close to God and true hidden saints. It was inevitable that people would compare that image with the reality of their own local bishop.

The grail's form clearly reminded medieval people of the central Catholic mystery of the mass, the eucharist. That's what medieval people actually encountered when they entered a church, and to them it was something magical. Remember that in those times books were all hand-written and Bibles were the rarest of treasures. Only cathedrals had a Bible, and it was something for display with its jeweled cover on an ornate stand behind the altar. Few people, even priests, had ever read the thing. So the grail's form suggested the eucharistic magic of the mass that people actually participated in, in an alternative and far more potent form.

The grail legends were actually less about the grail itself than about the chivalrous quest to find the grail. Knights would start off on the pursuit for crude and selfish motives, and then experience a whole series of tests and challenges. In meeting the challenges the knights were spiritually transformed, since only individuals with the greatest inner purity could discover and approach the grail.

So the grail legends were extremely subversive in the medieval context, when they were compared to the corruption of the medieval Catholic church, making its own loud but hollow claims of apostolic succession. It contrasted the true saintliness and purity of heart necessary to approach the grail with what the church claimed to possess but clearly didn't.

9. Brendan13 Registered Member

The grail is a relik.

10. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

One of my opinions is that is. What's the word. I dnk, mystic knowledge. Maybe the word is nostic (knowledge)
    Second opinion mary was the grail an so is any female relative to jesus because mary either carried his child or they were apart of king David's blood..
    An I have other opinions but like the grail it is only opinion an nothing concrete..

11. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Anyone who is searching for truth in a fable can be said to be "in search of the Holy Grail".

Who knows how many futile searches for "truth" were taking place in 1st century Palestine when the Jesus myth first arose? It's hard to say when it became the latest version of "truth". No doubt the martyr of the Zealots (freedom fighters against Roman oppression) had to compete with other archetypes. Building the Jesus brand took some borrowing and embellishing on other fables and myths. One story to beat was Socrates, who martyred himself to the cause of monotheism by drinking hemlock from his own grail. Jesus became the new philosophy, one of Semitic roots, to replace the timeless wisdom of Plato's subject, Socrates. To support this transition, the storytellers cast aspersions against oracles, philosophers and Stoics--all symbols of Greek hero worship and cultural supremacy.

A millennium later, when the Crusaders needed yet another motivation to secure the Holy Land from occupation by the Saracens (later called Ottomans) they went "in search of the Holy Grail", that is, to take back the props from their fairy tale which, their logic told them, were real objects captured by the enemy.

Of course there were pressing problems of the day as far as the practical matters of survival. But nothing like a little war to keep people on their toes. And what a great way to unify princes under one king. The Holy Roman Empire was part of the branding strategy.

Of course this is just a highly condensed version of the history, through my own colored lenses. No doubt each takes away his or her own version, colored by their own world view.

But why pretend that there is any kind of truth behind a fable? The universal truths ought to be more candidly expressed. Why hide behind riddles and smokescreens?

Thus, the Holy Grail is yet another monument built out of styrofoam.

12. Gerhard Kemmerer Banned Banned

Above is the most likely explanation I have heard, because political motives have been behind other similar artifacts and stories out of the middle ages.
    The connection of the grail to the crucifixion is likely to be something thought up hundreds of years after Christianity started.
    But I have heard of some cups and bowls highly sought after which were used by the Irish Celts BC, and claims made that they would cause water to condense from the atmosphere and slowly fill the container with water up to a level and stop. Also, if a hole was made in the base to let the water out, fruit and vegetables could be placed in to keep fresh for much longer than normal.