What is the use of General Relativity

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by The God, Dec 25, 2016.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That position you claim I take is totally false rpenner, and I believe you already know that. I state often that I am a lay person before proceeding to give answers or descriptions of what is accepted by mainstream, in lay person's language, and as I have stated to you before, I believe that lay person's description sometimes conveys far more understanding to certain aspects of physics/cosmology then your own full mathematical description, that although most probably far more professionally correct then my own lay description, means nothing to the other undereducated members on this forum, as you so succulently put it.
    Self appointed enforcer and science cheer leader accusations is also rather funny. I mean are our well known science presenters we often see on TV and in the media also enforcers and cheer leaders?
    Should they, or for that matter me or anyone else, let the quacks, cranks, god botherers etc, exploit the gaps that are in science for their own agenda laden crusades?
    You as an obvious professional rpenner, need to realise that we are not all professionals, and of course you also as an obvious professional rpenner and also as a mod, have the right and the duty, to correct any error or mistake in what I'm trying to present on any subject, just as you do with the "the god" and his brother's in arms on the rather rare occasions.
    And finally let me say I totally agree with your comment re myself being irrelevant to the progress of science, but does that not apply to all of us, including [as far as I know] yourself?
    And of course the quacks, cranks and god botherers that like to spread rubbish in relation to science?.
    In fact the only ones that are relevant to the progress of science are generally those at the coal face and the forefront of research, and of course if you are one of those, then I sincerely withdraw my inference re your own irrelevancy.
    That's my position/s anyway on your rather back-handed compliment.
    Let's all hope anyway, now that the god has returned, that you take a more active position in correcting his nonsense and the nonsense often promoted by his brothers in arms and like-minded anti mainstream science they and he present.
    And of course that goes for the science cheer leaders and enforcers such as myself.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And as I said before, those that decide on the relevancy or otherwise of your own interpretation, are your peers and they will be the final judge/s.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Of course. Unfortunately, they are nothing more. Given the low quality of science journalism, it is even hard to tell if you, doing the same what you do here, would be above or below average as a science journalist.
    There is certainly no obligation to "do something" against them. Because what you can do without evaluating the content of their claims is not better than what they do, it is at best ad hominem. But evaluating the content requires time. And nobody is obliged to spend own time and resources for quacks.

So, if somebody spends time criticizing cranks by criticizing their content, thanks very much. This is useful. The problem is there are far too many cranks, and evaluating their content is far too boring. That means, not all crank content will be adequately criticized. Fortunately, for some sufficiently large classes of crank nonsense, much less than an evaluation of the content is sufficient. Say, formal criteria like absence of formulas, or of formulas typical for presenting physical theories (Lagrangians, evolution equations and so on), are often sufficient. Complete absence of knowledge of established theories (that means GR and SM) is also sufficient in most cases. And sometimes some fun like http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html is helpful too.

Unfortunately, the ad hominems you use are not on this level yet. They are usually nothing beyond "your theory is not accepted by the mainstream", which is worth nothing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

My post was addressed to rpenner, and obviously you have missed the point I'm making.
    Try reading it again.
    Our science presenters in general do a great job, far better than you obviously imagine that you are doing.

While you may believe that my comment that your ether interpretation will be judged by your peers, as rather harsh considering your rather general personal "I am" attitude, it never the less is factual.

8. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

You are parsing something I wrote, but I know not what.

Of course they do, but let's not commit the genetic fallacy by assuming their positions are wrong because of who they are.

My notable inventions have been mostly technical innovations, not scientific progress at the frontier and some are owned by the University of California and some by entities I dare not name. I have however done work on Australian meteorology, infant heart beats and a book on "fractals" (it was the 90's) and provided academic assistance to PhD candidates and post-docs. Also, I invented multivariable calculus the quarter I showed up to take the final cold (no class attendance, homework, midterm or even opening the book). It's generally a bad sign when your reasoning begins “If I were a eighteenth century mathematician named Jacobi, what would a jacobian be?” (Turns out he was a nineteenth century mathematician which goes to show this is terrible practice for a history final.)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm not parsing at all: The general gist of your relative post and references to me as some supposed enforcer, and undereducated and a science cheer leader, speaks loudly for itself I suggest: Particularly since I am never backward in coming forward and revealing myself as an amateur and lay person, and incidently why I will on near all occasions, link to reputable sites/links/citations etc to support my general stance.
    I don't believe I do that: I assume and actually know their positions are wrong, as they mostly are contradictory to accepted mainstream knowledge....and of course if any of them were really correct in any of their assumptions, would they be making it known on a public forum?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That's nice, and congrats: as I said, I wasn't sure. Obviously though my statement stands re who or who is not relevant to the perpetual progress of science.

11. The God Valued Senior Member

Thats wonderful, nice to see a guy like you around.

12. The God Valued Senior Member

Well, where did I go? Don't you know that I am omnipresent?

13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I do recall going thru a couple of years ago an trying to total the funding related to GR an it did seem huge. Unfortunately I can't guess at the figure I came up with but if you took an hour or two you would get an idea.
    I think there was a site showing where money went and what for and I was surprised.
    But if you feel strongly you should find much joy in working out the actual finding.

Alex

14. The God Valued Senior Member

The association of word 'metaphyisics' in context with GR, takes away GR from reality.

Secondly do you think GR passes Popper Philosophy? It does not matter when Popper proposed.

My resistance to GR (relevancy immaterial) will soften if it is said that a mass causes curvature in the space (not spacetime) which is gravity, space has certain materialistic properties which are not fully understood yet, and also we are yet to find out the mechanism of this curvature formation.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sure! and delusional to boot!

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Your resistance to GR matters not...You are irrelevant in the greater scheme of things, [as am I of course!] you are a nobody, a no one, like your brothers in arms pushing the same anti science conspiracy nonsense.

17. The God Valued Senior Member

You keep honking that English is your first language, still you cannot decipher the meaning, are you so undereducated?

18. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Of course, in your opinion they do a great job, simply because they support the mainstream.
    That they often heavily distort even the mainstream, to present the 0815 result as a sensation, or to present some wild speculation as a serious result, is nothing you can identify. So you simply don't see all this.
    I don't. My remark was a general one, and about your typical reaction to cranks, thus, something completely different.

19. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

No. The GR spacetime interpretation contains, of course, metaphysics. So what?
    Of course. It is an empirical theory which makes a lot of testable predictions.
    In this case, your problems with GR seem completely metaphysical.

Rename "curvature" into "gravitational stress tensor", "spacetime" into "gravitational field", and return to Einstein's classical distinction between constructive and principle theories, where GR is a principle theory (thus, a theory which does not speculate about mechanisms) and everything is fine? Then, nothing changes in the empirical predictions, and your modified GR would be identical to original GR not only from positivistic, but even from Popper's point of view.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Of course in your opinion they distort the facts, simply because they would probably treat your ether the way I and others have treated it, and obviously would agree that your opinion on your own ether is irrelevant and your peers will be the best judge.

Despite your irrelevant comments re science popularisers, they do a great job and at least are making some attempt at getting science and the methodology to the masses, in easy to understand steps.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

My education is/was enough to understand the meaning of what you and your brother's in arms are trying to convey, and decipher the general bullshit contained within.

22. Schmelzer Valued Senior Member

Nonsense. They simply will not write about me because (or as long as) I'm not an established mainstream scientist. That's all. I do not even expect them to write about me at all.

If I criticize journalists, I criticize them for doing a bad job. And if they distort the scientific results they are writing about, they do a bad job. I have to admit that the job is very hard - but if the result is bad, I name it bad.

You are, of course, unable to see these distortions, because to see them you would have to understand the results themselves, and to see the difference. So, all you can do is to see if they are good at writing science fiction - some fantasies which present the job of a modern scientist as something very interesting to people who have no idea about it. If these beautiful fanfasy stories have something in common with the real research is nothing you would be able to do. So, you evaluate something completely different - what I criticize you are unable to evaluate, what you like is nothing with interests me.
    No. They do a great job only if they succeed. Not if they make some attempt.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The reason/s why they don't write about you is obvious.
    But I certainly had not twigged that this had gotten you so offside and angst.

Irrelevant, particularly on a public science forum...Won't affect anything to any degree.

Again, your evaluation means nothing in the greater scheme of things, and that is evident in you once again raising your long defunct ether model on a medium such as a public forum, for obvious reasons, and of course my own evaluation is targeted towards those that do come to a forum to at least gather knowledge and learn the basics.
    They do succeed.