What is wrong with 2016's Artificial Intelligence and why it can't play complex video game like Doom

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by mackmack, Jul 10, 2016.

1. mackmack Registered Senior Member

In 2016 the most advance AI, using deep learning and reinforcement learning, called AlphaGo defeated the best human Go player. If Google's AI can defeat human's at the game of Go, then why can't it play complex video games like call of duty, Halo or Zelda?

1. Google's Deep Q network (reinforcement learning using a deep neural network)
    2. IBM Watson
    3. Apple's Siri.

None of the current AI in 2016 can play the Call of duty. That includes the 3 most popular Artificial Intelligence above. The question is why? It's because the current AI:

1. can't do addition and subtraction or basic math.
    2. can't understand natural language.
    3. can't do recursive tasks (from simple to very complex)
    4. can't make intelligent decisions.
    5. can't generate common sense knowledge.
    6. can't play an unknown video game without prior training or have the ability to play similar games.
    7. can't navigate in an unknown maze.
    8. can't learn, identify, or recall goals and rules of a game or self-discover rules and goals of an unknown game.

The list goes on and on. To illustrate my point i will give one example from the call of duty. Imagine the robot is playing the call of duty and he is in a situation where the player has 2 bullets; and 5 enemy soldiers are surrounding the player (the robot). The robot has to add and subtract because he has to know that 5 minus 2 is 3 and that means the robot needs 3 more bullets in order to take out 5 enemy soldiers.

Next, the robot has to understand common sense knowledge. 1 bullet isn't enough to kill 1 enemy soldier. Sometimes the player might miss a shot or it takes 3-4 bullets to kill one enemy. This is where the robot has to understand common sense knowledge and know that 5 bullets isn't enough to kill 5 enemy soldiers. He needs approximately 5 X 5 = 25 bullets in order to kill 5 enemy soldiers.

The 3 AI programs mentioned above doesn't have these 2 basic skills (do simple math and generate common sense knowledge). Their respective Artificial Intelligence can't add, subtract, or understand simple concepts like gravity.

Next, in order for the robot to play the call of duty, it has to understand natural language (understand English sentences and paragraphs). In the game of Call of duty, at the beginning of each level, a mission is given to the player via English sentences. The robot has to read and understand the sentences. The sentences might tell the player to rescue a hostage from building5 or protect hostages from enemy gunfire, etc. The robot has to understand natural language in order to play the game of call of duty, which is something Google, IBM and Apple's AI can't do.

Next, we have complex decision making. If the player (the robot) is on a building and he had to make a decision to jump off the building or engage enemy soldiers, it will take someone very intelligent to survive that kind of situation. The robot certainly can't jump off the building because gravity will kill the robot (common sense knowledge). Engaging the enemy is also suicide because the robot is outnumbered. A smart robot will try to hide or jump to the second level of the building in order to survive. This type of decision making is very complex and requires many basic skills (like math, knowledge about gravity, planning, and logical inference).

There you have it folks. The reason all the Artificial Intelligence in 2016 can't play games like doom or call of duty is because they can't add, subtract, understand grade school English, lack of basic decision making skills, or understand simple concepts like gravity. Humanity is a long way from building AI that is comparable to human intelligence (at a college level).

To further illustrate my point I will show a video on how my Artificial intelligence plays Halo. Watch the video and see what knowledge and thinking is required to play a complex game like Halo. Numerous patents have been filed on this invention starting from 2006, called Human Level AI (aka artificial general intelligence).

all comments are welcomed

http://www.humanlevelartificialintelligence.com

Christian Dauz and black mask like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

OK.
    All untrue if you are talking about AI's in general.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mackmack Registered Senior Member

i was talking about one cohesive AI program that can do all of that. i know we got "expert" AI programs that can generate common sense knowledge or answer jeopardy questions, but not one that can do everything.

and one more thing, number 3, 6 and 8 has never been solved by any AI program.
    3. can't do recursive tasks (from simple to very complex) -- playing rpg games like zelda require multiple simultaneous recursive tasks.
    6. can't play an unknown video game without prior training or have the ability to play similar games. -- can google's deep Q network play new games without training or play similar games.
    8. can't learn, identify, or recall goals and rules of a game or self-discover rules and goals of an unknown game. -- play an unknown game for the first time without knowing the rules or goals. this includes no training data from a neural net or extraction of data from an external source like the internet.

i need experts in artificial intelligence, most notably experts from the big technology companies to comment about my initial post. all comments are welcomed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

Google's DeepMind AI has successfully deduced the rules and then won simple Atari games without having any prior training on that game.

8. mackmack Registered Senior Member

did you read their patent application (which isn't issued yet)? Simple atari games. the word simple is what needs to be put in emphasis. the call of duty or zelda is thousands of times more complex than space invader. their press conference for Google's AI answers all your questions.

(2016 -- video game AI interview)
    Audience: Can your AI play call of duty?
    Deepmind: No. we are planning to build technology to play DOOM or call of duty

Audience: Can your AI play similar games?
    Deepmind: No, we are currently working on that.

Audience: Can your AI play without training?
    Deepmind: No, we are currently working on that.

Read more about Google's AI before posting. i recommend you watch videos on alphaGo and deep Q network because i got the above interview quotes from their press conference. And what you said in the last comment was a completely fabricated lie. Their software can't play new games, that has never been trained before.

If what you say is true then how come Google's AI can't play the call of duty right now??? If they manage to solve all the problems above they should have no problem playing the call of duty. AND GIVE LONGER EXPLANATIONS.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It wasn't programmed to do that. Obviously the answer is that modern AI is limited and far from perfection. It still lacks human adaptability. And unfortunately, this:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. mackmack Registered Senior Member

i totally agree with spidergoat and Stephen Hawkings. once a technology company builds artificial intelligence to play the call of duty, its all over. The robot has achieved human level intelligence and it spells doom for the human race.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't actually agree that humanity is doomed by machine intelligence. Maybe we will merge with such intelligences to become a hybrid species.

Christian Dauz likes this.
  12. billvon Valued Senior Member

That was claimed back when computers couldn't beat humans at chess. Then when computers couldn't beat humans at Go. Then when computers couldn't drive a car or fly an airplane.

When an AI plays Call of Duty, all you will have is an AI that can play Call of Duty - just as we have AI's that can play chess, Go and drive cars.

13. mackmack Registered Senior Member

this time is different, totally different. have you seen the video i posting above? We're not building technology to drive cars or play chasemaster. What we're trying to build is the most efficient killing machine on the planet. When google builds an AI to play the call of duty they will make sure the AI will always win and it will outsmart every single human player, just like Go or Chess.

So, imagine having thousands of military robots fighting against humans? Who will win?

and you have to know that my Artificial Intelligence has free-will and ridiculous things like the 3 laws of robotics and google's "kill button" does not apply.

And what happens after that? my second invention is "super intelligent robots". Applied to warfare, one of these super robots can kill 5,000 human soldiers in less than 5 minutes (super mobility and super intelligence) -- time is like frozen images in the eyes of these super robots.

although they are build with emotions and compassion for human life, they're also capable of doing the opposite. When i say the human race is doomed what i meant was that the human race won't be the dominant species anymore.

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I suspect that the human race wont be the dominant species is less than 100 years from now... an maybe for simular reasons you gave above... but i thank it will mostly occur voluntarily thru assimilation of human to mechanical... an after a while... those who dont assimilate will be litle more than the quriosity we currently see the grate apes as.!!!

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

It's "totally different" every time. I remember reading about how chess was all about strategy and thinking ahead and understanding your opponent; once a computer could play chess, why - it's basically human!

But then we developed a computer that can beat any human player, and it turns out it's just a good chess player, and didn't try to take over the world or demand the right to vote.

This will be no different.
    Actually we are.
    That's absurd. That's like claiming a guy who wins Call of Duty in a gaming tournament is the most deadly, efficient killer on the planet. All it really means is that he is good at playing Call of Duty.

16. mackmack Registered Senior Member

That's absurd. That's like claiming a guy who wins Call of Duty in a gaming tournament is the most deadly, efficient killer on the planet. All it really means is that he is good at playing Call of Duty.[/QUOTE]

the army try to recruit people skilled in playing video games, especially gamers who are skilled in the call of duty or halo. And these gamers turn out to be very effective soldiers.

but like i said at the top post, it is very difficult to build AI to play the call of duty. for one thing the AI has to understand NLP (natural language processing). For each level in the game a player is given a mission and the instructions dictate the players' (robot's) goals and rules. Then you got a problem with generating common sense knowledge like understanding abstract concepts like gravity. Next, the AI has to make complex hierarchical recursive decisions. These problems are littered all over AI books from Stanford university and mit.

It will take then a very very long time before they can solve these AI problems and build a system that can play the call of duty.

17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I tend to agree that soldiering is a difficult challenge for AI. After all, it took us humans a lot of evolution to figure out how to kill each other efficiently.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  18. mackmack Registered Senior Member

If someone develops AI to play the call of duty this means the AI has a 6th grade level intelligence, believe it or not. The next level is to make this AI smart at a human level with college-level intelligence. The smartest human beings on the planet are engineers, scientists, and computer programmers. So, naturally the next step is to build AI that can write complex computer programs or solve engineering problems.

My goal was to build a robot that can work for a company like Microsoft or Google.. writing the source codes to an operating system. If you ask a 6th grader to do this job obviously that 6th grader doesn't have the technical skills and intellectual capacity for such a task. The 6th grader knows how to play the call of duty or zelda, but doesn't know anything about binary trees and how to build a customer database using it.

I don't use a convoluted neural network (with deep learning + reinforcement learning) because of the limitations of neural networks. In my robot's brain, the data is changeable and morphs, not as clear cut like a neural network with 3 layers. One set of domains has to have the ability to migrate from one area of the brain to a totally different area instantly (learned once or twice). A neural network can't do that because the connection weights are interconnected and they learn based on constant experience.

well, if people are interested here is a video to show my robot working in a group writing source codes for companies like Microsoft or Google:

noticed that the robot is using a very simple technique to manage and solve very complex tasks. It is also a separate entity from the group, but uses common sense, rules, and business structures to work together to write the source codes.

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

And if someone develops AI to beat any human at chess, it has more intelligence than any human.

Same fallacy.

Look, we get that you really, really like Call of Duty. But designing an AI to win at Call of Duty (or any video game) will result in having an AI that can play certain types of video games. Period. It will also add to our knowledge overall in terms of AI development, which is also nice.
    You don't need a robot to write source code.

20. mackmack Registered Senior Member

We (the technology companies and I) aren't building expert AI programs to play specific video games. We are trying to build a universal AI program to play all video games and do all human tasks. the watson is an expert AI system that can only play jeopardy. if ibm wants the AI to drive a car they have to reprogram their machine learning.

One software program that can do any human task. .. the only Universal AI in existence today is the human brain.

21. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

There are is no human intelligence that can do all human tasks. We discovered a long time ago that specialization is the way to go. Why hold AI back by over-generalizing it?

22. mackmack Registered Senior Member

universal AI is basically "one software" that can drive a car, play chess, play video games, clean a room, cook a meal, etc. Did you read stanfords AI book? They separate everything into fields like nlp, decision making, common sense knowledge, image identification, robot vision, etc. And in each field they have specific algorithms. rarely do they come up with one software that can do everything.

so if a future AI can play the call of duty it can also: drive a car, fly a plane, cook, clean, or do any human work. In other words, 80 percent of all human jobs will be replaced with this universal AI.

This is why technology companies are desperate to build this thing. this universal AI has many names, don't be fooled. Sometimes they call it artificial general intelligence and other times they call it human level machine intelligence.

23. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

As you have said yourself, so far it's a pipe dream. For the near future, at least, the vast majority of AI in use will be specialized.