What is your internet's speed?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Saint, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

Mine is 2Mb/sec, downloading speed,
    uploading speed is slower.
    Malaysia is very backward in internet's speed,
    a government-linked company monopolizes the business and does improvement very slowly.

What is the fastest speed in the world now?
    Theoretically, how fast can it go with fibre optics?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tashja Registered Senior Member

Hi!

Mine is 267kbps.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chipz Banned Banned

Before I cancelled it completely -- 20 / 5 mbps [up / down].

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

I believe you said that backwards - you meant 20 down and 5 up, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I've never seen one with the uplink speed higher than the download. In fact, there's really no reason for it unless you're running a very busy server.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

9. Saint Valued Senior Member

yours is very fast

10. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Mine changes for the amount I pay. Most of the time it is about the speed of a turtle but sometimes I

11. Chipz Banned Banned

Yup, I said it backwards.

12. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Right now its 35 Mbps download 5 Mbps upload. I've seen it get up to 50 Mbps, which is what Time Warner claims, but only rarely.

13. Chipz Banned Banned

There's two interesting stories on this really --
    FIOS has brought some seriously fast speeds to a larger public. Offering up to 300/65 mbps and 150/65 for slightly less. If speeds like this can become common, it will change the way we work. On a person level, I frequently have to acquire operating systems which become almost instantaneous. On a business level -- it's not crazy for me to have to move terabyte's of data needed for processing, the bottleneck is almost always bandwidth.

The other is Google Fiber:
    https://fiber.google.com/about/

An entire city of 1Gbps connections....

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Mine right now is 4 Mbps, but here is the kicker:

I am at our lakehouse, enjoying the sunshine, and we don't even have internet. The neighbours' house is a good 100 yards away, and I got a signal booster, which is about 50 yards away at the house. I am sitting by the lake, so that 4 Mbps sounds pretty damn impressive, not to mention, practically statisfying enough to watch video stream...Youtube comes without breaking up...

So I am happy.... And that is what internet speed is all about. If you are statisfied with it, whatever you use it for, who cares if someone can get it twice as fast??? After all, you can't watch a movie faster....

P.S.: Also, internet speed depends (beside other things) on distance. So although it might be slightly relevant, let's say a movie download speed is more important. At home, if enough people seeds a movie, the download speed is 1-1.3 Mbps, which is again, excellent for me.

15. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

I have Comcast and pay for a slightly faster service than the default basic. Using Speedtest.net I see around 35Mbps download and around 6Mbps upload. I run online gaming and need minimal lag time. Also gives me optimum HDX video streaming with VUDU.

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Don't know the speed of my Comcast connection--it's never been a problem. We watch NetFlix online and such. It works fine. How do I check my connection speed?

17. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Copy and paste Speedtest.net on your Bowser browser bar , make sure java is enabled and it will run that test for you.

With ATT dsl I get 5.15 Mbps download and 0.65 Mbps upload. Not very impressive. :huh:

18. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Hey, that's really cool. I got 13.76 Mbps download and 3.69 Mbps upload. Thanks for the link.

19. Emil Valued Senior Member

20. Saint Valued Senior Member

mine is 1.4 Mb/s download speed.
    very slow

21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Dude, you're lucky. I can't event get up to 1.5mbps.
    Fucking Australian Internet. Backwards ass.

22. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

50 megs symmetric. (50 megs down, 50 megs up.)

I can turn it up to 100 megs or even a 1000 megs symmetric if I want, but honestly 50 megs is enough. It's smoking fast.

Just ran a Speedtest, 57.57 down, 35.04 up(currently seeding pretty heavy)

23. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I am currently downloading a game from Steam. ATT has throttled it down to about 600kbps because they don't like Steam, so it is going to take about 6 hours to download and I have to babysit the machine so it doesn't 'go to sleep' and shut down stopping the download.

They claim it takes up too much bandwidth, but I pay them for that 5 Mbps - NOT for 500kbps. I guess that makes ATT a ripoff.