what item best represents you?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by codanblad, Oct 20, 2009.

1. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

i've got a job interview at eb games tomoro, and they've asked me to bring an item that best represents me. A cd or dvd was their suggestion.

the best thing i can think of is the ace of spades, as in the playing card. *edit* i've been thinking about how to explain it fast enough to use in an interview, and this is what i've come up with. motorhead's 'ace of spades' is of my favourite genre of music, 80's metal/hard rock. i love martial arts, and when i fought in a comp. the card was printed on my shorts. in full metal jacket the main character wears one on his helmet, i like kubrick and the character. plus the ace of spades symbolises luck and death which is just plain cool.

am reasonably nervous, my first job interview in six years and i don't want to do anything stupid. interested in people's thoughts as well as what they'd personally use.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

i would have to bring my laptop or cell phone... a way to keep in touch with people, and learn near things. but I love to meet new people, i love hearing about where people live, what they do, it excites me, and not in that perverted way.. I love to know things about people, and things. but thats just me

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Isn’t that what the Avatar on Scifourms is meant to be, something that represents you?
    I Used a Puppy because its ironic with the name ScaryMonster (My nickname is Scary), and I like dogs.
    I don’t have a scanner or camera just now to put a picture of me up and I’m not sure I’d want to use one as an Avatar anyway.
    What’s the deal with the frog thing then?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

I'd take a rubber spider probably.

8. John99 Banned Banned

put a pic of you mom in your wallet. if the interviewer happens to be a middle aged female you break the pic out. she will go nuts over you.

9. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

hmm probably
    its bulbasaur, my favourite pokemon. i wanted something fun and colourful, that could be viewed as a 2x2 jpg without making anyone squint.

10. draqon Banned Banned

I would pick a bonzai tree in a glass jar with lil' butterflies and cute lil' snails.

11. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

most of my family's suggestions have been to take a computer game, but i don't think that represents me, its just what i enjoy doing. taking that into account would you take something else? i found it hard to think of an item that represented more than a single facet of my personality.

i'm pretty sure the interviewer is going to be a gay guy in his twenties, so maybe i should just whip my pic out. i think my acting skills might be inadequate for the photo plan.

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I've never heard of such a thing.
    What kind of job are you interviewing for?

13. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

shop assistant, its a computer games shop.

14. draqon Banned Banned

oh than obviously bring a cd game...or a tabletop game of that game. like, Warhammer tabletop game.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Sounds like a fun interview - but, like I said, I've never heard of such a thing.
    It sounds like something they are using to guage how creative you are and how much of a "fun" personality you have.
    I'd suggest keeping those things in mind when considering what to bring.
    I'd go for something pretty outrageous and off-the-wall.
    Think over-the-top... Do you have a friend with a pet hela monster? Maybe ride a motorcycle into the store? Something memorable.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

That's the problem with this "new age" style interviewing technique.
    Anyone who thinks that one single object (or even a collection of documents on a DVD) can sum up a person is living in La La Land.
    It's a bad as the "describe yourself in one sentence" bullshit I was given on a course about "perfect CV presentation"

As far as I'm concerned anyone who can be summed up in one (coherent less than chapter-length) sentence isn't qualified for most jobs, same with "one object"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Tactical nuclear weapon?
    "Give me the job motherf*cker, or I push the button".

18. draqon Banned Banned

electrolyze water and extract hydrogen to fill up regular balloons, fill them up and fly into the store on the balloons, dressed in a black garment, with a scythe.

19. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

thanks, i found that pretty helpful, you offer a better rundown of their agenda than i came up with.

riding my motorbike into the store was literally my first idea too lol, but its in a big shopping centre, i'd be showing total disregard for rules, which is not what they're looking for in their peons. and i might get a life ban from the entire shopping centre, which would suck a lot (biggest shopping centre in sydney and only 5 min from my house).

i'm gonna stick with the card and try and work my "fun personality" into the routine. i may well salsa while i talk.

20. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

those were my thoughts as well. i liked raven's ideas, i think its just an invitation to prepare a talk so they can measure you. throwing 'tell me about yourself' might be less interesting or revealing than this method. i'll update you all as to how others handled it after the interview.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

This is a good method used by the interviewer to get you to talk about yourself. What do you think the employer wants in an employee? Find something that allows you to talk about your attributes that will be of value to the employer.

It might be something as simple as a rock, to emphasize stability and firmness or it might be something like a sponge, soaking up knoweldge or it may be a machine emphasizing constance and reliability, willingness to work long hours and strength.

Think about it, it is a great opportunity they are offering you describe the value you can bring to their organization.

22. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Me I would take a gun and when asked to explain it well just say nobody fucks with me!

23. draqon Banned Banned

and say bye bye to a job....hello jail sentence life term