What kind of radiation does the sun emit?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by notPresidentAndrew, Jan 14, 2003.

1. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

Does the sun emit alpha, beta, or gamma rays? I need to know because I'm debating with my friend over the moon landing being fake

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. He says that the space modules would have needed tons of led on the outside to keep the radiation from killing the astronauts, but that would only be true if the sun emitted gamma rays.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

The energy that drives the Sun is liberated in a very small region called the core, at the center. The energy is liberated primarily in the form of quickly-moving charged particles and gamma rays. These particles and gamma rays collide with gas atoms countless times. The radiation escaping the surface of the Sun is effectively a continuous spectrum, with only minor deviations from that of a blackbody radiator at T=5770 K.

Overall, the sun releases very little gamma radiation into space; it's mostly visible and UV light.

The dangers to space travelers are actually from two sources: one is solar flares, which are essentially storms on the surface of the sun that release huge amounts of protons (charged particles), and cosmic rays, which are isotropic and come in a variety of "flavors."

- Warren

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.