what makes a human

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by BLASTOFF, Jan 24, 2002.

1. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

What really makes a human being,is it what you do with your life or is it that we just exist,

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deus Seeker of Truth Registered Senior Member

Well, that depends on what you mean. Are you speaking physically, genetically, or philosophically?

A few short thoughts on this:
    Physically - we are made up of biological material, cells, and they are made up of molecules, which are made up of atoms, which are made up of quarks and electrons and such.

Genetically - the number of chromosomes we have combined with specific patterns on them make sure that humans are all recognizable to each other as human.

Philosophically - you are the sum, or the product, or the collection, or whatever, of all of your experiences: things you have done, people you have met, things you have thought. By connection, you are also affected by things the people you have met have done, people they have met, and things they have thought.
    Personally I've also liked the idea that humans are the only species we know of so far that are capable of both incredible compassion and incredible cruelty.

Oh, and if you're looking for a "Meaning of Life" kind of answer, I'd say that there is no "Meaning" with a capital M to "Life" with a capital L. Life has the meaning that you and others assign to it, but most important is the meaning YOU assign to life, both your own and the lives of others.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

re;humans

I know what a human is made of, but how can we really know what a human is, there are murderers/ perverts/ child molesters/ surly you dont call them human,so i beleave that it is the actions that we do with our lives,and how we learn from our mistakes,and as for the meaning of life, well if i dont find out when i am dead then it must not be worth knowing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Deus Seeker of Truth Registered Senior Member

Re: re;humans

Actually, I would call such people human. That does not mean that I agree with their actions, however. I'm not going to try to detail my reasoning here, but I cannot discount these people as not being human. That's an idea some people use to convince themselves that they are "better" and could never possibly be "like those people." It's dehumanising someone else so you don't feel bad for them, and don't care what punishment they receive for their actions. Personally, I don't think that's the kind of thing I want to do.

8. BLASTOFF Registered Senior Member

re;human

DEUS punishment for these kind of people should fit the crime, i beleave in an eye for an eye,a tooth for a tooth, and a life for a life,i do not call some one who murders another person, a proper human, and to lock them up for life,so the tax payer looks after them that is not right, if you come from the U.S.A then you know that they have the death penalty in some states,which i totally agree with,a killer should meet his fate, it is a pity that the british are to stiffer upper liped,we cage these killers and then the tax payers look after the scum, one such case is the moores murders,young children killed by to assholes, and now they are looked after in special prisons, on of them has asked to die,he even tried to starve him self to death, but the human rights said they would not allow it,what a pity, they should have let him die, he would not have been missed. he took life he is not human he does not belong in the human society.

9. Rick Valued Senior Member

An animal is what human is.he is just a common species.there's nothing special,emotional about it.just another little fellow who found his way out of this deadly universeal survival of the fittest fight and the jungle and came a loooong way from that.

bye!

10. Rick Valued Senior Member

P.S : A PERSON UPLOADED TO COMPUTER,WOULD YOU CALL HIM HUMAN?OFF COURSE!,HE'S HUMAN..,BUT ONLY INSIDE THE COMPUTER,WHAT IS HE IN THE REAL WORLD?NOT HUMAN MIND YOU.

bye!

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Interesting thought. If you only look at the physical, then how altered does a human has do become before we stop seeing it as human?
    Would a single functioning brain( bodyless) qualify as human, or would we refer to it as other?
    Is Robocop human or machine?

Nevertheless, we are the same, it´s these bodys that make us become defined as human. Otherwise we are just souls, or inhabitants of a body other than human.

It would be nice to meet an uploaded computerized personality. I don´t think I can decide wether to call it human or an artificial intelligence before I have actually met one.

12. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

:bugeye: I don't think a computer could replicate a human. If I met an uploaded personality, well I'd probably be able to notice its flaws right then. I don't believe in a soul, or a creator, or an afterlife but I know that however way we got here, the human mind is so much more complex than what we can study in a lab. We can observe it, and attempt to rationalize it, yet we can never replicate the pronounced human streak in our evolution. We have all been one creature at one point or another, and everything we are is merely a synthesis of what we have seen. We were not created with a defined plan. Every human has evolved from a different ancestry, from different people and initially animals, so we cannot be replicated.

:bugeye: Some people may say that evolution gives us a less mysterious and therefore less important view of ourselves; I would have to say that if Humans have a plan from God, there are only some morals standing in the way of replicating us-the morals (and I suppose, mystical) hurtle that we cannot replicate what God has designed. I say we cannot replicate what has happened and if we say that's because of God's power, I would say it's not so. I would say we cannot replicate ourselves because we are, in effect, the result of the sum total of events, of knowledge stored in the brains of individuals, and the things done to individuals. By the simple idea that a certain set of stimuli can occur in any order of ways to any certain object at any time, we can see how we cannot only get physically more advanced, but rather more advanced in our collective psyche. You see, the road to our existence has been exciting, Bebelina and we just keep profiting from our diversity of events.

Keep talking.

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

I am talking about a complete brain emulation.Whole Brain exactly as it was inside a computer.complexities,intricasies included.this brain will have a body to carry on itself that"ll be exactly like human.when you are inside the computer can you really then tell the difference?well i dont think so.
    for detailed info on the subject refer to:
    Kmguru's thread life inside a computer

bye!

14. Rick Valued Senior Member

And by the way...Creation has followed big bang and thus evolution.and then some ask me about the time frame about which the system has been going on...and the answer to that is so simple to figure out.we are bound to only extend our imaginations upto which we are designed or our evolution has given us.think of outside this system.the outside world has different rules,it may be unbounded with any rules.and thus giving it a name like heaven...my heading may mean something isnt it?

sorry for going off the topic...

bye!

15. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Human

Because you walk upright? Not quite.
    Because you can talk? Not squawk. Not so.
    Because you can drive a car? Take it so far - and back again.
    Because you can argue a point with a nameless, faceless, religious nut? Maybe - but, Maybe not.

Human

Because you can think without causing a stink?

Sometimes.

Because you can forgive, you can live and let live.
    Well, perhaps, if ya really wanna
    I'm Gonna.

Human is you. Human is me. Human is rapist and child molestee.
    Human is blessing and human is sin.
    For a full definition who knows where to begin.
    look under 'ape' and then if you can.
    Try to move on - You might just make a man

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2002