What makes gravity?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by theorist-constant12345, Feb 25, 2015.

1. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

What do you think? This is a discussion board.

I don't know myself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

I am asking science, it is not my place to make assumptions or speculations.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

"What mechanism" is not a physics question¹ when talking about fundamental physical theories.
    Since general relativity is the currently most accurate description of behavior of gravity,² we can interpret Einstein's equation to say that matter, energy, pressure, momentum and stress all act like a source of space-time curvature which means that
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/einstein.pdf

¹ http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html @ 17, http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...cist-explains-why-science-not-about-certainty , http://insti.physics.sunysb.edu/~siegel/warning.html , and https://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/MathDrama/reading/Wigner.html
    ² http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2014-4/

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  8. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

From your link -

''General relativity explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime. It’s all about geometry. ''

I was not asking about any of the actions of gravity on matter, I was asking what is the cause? In the article link I provided it mentions a graviton, so does all matter contain gravitons?

9. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Gravitons have yet to be be verified.

If they do exist at all.

10. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

So the answer is science does not really know at this time?

11. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

As was mentioned.
    Other than that, gravity remains a mystery.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The effect we call gravity exhibits itself when mass/energy warps/curves space-time.
    Why or how that happens we do not really know.
    Gravitons are hypothetical particles that transmits the "force" of gravity in the framework of quantum theory.

13. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

Ok thank you for the information, I can not expand on what has been said, I dare not.

14. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

If you continue on this course, you will receive additional infraction points. Sentence one of my post already explained that you are asking bad questions, but I have edited that post to support my claims with multiple sources.

15. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

I don't think people mind if you actually try to learn. What they mind is you spouting nonsense/trolling.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You cannot.
    Any "expansion" by you would be unscientific crap.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

It's reasonably common knowledge... :shrug:
    Science does not know everything, but at this time it has done an excellent job in explaining what we do know about the Universe around us.

Just please, pretty please, don't insult us by manufacturing a reason/methodology as to what you believe gravity is or arises from.

18. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

I quote you my link I provided, if it is not a Physics question, then why are Physicists researching it?

''Gravity is one the four fundamental forces of the universe and is considered a noncontact force. It is what holds the planets in orbit as well as the very universe itself. It is what keeps us from floating off into space and plays a crucial role in almost every nature process from the ocean tides to the body’s circulatory system. However what causes gravity? What is the mechanism that makes it work? Physicists have only partially answered this question. The first person to comprehensively describe it was Isaac Newton.''

19. jcc Registered Senior Member

If Coulombs's law stands universally, we should assume that every atom or charged particle are connected by their force field across the whole space.

An atoms force field does not end at atom radius, but extend to infinity. In whole, an atom or planet maybe electrically neutral, but Every charge within has its own force field beyond distance, those forces overlapped to produce chemical bonding, magnetism and gravity. Ever wonder why is Fe=q1q2/r^2, Fg=m1m2/r^2, and mass proportional to proton numbers within it?

20. jcc Registered Senior Member

21. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Damn, I might report something that isn't just an ad.

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

What you should remember is that although we may be ignorant to the why and how, it adequately explains why we don't float off the earth, and why the Earth does not float off into the void and every aspect of the solar system including BHs.
    Our models also have enabled us to go into orbit, land on the Moon, send probes to every main body in the solar system, in fact in the case of Voyager, to meet up with four of the outer planets on one journey......to land on Mars, and land space craft on piddling little asteroids in the middle of nowhere.
    And most of that has been done by using Newtonian mechanics...GR was not needed..

23. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Your pop-science magazine article written by Some dude on the Internet is not in a position to impugn the scientific source who said hunting after a mechanism in the absence of evidence is fruitless. That's what Newton (also cited in your pop-physics article) meant when he wrote: "hypotheses non fingo".