What news outlet/resource informs, and doesn't try to influence?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wegs, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Are you intelligent? Asking for a friend.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

We need a facepalm emoji.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Hey friend.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

wegs likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Just how does Dr. Who follow like that?

wegs likes this.
  8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Hi

9. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Well she is a woman and women have needs.

10. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yep, you definitely failed, Beaconator.

12. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

What I can't be my own commentator?

You know beer is just going to click on the alerts button write something and miss the self induced silliness...

I'm actually kind of amazed at how easy it was to find one with Warf on it. I just typed "star trek facepalm" and it was the second pick!

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Or you could use your special powers for good...

14. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself. Iceaura does not disclose a whole lot of personal details, but it has always been pretty clear to me that he is U.S. based.

15. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

No matter how ineffectual, compromised, ... whatever the Democrat party may be, the ostensible benefit to the people of most of their policies and ideals should be apparent to even the most inattentive and/or intellectually compromised. With the Republicans... well, how do you sell Joe Everyman--whose got virtually no interest in or understanding of, say, economics--on something like "trickle down economics?"

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  16. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

What special powers?

I'm dumb as a box of rocks stuck in a paradox.

17. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Well, I sure we can work with that Mr. Beaconator. Our last client was Forest Gump.

18. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

I'm the monkey he flew into outer space with.

Seattle likes this.
  19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The Bandar-log never learn. That's what's entertaining about the inevitability of their otherwise repetitive and tedious attempts at personal attack, trolling, playground insult. etc. - they don't change, they don't correct themselves with new information.
    All of that post is not only wrong, but obviously - facepalm seems to be the going term - wrong. You are living in a fantasy world, one in which your "guess" - once typed by you - becomes evidence, part of your reality, rather than a dumb and offensive mistake. You never reality check anything. And that is a field mark, in the US.

1) I post on several subjects, both briefly and at some length, as a simple search on the handle would verify for you in two minutes. Ot you could try really hard, get that ol' brain cooking along full speed, and recall the topic involved the last time (a couple of weeks ago) you and some "side" you were on accused me of lying etc. (Hint: "freedom")
    2) I have identified myself for years, right here, (reluctantly, because I can smell Republican voters around a corner and we all know what they are like when somebody calls them on their bs) as born in the US and a long time resident of Minnesota. Explicitly. In posts that I know you have read. In literally hundreds of posts I have argued explicitly from the position that I am an experienced and educated and analytical American citizen living all my life among working class fellow American citizens, thereby with some advantages in discussing - say - racism in American politics, with Schmelzer, or gun control, with a laundry list of posters here.

Given that - what I know you have read of my posting here - you might want to go easy on the accusations, eh? Depending on your motive for making them, of course: as standard Republican propaganda tactics they wouldn't require any basis in fact, the goal being simply to attack - put the other guy on the defensive, with the added flexibility from discarding factual reality an advantage rather than a disqualification. Should I assume that is your motive, just because if fits the facts, or should I continue to describe your allegiance to the Party line and tactical approach as yet more evidence of its influence on US political discourse?
    3) Few of my posts on this forum deal with the US "political system" as a topic. None on this thread - the US news and media establishment, especially its adoption of Partisan framing from Republican sources, is as close as they come.

Here's a question for you: can you post a paraphrase - or even name the subject - of any of my posts before this one on this thread? Try it as an exercise - name the post, and see if you can put it in your own words.
    And in that you embody the stereotypical Republican voter, Congressman, media pro, and poster here perfectly. The motivations are always the topic. That's the case with every single one of you guys here - three posts into anything remotely political, and your entire focus is on your assumptions and projections of other people's motives, honesty, political allegiances, personal hypocrisy, etc.

Not the actual motives, of course - all you had to do for that with me was ask, and I once again, as so often before, provided mine for this and similar threads, above. Nothing like that. Instead: Your "guesses".

And your guesses are ridiculous. Not just wrong, but idiotic. Wild flailings from a position of complete ignorance. Projections and self-revelations and parrot versions of Fox Hair that would embarrass a turtle.

And - this keeps coming up - perfectly aligned with the similar guesses and projections and nonsensical blatherings of Sean Hannity, Bret Stephens, Erick Erickson, that guy Hugh MSNBC tries to promote, every talking head on Fox News. The Republican Party line on its critics and opponents, from Limbaugh's or Gingrich's 1994 ass to your 2019 mouth, barely even gets digested.

And that, of course, is my motive and topic and so forth on this thread: the Republican Party line as it influences US news media and through it all public discussion - framing it, setting its priorities, fixing its vocabulary, and limiting its scope.

It is stereotypical fascist propaganda. It markets a fantasy world. It wins by repetition and dominance, not argument. It's only legitimate role in a discussion forum such as this one is as a topic of analysis.

And it directly - predominantly, overwhelmingly - concerns any American who is trying to find a reliable source of straight news: they have to avoid it, which means they have to recognize it. And as we see, most of them can't.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    RainbowSingularity likes this.
  20. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Ascribing criticism and opposition and confrontation and so forth to "outside agitators", "foreign meddling", "bused in liberal activists', "left/communist/unAmerican influence", and so forth, is of course part of the Republican Party propaganda feed. Facts are irrelevant - if the Republican propagandists can get American news feeds to battle for months over where Obama came from, they win regardless of where Obama come from. When Republicans chant that folks like AOC should go back to where they came from, the facts of her origin are irrelevant - keeping her on the defensive is the point.

The Republican propaganda victim has been told over and over and over again, is now certain beyond doubt, that they are sincere and well-meaning "real Americans" - and therefore these repeated propaganda memes, which have come to be via repetition and inundation their views and claims and beliefs, are those of sincere and well-meaning real Americans. That's the Party line. And by the bothsides frame, the "other side" is therefore in question on those characteristics: to the extent that anyone seriously and uncompromisingly confronts or conflicts with the beliefs and claims of established real Americans they appear to be other than sincere, other than well-meaning, other than real American. And so the search for their true motives and nature and so forth begins.

In my case, during my years of tenure here and now on this thread: I am insincere (lying about something, usually unspecified, sometimes invented whole), or have a hidden agenda (not well-meaning, hiding my allegiances - in my case as a Democrat, a gun owner, a gun hater, a Bernie Bro, a woman, an anti-vaxxer, a misogynist, a science hater, a lineman on my high school football team, etc etc etc); or am not a real American but a foreigner of some stripe (the latest one, here).

Nothing strange about the approach, except the lack of self-awareness in its proponents is a bit eerie when experienced first hand.

21. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

and what was Jared Commissar & Donald John Cossack Junior doing ?

"i had no improper contact"

lol
    very Romantic

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/claudiakoerner/trump-father-false-germany

he looks like a half Italian polish jew with a bit of Croatian thrown in.

Beer w/Straw likes this.
  22. Seattle Valued Senior Member

No, I can't name the title of any of your threads. Once I see that they are predictable rants I usually move on.

I've never voted Republican so your accuracy can't be any better than mine. It turns out you live here and I don't vote Republican.

Minnesota isn't still a part of the U.S. is it? Maybe that was my mistake. I'm never sure where the Canadian border is drawn in that area since it doesn't really matter much does it?

Ok, so you are under-employed in Minnesota and are upset by the weather and the economy there? I get the weather part but the economy is pretty good in Minneapolis isn't it?

Have you heard any good jokes lately? You strike me as not being the humorous type but it's worth asking.

23. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

fancies himself as a bit of the economist extraordinaire lol