What sci fi books have we all read?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Fraggle Rocker, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Someone recently complained that most of the discussions on this forum are about sci fi movies and TV shows. I think the reason is simply that a lot more people watch the movies and TV shows than read the books, so there are more people to join the discussion.

But moreover, we're lucky if there's one good sci fi movie every couple of years, and good sci fi TV shows are even rarer. As a result, we've all seen almost all of them. I personally watched "Earth: Final Conflict" faithfully up to the last episode, even though after season two my wife had to explain what the heck was going on every week. I desperately watched shows like "Andromeda," "Eureka," and even "Lexx" for a long run, hoping they would get better.

(See how I cleverly got in all those references to the visual media, to attract the majority of the readers of this forum?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

So what if we decided to make this dude happy and start a thread about written sci fi? What books have we all read? Or enough of us to have a discussion, anyway? I'll observe the convention that we're not including fantasy so the fact that we've probably all read "Lord of the Rings" and the Harry Potter books doesn't help.

Here are some titles that might show up on that list.

Isaac Asimov: I, Robot
    Ray Bradbury: The Martian Chronicles
    Robert Heinlein: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Stranger in a Strange Land
    Frank Herbert: Dune
    Aldous Huxley: Brave New World
    C. S. Lewis: Out of the Silent Planet trilogy
    Larry Niven: Ringworld

Drenn, these books are all at least 30 years old. Most of them are widely read outside the sci fi community and are grudgingly treated by the critics as "real" literature. Have you people read all of them or are they passé among the cognoscenti?

Are there any more recent works that we've all read? Is there any consensus in the sci fi readers community as to which books are truly great?

I wonder how many of you have even heard of the contemporary books I consider great (relatively contemporary; Forward is already dead):

David Brin: The Postman (no I did not go see the movie)
    Robert L. Forward: Dragon's Egg
    Alan Dean Foster: Midworld
    James P. Hogan: Code of the Lifemaker
    Robert Silverberg: Lord Valentine's Castle
    Joan Sloncewski: A Door into Ocean

Could this forum support a discussion of sci fi books?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

all 100 or so books of Stanislaw Lem. Why havent anyone read this guy's novels? Isaac Asimov, Bradbury, and Lewis dont compare even close. o well...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

I've read only two of those listed:
    Dune and The Postman.
    I've read all the Dune books, actually. The original ones, anyway. I liked them all, though the middle ones could be considered extremely boring.

I thoroughly enjoyed Brin's writing style and themes, and ended up reading Earth, 2010, and some of his Uplift series. I recommend both.

I think Heinlein's Starship Troopers should go on the list, as well as some William Gibson. His Burning Chrome anthology (which includes Johnny Mneumonic), or maybe Neuromancer.

Ender's Game, though I enjoyed it for the pulp it was, deserves nowhere the near universal praise it has recieved. The rest of the series was terrible. I couldn't bring myself to read more than the second book.

I read and greatly enjoyed L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth. Terrific space opera. I tried reading some other Hubbard, which was really terrible. Something about an extremely corrupt galactic race, where the protagonist (and narrator) was sent to observe earthlings.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm looking for a consensus of books that most of us have read. We can't discuss books that only one person has read. So far only two people have posted and already we've got only two books in common.

Dragon complains that no one has read Lem. (I read "The Cyberiad" as I noted in another thread. It was amusing.) Americans generally don't like foreign sci fi and Lem is about as foreign as you can get.

I suspect the problem is as I have said. There are lots of sci fi books and we just haven't all read the same ones so we can't talk about them among ourselves.

I've read all of Larry Niven's solo work and most of Alan Dean Foster's. (No one has enough time to read all of Foster's, he writes at least four a year.) They are two of America's biggest-selling sci fi authors. Yet I never run into anyone else who's read any of Foster's and very little of Niven's.

8. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Solaris is my favorite sci-fi book of all time... though I havent had the chance to read too many. Its still a wonderfully crafted piece of literature.

So, I've read some Lem.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I've read those all except The Moon is a Harsh Mistress(which I've heard is good but never came across a copy.) and the Out of the Silent Planet Trilogy. Back in high school, I read the entire scifi section at my public library. So I'm well versed in the "classics".
    I've not read any of those, although I've read things by most of those authors.

I agree. That was a great book, and a terrible movie. A really, really, really bad movie. Once I heard about his "religion", I never read anything else by him.

I might add David Weber, the master of military SciFi especially his Honor Harrington series.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

John Varley, 'steel beach'.

you never see it anymore in the bookstore. And that is sad. You can merely hope your local library has a copy.

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Firstly, to Fraggle:

To be clear: I did not complain about sci fi tv shows and movies in any way.
    My problem was the insipid 'versus' type threads.

That being said, I have no problem whatsoever discussing visual sci fi media. I have been, and continue to be a big fan of a vast array of sci fi tv shows and flicks.

Now, with respect to sci fi lit:

I've read every title on your first list; they could all be called classics. If i had to pick a favourite, I'd say Niven.

I've also read every book on your 'contemporary' list, although I'd quibble with them being called contemporary.

As Roman noted, Gibson is a shining example of truly innovative sci fi. I've read everything he's written, and all of it is excellent.

My notable contemporaries:

Gibson
    Iain M Banks
    Stephen R. Donaldson
    Charles Stross
    Nick Sagan
    Alastair Reynolds

One of my favourite sci fi books of all time was "A Philosophical Investigation" by Philip Kerr.

A special mention should go to Philip K. Dick, an author that surely belongs on the list of classics.

12. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

What ?
    You didn't like Lexx ?
    LoL
    I think they were trying deliberately to be incomprehensible with that one.
    Cool dead guy...

I've read all of these except The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, which I actually have a copy of, and the 2nd & third books of the Silent Planet trilogy.
    Also by some of the same authors -
    Foundation Trilogy, Caves of Steel, and Robots of Dawn, by Asimov.
    Starship Troopers, and Job: A Comedy of Justice, By Heinlein.
    The Dune trilogy, God Emperor of Dune, Destination Void, The Jesus Incident, The Lazarus Effect, White Plague, The Eyes of Heisenberg, Whipping Star, and The Dosadi Experiment, by Herbert.
    The Ringworld Engineers, The Ringworld Throne, World Out of Time, and The Integral Trees, by Niven - plus The Mote In God's Eye, The Gripping Hand, Footfall, and Lucifer's Hammer by Niven & Jerry Pournelle, and Niven's Man-Kzin War stuff.

I've read Into the Out Of by Alan Dean Foster.
    James P. Hogan's Inherit the Stars, and The Gentle Giants of Ganymede

Don't read much sci-fi any more - unless you want to count surreal stuff like Gore Vidal's Live From Golgotha - tho' Job was a recent one.
    I find myself drawn more to historical works these days.

Perhaps rather than specific books - although I would certainly be willing to contribute to such discussions - something more like the ways in which various works delved into or dealt with certain themes - alien contact and/or human interaction with alien species, or interstellar travel, for example.

13. Roman Banned Banned

So could we discuss Starship Troopers a little bit?

To start off, do you think Heinlein was endorsing fascism?

14. draqon Banned Banned

no. love the movie.

15. Roman Banned Banned

The movie was terrible. If you want proper space marines, watch Aliens.

16. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

No, I think it was more that Heilein was so thoroughly anti-communist that he comes off as pro-fascist. Themes in the book such only those who serve in the Federation military being allowed to vote or hold political office, and service instructors denigrating contemporary (to the reader) democracy and it's institutions certainly seem to give his setting a manner of "sturm und drang" which seems to hearken back to nazi ideology.

I think the movie gave the socio-political themes in the book the same sort of slap-dab treatment that old film version Dune gave the complexities of Herbert's plot, resulting in more confusion than anything else.
    Plus the troops themselves didn't have powered armor, which I read was nixed in order to pay for the CGI Bugs. ( First time I'd ever seen that sort of CGI, and it floored me. ) Seems to me they were overmatched by the Bugs as a result.

I think Heinlein might have approved of making the M.I co-ed, and having 2 Troopers gettin' it on, though, given the sexual shenanigans of some of the characters in his later works. I can't recall the specific book, but one instance arises where a character has sex with a female clone of himself, and then jokingly muses about whether or not it constitutes masturbation...
    Jubal Harshaw, IIRC - tho' not, if memory serves, in Stranger In A Strange Land.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sorry, misunderstood. Anyway my misunderstanding kicked off an interesting discussion.
    Scientists seem to like Niven because he's rather meticulous about detail and credibility. I really liked some of his early books like Protector because he got into some interesting philosophical issues.

I forgot about Banks. I like his stuff and should have put him on my list.
    He wanders across the line between fantasy and sci fi. And sheer silliness. I really like the Spellsinger series. It seems to have petered out once the protagonist found his way back to our universe but it was a real hoot while it lasted.
    There was a third book in that series, you should catch it if you liked the other two. He's also very meticulous about his science and has created some fabulous and intricate scenarios.
    That sounds like something out of Time Enough for Love. Lazarus Long does it all, including going back in time and doing it with his mother.

18. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I'm not a great fan of sci-fi, but I've got a few of Asimov's books.

I prefer Iain M Banks without the M, when he writes fiction.

19. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Also I suspect that the age profile of this forum is such that less of them read than if the age profile was older.

Read them all, except the MArtian Chronicles. Some Bradbury short stories and Fahrenhheit 451 is about as far as I have gotten.
    I am however not sure if you could find them all in a modern bookstore.

Widely read outside the SF community? THe only reason Dune would be widely read outside the SF community, (Whaterver that is) is because they've made a film and then am iniseries about it. And most people give up after Dune messiah or Children of dune. Some Christians would read the silent planet trilogy, but hardly anyone else would, and I'm sure many USA'ians would consider it influenced by the devil anyway.
    As for the cognoscenti, which preening morons to you refer to?

Of course it can, we've had one or two, albeit short. Also bigblue head had some good ideas about stuff, although I have no idea what happened to him. He wrote several good long posts on some topics related to Sf and fantasy.

Anyway, your list of "contemporary" books is waaaayyyyy out of date. I have code of the lifemaker on my shelf, waiting to be read, it was published in 1983. The postman is ancient as well, and I have yet to read Lord valentines castle.

So, a better question would be, have you heard of or read:
    Charles Stross
    Neal Asher
    Peter F Hamilton
    Ken Macleod
    Adam Roberts
    Justina Robson
    Lois McMaster Bujold

There are more, but these are some of the more well known authors from the last 10 to 15 years.
    Some of them have even won hugos etc.

If you havn't read any Stross, you are so far out of date that you might as well just give up.

20. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

lol...

See my post above....

Stross is amazingly refreshing.

21. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Some other thoughts:

Niven is good, but his early stuff was much better, before he got into silly political stuff later on. His sometimes co-author pournelle seems to be a might makes right weirdo, like SM Stirling.

Glaucon:
    Your list of contemporaries includes only two authors that I know of who are actually writing modern stuff. Banks keeps repeating himself, with a few new bells and whistles. I have not read any of Gibsons newer stuff, but ceratinly his paradigm changing stuff was back in the 80's.
    Donaldson- well, has he written anything in the past decade thats any good?
    Who is Nick Sagan?

And as for Stross- well, the disclaimer is that I know him, he drinks in the same pub I go to.

Alastiar reynolds- is a pain in the neck. I just managed to finish his first book. Chasm city was alright, although relied upon an incredible lot of conincidences to get going. His latest book or two have been impenetrable and very very dull, although with some worthwhile action scences and plots. If he could learn to make his characters more human or less human in a way which is interesting, and shorten his prose, he would do ok.

But, have you read any John Meaney? UK author, has a style all of his own, but doesnt seem to quite have hit the big time, despite his trilogy out now being pretty good.

22. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I posted my first post before I read yours.
    Stross actually takes a lot of the nanowibbletech seriously, like that chap Mcarthy I think he is, who was writing about it all back in the 90's.
    And Stross still has further to go, he can still get better.
    Accelerando for example, only really appeals to geeks and know it alls. But his hidden family series sells well, and the two books set in the eschaton universe are fairly mainstream yet obviously written by Charlie.
    Have you read any justina robson? She's good, in an odd sort of way.

23. draqon Banned Banned

Aliens is drama horror that has nothing much to do with sci-fi.