What was the most significant Event in the History of Man?

Discussion in 'History' started by Xerxes, Jan 28, 2004.

1. kx000 Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NietzscheHimself Banned Banned

The creation of atomic weapons, because they could end us all...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. eyeswideshut Registered Senior Member

Realization of self must have been a blast.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. smellincoffee Registered Member

Putting pivotal moments in biological evolution aside, there have been two great revolutions in human society: the conversion of hunter-gatherers into settled populations with class inequality and specialized jobs; and secondly, the industrial revolution which made us radically dependent on fossil fuels and turned the most of humanity into urban creatures. Not only have we come to depend on a highly volatile construct to get basic supplies, but the majority of us now live in urban areas with more stimuli than our brains were evolved to handle on a regular basis.

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Indeed, well-put.

Welcome to here...

I'm not the brightest bulb in this bunch, but I'm definitely sharper for having hung out here a while...

9. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

I have often thought that Alexander the Great had some of the most lasting impact on the world, and in particular the evolution of western culture and religion. In some ways you see this resonating still today as a struggle between the two cultures in America.

It is interesting that the Bible is demarcated by the rise and fall of Alexander's model for organizing the world. Hebrew fades into obscurity, then for 300 years the Jewish scriptures are written in Greek, now incorporating some influences from them. Then, when Rome has the wheel and Isreal needs to be saved from brutal oppression, the Jesus story emerges, built out of the fabric of mythology and legend from lands all around the known world, stories that Greeks undoubtedly carried in and out of those lands, the way bees carry pollen.

The Rise of Christianity defines western history from that point forward. It was huge. And out of that history has been born this modern world which is so deliberate in its crush to forever be more civilized that it has even devised a way (no doubt) to immortalize something as mundane as this: a random tribute to an ancient warrior king.

10. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Where would we be without our mum?

11. river

ancient history

and the study of B.C.E

12. river

we are so use to A.D. history that we have forgotten our history , Human History , largely of B.C.E.

13. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

*What was the most significant event in the history of man?*

Well, as far as I'm concerned, that would be my birth...

14. Arioch Valued Senior Member

I dunno, I thought that our creation of synthetic life was pretty monumental. Never have we come closer to understanding our origins.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The ability to adapt, to the environment, to change and to others.

16. Socratic Spelunker Registered Senior Member

The invention of the microchip, maybe?

17. river

Ancient History

even before the Pyramids

this History , Ancient History , is far more important than we relise

it is apart of our History that Humanity needs to know about , seems though not to get respect that it deserves

18. Socratic Spelunker Registered Senior Member

Item #3

The most significant event in human history was when we evolved away from barbed penises.

19. river

Ancient History

tells us where we come from , but more importantly , what we can accomplish and have accomplished

20. Socratic Spelunker Registered Senior Member

Is all of ancient history and "event"? Dont you think that's a bit too broad?

Its like if I asked your what the most significant event in human history was and you say, "All of it."

Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't think it really answers the question and it doesnt even make me ponder anything in a meaningful way.

21. river

no

yes and no

true all of History matters

but the most important is our Ancient History

it , Ancient History does though , we , Humanity are just not use to thinking that Ancient History has anthing to do with the present

from pyramids and before

why ?

what is so non-interesting about our Ancient past ?

because it is actually quite facsinating , really

22. Socratic Spelunker Registered Senior Member

True, history matters, but my understanding is that the question asks for a specific event. What about history is significant? The invention of tools? Fire? The wheel? The conquest of Alexander the Great? The rise of Christianity? The discovery of the Americas? Surely, not all of these things are equally significant. So what is the most significant event in human history?

And sure, history is plenty interesting, but once again, it doesnt make me think in a new way about the significance of any particular event.

23. river

specific event , a specific event

I don't think thats possible .... actually its not possible