What was your best purchase last year?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Seattle, Feb 7, 2023.

1. el es Registered Senior Member

A cordless polesaw, not just for the redbud trees out back, but also the juniper hedge out front.

I am no longer a spring chicken, so when using a handsaw, my arm gets tired after only about one minute.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I actually bought something similar. I had a very wide and tall hedge out by the street. It's on a hill and it also slopes down into the yard. So it's difficult to use ladders, pruners, etc. to reach the whole thing. I do some from the street, some from the yard and the middle is still difficult.

I've used pruners, underpowered electric hedge trimmers and it's still a problem. Finally I cut the height to 7 feet or so with heavy duty hand pruners, one branch at a time and then I was determined to keep the new growth to that height.

I could cut new growth with an electric trimmer but my old one never worked, was too short and kept jamming. Last year I bought a much, much longer electric trimmer and it has a lot more power and I'm finally able to stand on a step ladder (stable, only 4 steps) and with the greater power and length I can keep everything in the yard trimmed. It is tough on the arms when you have to fully extend your arms but with the extra power, it works quickly and I don't have to extend my arms like that for long.

I can see how the pole saw was helpful for you. I had an extendable pole "trimmer" where you pulled a cord and it could cut a thin branch but nothing more.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. el es Registered Senior Member

Just bought a DVD player with a USB port. So, from cassette to DVD to flash drive for MP4 videos. It's getting hard to keep up anymore.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I was just bored really I guess but I'm hoping the car tire chains I just ordered will be the best purchase this year.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I live in the middle of a steep hill and the few times a year when we have snow, I'm effectively stuck. If I could just get up the hill I'd be able to easily get to my local grocery store. When I bought my latest car I was thinking about finding something with AWD but the cars that had it ended up being about twice as much as I need to pay otherwise.

Maybe chains will be a cheap alternative.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

A portable jump starter is very useful, better than cables. I was once stopped in a line of cars on a street that usually doesn't have much traffic, as I got closer I saw that a cop was directing traffic around a car that was stalled. I jumped out with my starter and got it going in like 30 seconds. Cop got on the radio, "cancel the tow, we got a good samaritan here". Impressed my lady friend too.

Also, you can plug it into the cigarette lighter, you don't have to go to the battery itself.