What went wrong

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Buddha12, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If you accept the concept of multiverses, then in some of them your posts are all still there.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Emil Valued Senior Member

They have sold our souls. They stole 20 hours from us.
    Run while you still can !
    Save our souls !

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. LiverOil Registered Member

I've only been here for a week, but I'm starting to notice that the crank to science ratio is like a division by zero.

In particular, @AlphaNumeric you seem to take a leading role in refuting the cranks on this forum (and, by God, looking at your post history you've been doing this for years! Doesn't seem to be working boet). You might have something to say in my thread dealing with cranks in real life. Assuming that your approach works in real life, which I don't think it does, because it would probably get me sent to visit human resources if I were to try...

--
    We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they've done.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

What ever went wrong, it is happening again. Two posts I just made are gone* - Second one displayed but needed edit, when I tried - it was gone and "settings" is showing no new posts exist but I just saw, briefly, two I had made. Last of my several recent surviving posts has time stamp of 6:05 but hour may be different for you. I see if this one posts and lives.

No doubt it is all QQ´s fault -he knows a lot about data bases etc. (Just kidding QQ).
    * one was a reply to Quadraphonics´s post but it is gone now too.

8. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

ha....
    There appears to be an issue with the posting process. Often a post will be posted with spelling word perfect and then when you check the post you will find a few words spelling mixed up requiring editing to fix. On one occassion I had to insert a second word in brackets , next to the mis-pelled word for the word to be spelled correctly.
    This happens also with the PM system and would normally be highly suggestive of spy ware [Form keystroke banking software of some sort] . However as we at sciforums are such an accepting bunch of veggens we don't want to suggest yet another conspiracy now do we? OH no!!!!

As Sargent Fritz [Hogans Heros] used to ssay: [ example: ssay ]
    "I see no-ting, I seeeee no-ting"

Also during the fiasco subsequent to the so called "roll back" the contact forms on all the web sites I am in control of, some 30 of them, all lost function due to their security systems being made inaccessable. Captcha security was lost making the contact forms unuseable. Those sites are still currently offline and I am waiting for client complaints to start rolling in. [$80,000+ aud worth of assets currently useless]
    Which is one of the reasons I published my personal email addresses in the forum. The software house that dev. the contact form software is not responding to requests for assistance either.

Timing may be coincidence yes?

9. seagypsy Banned Banned

Oh wow, I thought I was nuts. The last few posts I have made, I have painstakingly proofread and corrected any spelling mistakes. Even by looking up words. I have checked for flow of sentences and everything. But it always seems that as soon as I post it, prepositions (to, be, at, on) disappear entirely or as in QQ's example words are misspelled.

I always edit immediately after posting and worry that people will think I am being sneaky or something.

I don't think its a conspiracy but quite possibly a software glitch not saving the posts correctly before transferring it to the public board.

10. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

That's not being sneaky...for some reason, some typos are totally invisible to me in the edit screen, but magically appear after I post. Particularly the use of you, your, and you're...and for some reason, I leave the "n't" (like "wouldn't") off of words that completely changes the meaning of the sentence.

11. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

well as you know your own typos so well then you should be able to pick up a software induced typo as well...

now that does sound delicious... are you a Chef?

12. Emil Valued Senior Member

This happens to all members or only to some?
    Should be investigated !

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

word on the grape vine has indicated a particular spyware package [ I won't name it here as I want to catch the buggers at it] is installed but as yet I have been unable to independantly confirm it... Paranoid? vat tis dis ting called Paranoil

sending the info somewhere... waiting to be traced ....

14. Emil Valued Senior Member

15. seagypsy Banned Banned

Well I did some experimenting with my last few posts and I think I may have figured out what happens. As you are typing a post you may notice that occasionally a little yellow flag that says "Auto-saved" pops up in the bottom right corner of the text box you are posting in. It's at that moment that it saves your post as is. Anything you post immediately after that is not saved until the flag pops up again. Then if you lose your connection to the net or accidentally click away from the page, you can come back to the post, click reply, then click restore auto saved content. It will then restore everything you typed up to the point of the last auto-save. The same way ms word will Auto-Save occasionally in case your computer screws up on you, so that you don't lose EVERYTHING you have typed.

So its my guess that when you hit post, if you made any corrections to your post after the last auto-save those corrections do not get transferred to the public post. I tested this by waiting for the auto-saved flag, then immediately added three random words to the post, and hit post quick reply. the post went through without the three random words included. Now that is what happens when you use "Post Quick Reply". It does not seem to happen when you click "Go Advanced" and post from there.

Try it for yourself, see if you get the same results. If you do, then the people who fix things around here may be able to find a way to avoid the weirdness.

16. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Way to go Sherlock Holmes!

17. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

seconded

regarding the cooking ...
    just that I also dabble as a bachelor and love entertaining the ladies on the odd occassion. Cocktail parties are fun to do to.
    I was seriously considering building an online community "called bachelor pad.com or something similar which would include,
    Economy super quick recipes
    Budget dishes easy to cook for any bachelor under $3 per serve etc.
    Male health issues
    Male survival skills
    negotaiation skills [re: dating and work]
    Sports
    Body sculpture
    News
    Money matters
    online forum
    e-zine and newsletter systems
    etc ..
    possibly later [mid 2013] you may be interested in collaborating on the idea?

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Where will I see that "restore" to click on it? (what part of the screen after click on reply.) I´d like to know how to use the auto save as I often lose stuff when my Fire Fox decides to "stop working" and I must use Control+Alt+Del to close it and then restart it.

19. seagypsy Banned Banned

If you lose your FF and need to get back what you lost. Go to the thread that you were going to post in. Instead of finding the post you are replying to and clicking "Reply With Quote" go to the last page of the thread and click the black "+Reply to Thread" button instead. In the lower left corner of the text box that opens up, assuming an auto-save occurred before you lost your FF, there will be a white button that says "restore auto-saved content". click that and anything you lost up until the latest auto-save will be restored, including any quotes you had included.

20. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

So now I notice that without actually logging in I can't open the "new posts" area for all it says is "there are no new posts". So is this the way this forum is going to be head, you must log in to see what's happening? I still can go to the forums topics and open each one to view what is being saidso I don't know why I must log in to view all new posts now. Or am I doing something wrong? :shrug: is

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  21. Gustav Banned Banned

sci is gonna eat itself
    all hail the devs and their funky ass upgrade

HAIL!

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Love ya, man

Gustav, since you're here 'twixt your regular suspensions, let me simply take the moment to tell you how much I love you.

You know. I'm on my -nth beer .... I love you, man!

23. Gustav Banned Banned

of course
    we are after all...family