What went wrong

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Buddha12, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I just noticed another thing to complain about:
    When you search for a strange word you know you used in the post you are trying to find, no longer do the search results list the posts (or if it can, I can´t find how to make it do that.) in which it appears. The thread is listed instead.

I was looking for my post which told what Brazil´s "Bolsa Familia" was and how it worked. With old system I saw the first line of the posts in which my search word appeared in, but now I only learn that somewhere in 50 or so pages of the thread "BRIC News..." it exists. Hell, I knew that already. I could have gone there directly without the useless search and begin looking page-by-page as the stupid new system forced me to do!

I never liked the old search program much, but the new one is orders of magnitude less useful!

Thanks to SeaGypsy for post 116. I found that box, I think, by just starting to edit the lost post (when some of it was posted) and immediately hitting the restore box button in lower left of screen. Anyway I did get back 100% of one of my "crash eaten" posts even several days later.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I still don't know why the rollback woud have taken 20+ hours to complete when it should have been easy in 10 minutes...
    very puzzling...:shrug:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RealityCheck Banned Banned

Hi QQ, everyone.

I suspect it's a matter of 'which version' was to be re-instated if the 'reset' button was pushed? I understand that they were in the middle of some significant software modifications which may have been in mid-stream when the site went down. I would be very cautious in such a transitional state between old and new versions was in software/system 'preferential selection' status 'competition' with themselves as to which would get chosen for reset when the button was pushed. I would understand the caution and delay before going the usual push button and hope route when so many subroutines were in a precarious 'status' state of incorporation/completion. Patience is always good. Better safe than sorry I always say! They had their work cut out for them no matter which way they chose to go. Cheers.

PS: I'm glad to see that my 'inadvertent post counter dropping/reseting' thought was of some use to the identification/solution of the 'links not allowed' problem. Good luck.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

good explanation if indeed site mods were being carried out at the time...however this means the rollback was a selective roll back and not a global one as claimed.... some posts had been reinstalled after rollback....
    either way... it doesn't matter ...
    A global roll back done in 10 minutes would only mean that the mods they were doing would be rolled back as well... loose some work but nothing hazzardous, It can be done any time and very easilly. But you do loose any work and postings that you have been happening. All control panel configuration options at the time would have been rolled back as well...

8. RealityCheck Banned Banned

Like I said, they had their work cut out for them whichever way they went.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And even when they finally pushed the 'global reset' button when they had most sub-routines settled into the whole, they still would have plenty of 'mop up' operations and minor bugs and hands-on fine tuning/restoring to do where the global reset threw up all these annoying little hiccups which they had to re-integrate by hand/piecemeal. Still, they managed to get away with it relatively unscathed. I imagine it could have been worse had they not been so cautious/measured in their reset-cleanup processes, however slow!

PS: Gotta go! Later/tomorrow if I can. Cheers.

9. Balerion Banned Banned

Did you hit your head or something? Since when did the rollback take 20+ hours? We were all here posting the morning of the rollback, remember? We all lost posts. Then that afternoon we were all talking about it. You're confusing the loss of 20+ hours of posts with the length of time it took to complete.

And no, it was not selective. WE ALL LOST POSTS. Understand?

10. Gustav Banned Banned

bullshit, doodoo and whatnot
    it is quite likely that there are those that had the good fortune to be absent from sci during the indicated timeframe

they
    lost
    nothing

but i understand
    that does not compute

/pats/kicks

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Advanced search > tab Search Single Content Type > fill in and check as necessary (the option to display results as posts is at the bottom)

When you go to Advanced search, the default tab is Search Multiple Content Types, so that may be confusing.

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks. I used "advance search" and now I can get the posts, instead of threads, displayed.

You are exactly correct on the source of confusion. I assumed, unconsciously, that default was the left of the two tabs and tried clicking on the right one: "Search Multiple Content Types" but nothing happened as I was there already and needed "Search single content Types." (Hard to invent less informative names or more confusing tab locations.)