What will happen to our motion when the Earth stops suddenly?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Saint, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Anyway, I saw the end of Earth on Doctor Who, and nobody was living there anymore; all the people had migrated out and colonized new solar systems. Nobody fried, nobody froze and nobody was flung off into space...

...except Saint, who didn't look a day older...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saint Valued Senior Member

So we need to adjust our atomic clock to count our calendar's days?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Not me; my atomic clock just had its 2000-year tune-up, running like a well-oiled kitten.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

They had atoms 2000 years ago?

Oiled cats run faster?

I have so many questions.

Where can I buy one of your time machines? Buh-dump

8. Saint Valued Senior Member

If time is not absolute according to theory of relativity, then how can we measure the age of the universe?
    Because the big bang says space is expanding in every direction with speed faster than light.

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Not quite. Locally, it can't expand faster than light. But from our perspective (if we could see it, which we can't) it seems to be expanding faster than light, since not only are we going in the opposite direction, space itself is expanding between us.

We can measure things and then express time in whatever reference frame we like. If you choose a different frame (a frame moving at a different speed than we are) you will see different result. But we can accurately express time in _our_ frame.

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

A-- 10Kkph --B-- 10Kkph --C-- 10Kkph --D-- 10Kkph --E-- 10Kkph --F-- 10Kkph

The above very rough example shows a number of galaxies labeled A,B,C, etc. The numbers in between them indicate the speed in which one galaxy is moving away from the galaxy next to it. If we were galaxy A, then the next galaxy B is moving away at 10,000 kilometer per hour, C is moving away from B at 10,000 kph and so on... From our frame of reference, C is moving away from us at 20,000 kilometers per hour, D is 30,000 kilometers per hour and so on...

Therefore, if we add together the various speeds of the many galaxies that are between us and those billions of galaxies light years away, the speed of the furthest galaxies away from us appear to be moving faster than light even though those furthest galaxies may only be moving at 10,000 kilometers per hour from their frame of reference.

Is this right or am I way off track?

11. Saint Valued Senior Member

yes, you make sense.

12. Saint Valued Senior Member

Does the moon spin about its own axis and revolve around the Earth too?

13. billvon Valued Senior Member

It does both. It spins around its axis once a month and also orbits the Earth once a month - thus keeping one face towards the Earth at all times.

14. Saint Valued Senior Member

the moon is moving closer or farther from the Earth?
    is the moon habitable?

15. Halc Registered Senior Member

Moving towards at the moment (for the next day or so), but on average it moves away at not quite 4 cm per year.

It is habitable only if you bring a habitat with you, but then most anywhere is habitable.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Very slowly moving away.
    Not in the way you are thinking.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The earth rotates once every 24 hours. We humans call that a "day".
    The earth revolves around the Sun once every 365.25 days (approximately). We humans call that a "year".

A year is longer than a day, which you will notice if you spend enough time of our planet.

No. We adjust our calendars to match the atomic clocks. Usually that means adding leap seconds every now and then, when things get that far out of sync.

Yes.