What will your job be in 10 years?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Jagger, Jan 26, 2004.

1. bitterchick Why must you taunt me so? Registered Senior Member

Our labor force has outpriced its utility. Unions have done many good and necessary things for labor in this country, but when someone is making $25 an hour to put in a screw and can't ever be fired, is it any shock that manufacturers are looking elsewhere for cheaper labor?

On top of that, we (Americans) want cheap stuff. We don't want to pay the inflated price for American-made products when we can get something cheaper, and very often of better quality, that's manufactured overseas. So while we bitch and moan about losing jobs overseas, as consumers we're not doing anything significant about it.

(She says, typing on her Dell manufactured in Malaysia, watching her Toshiba tv, and preparing to leave and drive her VW to rehearsal)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kmguru Staff Member

At least she is eating the food made in the USA...or may be not....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The latest stupid comment is that for every one point (0.01) gain in productivity we will lose something like 2.3 million jobs. That is the economist answer to our job-loss recovery. At that rate if we double our productivity then we would lose all 230 million jobs. Just think about it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

AT&T Wireless' outsourcing has been beneficial to me.

It gave me a sweet job

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

...and I continue to enjoy the benefits of living in Canada...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Outsourcing itself is not evil. It also boosts other economies especially the developing ones. It has to be encouraged along with a plan to manage the domestic economy in USA.