What would you do if you knew the truth?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Mike, Dec 9, 1999.

1. Mike Registered Senior Member

It's a simple question, I have always wondered about.

What would you do if you knew the truth?

People believe strongly in many things, but they don't really know for sure.

What would you do if you found out there was a God, but not the one you believed in ? or you found out for sure there wasn't any such being.

What if you knew for sure there were aliens, or in fact there were most definitly none, and we're all alone in the blackness of the abyss?

Given the opportunity, given the choice, would you really want to be told something that may very well contradict an entire lifetime of dedication and belief?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori Registered Senior Member

That's what happened to me, and it was a relief. I feel compelled to share the Word, and I do. I wish that I could somehow make it more obvious, or explain it better, or provide some undeniable proof, but I can't, and it's frustrating, but I accept that is just how it is. I have the proof in my own heart, but each person has to get this on their own to truly know. All I can say is that one should never stop questioning and searching their soul for the truth. Seek and ye shall find. That is a promise, and it's true. God Bless.

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"
    "Hey, your plan worked great! They all think I'm cute!"

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I have already had many of my most dear, precious beliefs blasted out of the water by the flaming sword of truth. (Yes, I am aware of the irony of an atheist using biblical symbolism.) Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, all these were myths that, as I got older, gradually fell away. But to wake one day and realize that there is no god judging me, that there is no heaven or hell, that there is no such thing as fate, and that I alone am master of my soul, these things left a cold, lonely wind blowing through my heart.

It has cost me dearly. Members of my own family treat me like I've got some kind of strange disease because I don't say grace before meals. I am all but excommunicated because I say that Jesu ben Josef, if he ever lived at all, was just one of many so-called messiahs who got singled out because he was able to grab attention. I am treated like a leper because I say that sooner or later science can figure out every problem that it comes across.

The Christian bible warns of the falling away. I didn't fall away, I jumped. Through careful observation and analysis I was able to see through the murky fog into a painful truth that both blinded me and opened my eyes. Unfortunately, one of the first things I saw was that my family were not the people I had thought them to be. I was Isaac to their Abraham, and I was sacrificed (more or less shunned) on some apparent order from their god. This was the most traumatic of all.

I survived learning my truth, however, and the cold wind has either gotten warmer or else I have gotten used to it. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it all over again. I would rather face a painful, blinding truth than to go on living a lie.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FyreStar Faithless since 1980 Registered Senior Member

Oxygen -

Your post deserves acknowledgement. Devoting yourself to truth at all costs is perhaps the noblest pursuit I can imagine, and I salute you for it.

FyreStar

"Men occaisionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

8. Mike Registered Senior Member

I can agree with your post Oxygen, for me it's mostly the same. Although my family aren't deeply religeous.

One day you wake up, and you just know there isn't a God, and you just know you aren't going live forever. The rest of your life, like the billions before us is just making the best of it.

What's your truth Lori? What do you know?

9. Lori Registered Senior Member

Me? The exact opposite of what you guys are saying. I know that there is a God. I came to the exact opposite conclusion that you guys did, after a lot of soul searching and actual research, and analyzing my life and society. I have no idea how you came to your conclusion. Well, maybe that's exaggerating, as I did feel the same way that you all do BEFORE I started examining things, and got really honest with myself. But after I did get honest, there was no other answer for me.

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"

10. SkyeBlue Registered Senior Member

Huh, talk about soul-searching!! I think I'm a pro at this by now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oxygen & Mike, I too know how you feel! My mother was very Catholic when I was a kid, and somehow that never would work for me. She thought it was just horrible when I refused to say the word "God" during the pledge of allegiance (In first grade, no less!). It just never, ever felt right to me. I don't believe in that god, I don't follow that faith, and it seems insulting 2 different ways that I was expected to pledge allegiance to my country "under God". I thought it was unfair that I had to say it (one), and since I DIDN'T follow that belief, it seemed to me that I was being disrespectful to claim it (two). I was given a gold cross for my 7th birthday by my grandmother, and could never bring myself to wear it, even though I know she dearly wanted me to. It just seemed disrespectful and untruthful for me to display a symbol that so many people hold dear, when to me it was just a lower case "t". My mom finally made me wear it for school picture day - for grandma's sake, she said. So as I put it on, I said a little chant talking to "the powers", asking them to forgive me for wearing a symbol of a God I didn't believe in. I was careful not to let Mom hear that one!! I just now realized that what I did impulsively as a 7 year old was essentially casting a spell!! What do you know?

Nowadays, I am closer to believing in the Christian God than ever before, even though I am now studying witchcraft. I believe he is not what the Christians and other monotheistic religions believe he is, however. I think he's just one of many gods and goddesses, and they have singled him out for some reason. I don't believe he did a lot of what they think he did, either. I don't believe Jesus was his son, I don't think Mary had a "virgin birth". I think Jesus WAS a good man, but he was just as human and mortal as you and I. I agree with you, Oxygen, I think he was what we would call a cult leader today. Maybe not as fanatical and controlling as some of these guys are nowadays, but essentially, that's what I think he was.

I don't think the Christian God created the world either. I think, rather, that ALL of the Gods and Goddesses are just manifestations of the life-force that permeates the universe, and they gain their form from our perceptions and symbolic meanings that shape this energy. In a sense, I think they're right that God has existed eternally. ALL of the energy in the universe has existed all along, so as far back as our reality goes, everything has existed eternally.

This means, in a sense, that Satan might exist as well. I believe the Gods & Goddesses are shaped by human thought/prayer/spells/meditation... So, there's a lot of people out there shaping something called "satan"... He would then (in my parlance) be a minor god. A god that has received nothing but ill will, mean thoughts, and worship from "bad" people. A god to watch out for, certainally, but since I dont' believe in heaven or hell, his power over me is limited indeed. I inted good will when I meditate/pray/cast a spell, so "satan" doesn't know me. Does that make sense to anyone? It's hard for me to explain, these thoughts have been subliminal for so long, it's only recently I have stumbled upon them and dragged them out into the light.

Lori -

Interesting - you and I seem to have come from similar thoughts (disbelieving god and such), but you found one God, and I found many. I wonder what the difference between us is that makes that happen?

I have had my eyes opened recently, I really have. It's strange, my finding this forum was such a lucky shot, I was researching witchcraft and just stumbled here. I feel kinda like you guys have witnessed a huge growth spurt in my thological beliefs. I went back and re-read my posts (from mere weeks ago!) and realized how much I have found in just a short time. But I think it's knowledge I have already had for years and years, I just finally put 2 and 2 together.

But, what I'm trying to say is, Lori, I am happy for you that you have found your faith. Now that I have found my own spiritual path, I realize I cannot discredit yours. In re-reading my previous posts, I think I might have been a little hard on you & Truestory when I first came around here, and I want to apologize for that. I meant not to criticize you personally, I meant only to criticize your faith. But, I shouldn't criticize, I should debate. I don't know exactly how this is going to sound when you read it, I'm grappeling with a lot of intense powers right now, so my daily thought patterns are a bit sketchy.

11. truestory Registered Senior Member

Another viewpoint:

When you are personally visited by aliens, you "know" they exist. Based on my experience, I fear aliens in the sense that I am afraid of them and what their intentions are with respect to the human race... However, they have no power over God and cannot hurt me in the long-run.

When you are personally visited by God, you "know" that God exists. Based on my experience, I fear God, NOT in the sense that I am afraid of God, but, rather, in the sense that I am in "awe" of God's power, love and mercy...

Based on the message which I received from God, Lori, I applaud your efforts. Spreading the "Word" that it is not too late, that all things can be forgiven, that truly repenting and accepting Jesus Christ into your life will bring all good things (including eternal salvation) is exactly what God told me that he wants us to do.

You, Lori, must be much stronger, much more intelligent and much more spiritual than I to have learned this through a process of self-examination... I searched for years, found nothing and fell into a state of apathy. I received the message personally while in that apathetic state (pretty weak, to say the least). In our different ways, Lori, we are living proof that the power of God is wonderful, indeed!!!

12. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Hi Mike,
    the truth eh? I think I would love to know the truth, because really that's the only thing that counts. But then I think what truth? there are so many questions, so many truths... do I know enough yet, to know what truth to ask for? one question and one truth that would make everything clear? probably not.
    I guess the biggest question of mankind is whether there really is a god, at least the god of their own individual religion and you know, even though I'm atheist, sometimes I do pray to Jesus and wish him to be real, then I would do anything for him. Not because I'd be afraid of going to hell or because I'd be after some kind of heavenly reward because I believe that these types of motivations are immature in an evolutionary sense. But because by knowing the truth that Jesus is actually the living god and the creator, any acts of sacrifice and service I would perform, would be done simply because they would be the right thing to do, with no doubts or questions to plague my actions.
    A decade ago, I thought I'd discovered the truth when I became a 'born again' christian.
    For a while it felt exciting and I felt quite happy, but 2 or 3 years later, my innate sense of perfection and honesty bade me to want to give up my money, my wife, my business and yearn to sacrifice the rest of my life looking after the starving in Ethiopia.
    It was make or break time, I began to grow desperately unhappy about my feelings, yet I knew that if I was going to continue to call myself a christian then I would have to follow my christian heart down my own narrow little path to 'salvation'.But deep down I had a nagging doubt.
    I looked around at my christian friends, so cliquey in their assemblage, so hypocritical in their deeds and actions, so unquestioningly naive in their acceptance of all things biblical and yet so unspiritual in the real world.
    I looked around at the church ministers and all I could see were salesmen giving their pitch. "Today we are collecting for our mission in outer nowhere land where fanatical muslims burnt down our hut, please give generously" (10 minutes later) "Now we'd like to collect for one of our brethren in a sattelite church, who's had a bit of bad luck" (10 minutes later) "Now before todays main collection, I just want you to understand that just because it says that you have to give 10 percent of your income to the church in the bible, it doesn't mean that that's all you should give. No, that is the minimum you should give, jesus gave his own life blah blah spiritual/emotional blackmail bleh bleh "
    I thought, not for nothing does it say that if you want to truly follow Jesus you have to be a fool for this world. 'Well I'm not going to be anybody's fool', I said, as I realised just how duped I had been by this mass hysteria that these guys peddle. I realised that to be happy I had to follow my human will and not stifle my spiritual growth by following in the costraints set up by this guy Jesus, I mean, look at how he ended up? was it worth it? if he was bullshittin', hell he's got a lot to answer for boy! anyway, I simply became a non christian and in fact an atheist just as simply as I became a 'believer' and a 'christian', 3 years earlier.
    The point is, I am so honest with myself and the way I understand and interpret the bible that I would have proceeded all the way to christian martyrdom If I was so compelled by my 'christian heart'.Thankfully I didn't, I sold my business and retired in the sunshine instead and I continue to follow my human heart and human brain to dream and search for truths which they don't teach you in school. And I make my own happiness.That's the truth!

13. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Wow! Great question, Mike! There's lots of wonderful stuff here! My own search for the truth is far from over (at least, I hope so

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

), and I'm sure it's a lifelong process for everyone else as well. Since none of my beliefs are set in concrete, I don't think there's much that can surprise me. Whatever turns out to be the truth in the end, that's what I will accept (if I am around in any way, shape or form to accept anything, that is). I will only regret that the play has ended when I was enjoying it so much!

SkyeBlue - that was very nice! Indeed I have seen a huge spiritual growth spurt in you since you've been on this board. Congratulations on finding your path! I can kind of relate to your experience with a mother whose religion you don't buy into - my mother was Mormon for a period of time while I was growing up, and she forced her religion on me and my sisters. From the time I was about 12 years old, she had the "home teachers" come and visit me every week, pushing their "one true religion" down my throat, and badgering me about when I was going to be baptised. I finally relented after 2 years, and felt like such a weakling for doing it! I really admire your strength of character, even as a young child. I hated going to church 3 times a week (much more than that if you include the year I attended seminary every morning before school!). As soon as I was old enough to make my own choices, I quit going to church, and began searching for my own truths.

Oxygen - I know what you mean about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy. I was crushed when I found out they weren't real - not so much because I wanted them to be real, but because I realized that my parents, who I had trusted implicitly up until that point, were so willing to lie to me!

Tab - which truth, indeed! By what device does one measure the truth? I know what yardstick Lori and Truestory use to measure everything else against, but what if that yardstick itself is not true? Then everything else they have judged to be true or not must be called into question! Lori, Truestory - any comments on that?

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

14. truestory Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

Sure, I'll comment since you asked but, please do not read if you can't handle strong differences of opinion well...

People lie, Searcher, God does not. However, I don't think that it was necessarily your parents' intent to "lie" to you. It was probably more a matter that they wanted you to experience what they considered to be magical childhood fantasies. Your reaction to learning the truth and mine were quite different. You were crushed for the reason you stated. I, on the other hand, had some doubts beforehand. I might have felt somewhat disappointed at first but, when I realized that it was actually my mother, who had next to nothing material to give, who was actually the one doing everything possible to provide for her children and giving credit for her great deeds to such characters as Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy for so many years, I admired her even more than I did before. Since it is the Christmas season I would like to interject that, as "less fortunate" as my family was considered by others, what I really looked forward to every Christmas was, learning what it was that my Mother had done that year for a family less fortunate than ours. She, of course, would never tell us kids directly what she had done for others. As we got older and realized what kind of a woman she was, we had to play sleuths to find out what she had decided to do each particular year. We were never disappointed in Mom's decisions.

Searcher... Throughout life, we often learn that we have been mislead or that someone has lied to us... When that happens to you, Searcher, do you then question everything? In answer to your question above, in general, I do not and would not question everything which I judged to be true or not true. For example, when I doubted the existence of God (based in part by what I was told by others), I was not crushed to learn that God did, indeed, exist.

In the case of my experiences with people, I accept that people are human, that they are not perfect, and that yes, sometimes they mislead you or lie to you. It certainly can be annoying and disppointing at times but, hey, that's life. What impact does your parents' perceived lie about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy have on your current doubt of the existence of God? It sounds like one of YOUR yardsticks. If so, my suggestion to you is... Get over it!

Learning the truth about the existence of God is kind of like learning the truth about the non-existence of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. When we were brought into this world, like most infants, all of us here probably started off by behaving and being treated by our parents as though we were the center of the universe. Later in life, we not only heard about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy, we also heard about "God," somewhere, somehow... Only this God "character" is not like the others. God is more serious, more spiritual, more mature and more complex. God does not present us with material things under the tree, in baskets or under our pillows on specially designated days once a year when "God" is supposed to bring us gifts. In addition to the fact that we can see the gifts which God has given us everyday of our lives, there is something different about "God". Not only does God not go away for a year at a time, God stays with us everyday, asking us to behave in certain ways in which we would have to deny ourselves certain temporal "pleasures" which we have been told by other human beings are O.K.. Not only does God not give us material things on specially designated days, not only does God not go away for a year at a time, not only does God ask us to behave in a certain way, God also asks that we give to others, that we accept responsibility for what we have done wrong in this life and that we accept Jesus Christ into our lives, AS OUR SAVIOR, so that we can share with God in the ultimate gift of eternal salvation!!! Deep down in our hearts, we know that God is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth... But, the way to eternal happiness and salvation does not seem to allow us to experience all the decadence around us (like Eve taking a bite from the apple) and that's tough to swallow (or not to swallow), for sure... Then, in a way, we start the denial process by hoping that God does NOT exist (in order for us to experience the same temporal pleasures with which Satan was successful in tempting Eve with and which Satan attempted to tempt Jesus with, while Jesus was here on earth).

So, whether it be in a conscious or unconscious effort not to deny ourselves of the temporal pleasures in life... We then say that we are unsure of the existence of or the motivations of God, and we ask... Could this be true? I mean, after all, I've been lied to before (by my parents, who were like Gods to me, no less)... Maybe this is just another lie? I believe I am a good person and I really enjoy experiencing some of the things which God has told me to stay away from. (Like Eve, we are convinced by Satan that God is trying to hoard all the knowledge and that it is really ours for the taking). After all, none of us are perfect so, why should I ask forgiveness for the things that I have done wrong? Everybody does things wrong at least once in a while... I do good most of the time, so, if there is a God, shouldn't my good deeds be enough to enter into the kingdom of heaven, if it exists?

Quite frankly, Searcher, I believe we go into a state of denial about the existence of God, about our knowledge of good and evil and we call it "doubt". Like many before me and many to come after me, I've been there. We call it a "search for the truth" -however, aren't we really taking the easy way out and blaming it on such things as our parents having "lied" to us about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy? After all, we justify, if the "powers that be" lied to me about "them", they must be lying to me about "God", too, right?! Being human, with the same temporal desires, we tend to agree with each other and comfort each other in our falling from grace.

Before my visit from "God" I was apathetic. I had searched for years for the "truth" and I doubted the existence of God. Eventually, I kidded myself into thinking that I really didn't care that much about the truth... I doubted that I would ever find it (although I already had) and I figured... Oh, well... What difference does it make, anyway??? I am a good person... I don't do anything worse than the next guy... If there is a God, why wouldn't I be allowed into heaven? And, if there is no God and no heaven and no hell, being the person that I am certainly can't hurt me!

After God's visit, however, I learned from the mouth of God, what the truth was and that "how" we lead our lives here on earth "does" make a difference... that "believing" that we are good people is NOT enough... that it is not too late for us to repent for the wrong that we have done, that ALL things can be forgiven, that all GOOD things (including eternal salvation) will come through the acceptance of Jesus Christ as our Savior.

Having heard this diirectly from God, I "know" it to be the truth. I hope you and others will hear the same soon, Searcher, so that your search will end and you can start living your life... "In the Truth" and enlightenment of the Holy Spirit.

Sincerely,

truestory

[This message has been edited by truestory (edited December 11, 1999).]

15. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Truestory,

Yes, although I do consider all things to be possible, I do question all things - including your story of having "met" God. Did you "see" God, as well as "hear" Him? Or did you just hear a voice that may have come from a register or intercom, and decide that it was "God" talking to you? How do you know it wasn't aliens putting on a show for you? Or, since you've been abducted by aliens, maybe it's post-hypnotic suggestion - again, alien in origin?

What if there are two or more groups of aliens competing for control of this planet, and when they give orders or advice or information to humans, they all claim to be "God" or angels of God? Have you put any of your experiences to critical analysis? Or were you just so overwhelmed by these incomprehensible events, that you just took them at face value?

I guess the difference between you and me, Truestory, is that I NEVER take anything at face value anymore. No doubt, this is my reaction to being lied to as a child by those I trusted the most.

By the way, my mother became a born-again Christian in 1980, and if she had it to do over again, she would never lie to her children. As a matter of fact, it is her belief that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy all came from the mind of Satan to undermine the faith of little children. I don't discount this idea - as I said, all things are possible, and this makes as much sense as anything else.

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

16. Flash Registered Senior Member

Searcher,
    You brought out some very good points. Especially the one concerning that TS might of heard from aliens instead of God.
    What I do not understand is how others can actually believe there is only one way to truth. Christians believe this one way is through Jesus. I believe that truth is truth..who cares where the source comes from as long as it is truth. Also, it seems to me that Jesus was more interested in glory for himself. He thinks he is the ONLY son of God...that he is PERFECT in every way...and that he is the only KEY for people to get to God. I think he had an ego problem. It seems all he wants is credit and praise...and not really concerned with our search for truth.

17. Lori Registered Senior Member

SkyeBlue,

That's a good question. When I was trying to find some answers, the Bible was the first place and the last place that I looked. When I was young, my grandma tried to spoon-feed it to me, and I witnessed a lot of the same weirdness that Tab is talking about, and experienced the same feelings that turn people off to Christianity all the time. The very fact that someone was trying to spoon-feed it to me bothered me. I'm just not like that. I question the hell out of everything, and I'm too proud when it comes to my intelligence, which I'm not saying the pride is a good thing. It's usually what stands in the way of true enlightenment. That takes humility. There, there is a contradiction I'd like to point out. This is how my head works...I'm extremely intelligent, and successful in my educational and professional endeavors, been described as a little human computer, used to do my calculus homework in college stoned to the bone, and got straight A's. Speech class too. Stoned to the bone and I got straight A's. I actually unnecessarily challenged myself, just because I could and get away with it. And because of this, I developed a sense of pride that ultimately got in the way of or delayed my true enlightenment. I know that especially in some areas of my life, I have certainly had to learn things the hard way. Become humbled. Sorry, I kind of got off track, but that's how I see God, and when I see those kind of contradictions it just blows my mind. Anyway...

So when I was looking...I was much more inclined to believe in some of the same things that you do. I had a real hard time with the exclusivity of Christianity, and didn't understand it. I set out to compare different religions and beliefs and thought that I would probably find that they all perpetuated the same types of works in people, or behavior rather. And I was right, they do. Christianity included. It's just that they attribute their beliefs to different gods and/or to different reasons. In other words, the line is still drawn, it's usually in about the same place, but it's drawn for different reasons. Clear as mud? The thing that got me is that the Bible explains that phenomenon, and no other religion does. Not in any way that has made sense to me anyway. You know, ultimately, what it always came down to was that I always, always, always find an answer in the Bible that makes logical sense to me. Regarding everything. Other religions capitalize upon spiritual laws which exist because God created them with specific intent and reason, reason being to create the PERFECT existence for us. What is Satan's motivation? To attribute these laws unto himself, and to disguise the original intent to which they serve, with the motivation to hurt God and to undermine Him. As our happiness and communion with Him is most important to Him. He wants life to be perfect for us. BUT, spiritual laws manifest in certain ways, and there's nothing Satan can do to change that. It's like science you know? And people recognize that in their heart's, and there certainly are many things that Satan can do to harden your heart to God. Things like greed, lust, envy, anger, pride, and so on, but I think that most people, even if they have trouble controlling these feelings at times, recognize them as evil and destructive, no matter what faith you serve. So what is Satan to do? The only thing he can do is disguise himself, and disguise the original intent of the Laws of God. He doesn't care why you don't find true salvation, he just cares that you don't. I think that it is naive to think that the only way that Satan can affect us is in a way which is easily recognizable as evil. I see Christianity, and the New Testament specifically, as the final Word. So, the fact that so many different beliefs exist, and even when you look at the denominationalism within Christianity, makes it difficult for us to reconcile the Christian faith, due to the absolutism and idealism which it represents. THAT is Satan. Just one of the many, many ways that He keeps us from realizing the TRUTH.

This is one of the reasons why I believe that the new age relgion is the religion of the end times, of the Antichrist, of the NWO that it talks of in the Bible. It's the only thing that I can see to be appealing enough of an idea to reconcile religious segregation into a one world religion. Of course Christianity DOES do that as well, but it seems to be a bitter pill. Satan is always a sugar pill. It tastes good. Man is God. Yum! Yum! Because that means that there are no absolutes. Hurray! No rules! YOU draw the line, and you get to draw it where ever you want to. I think that logically it's pretty ridiculous to assume that we have the capacity to do that. I mean, look around? Is everybody happy??!! Are we safe to assume that we really can say that we even are aware of what true happiness is, and why? I don't feel that way about myself (humility). And remember that Satan and his demons can present themselves to be ANYTHING they want to be to us, or more appropriately, anything that we want them to be. They can and do represent themselves as proof of false religious doctrines. That's what I think that aliens are. Beings of light. Coming to tell you that they created you and that you too can progress to be gods like them. Mmmm...tasty.

Oh, and I definately appreciate your apology, and your sentiments regarding what we're doing here. It's not easy to talk about these things. I am soooo aware of that!

Truestory,

I'm inclined in a way to take what you said as a compliment, but that would be contradictory to what I've said above. I almost feel the exact opposite, in that I feel like the true IQ test is how long it takes you to find the truth you know? I guess it's all relative. Some people live their whole lives and never find Him. But I really don't think that it had anything to do with me until I was humbled enough to really allow God to speak to my heart. That's how I think it is with everyone. Pain happens, and it seems that you always have a choice, to be humbled by it and find God, or to be hardened by it and suffer the consequences in your life. I got tired of suffering like many do. But believe me, I learned the hard way.

Searcher,

All I can say is that every single time I have that yardstick tested, it's right on the money. And you have no way of knowing this, but I just wouldn't and couldn't believe in something that wasn't logical, or that I didn't have proof of that I see all the time, all around me, in my life, and in the world. It just makes sense to me. Every single solitary time, in every instance and circumstance. Now yes, I do have trouble putting this proof into words, but I've been practicing, and I hope I'm getting better. (?)

------------------
    "ET phone home!"
    "Uh, hello Satan?"

18. truestory Registered Senior Member

Sorry if I offend anyone here... It seems to me that those who proclaim to be in search of the truth also believe that noone has ever found the truth yet... and that it can't be known?

What is your true reason for supposedly "searching" then? Do you think that you will be the great one, the first to find the truth?

If you believe that the truth hasn't been found because it can't ever be known, then why are you even bothering to "search"???

Flash,

Jesus IS God. Jesus does not think things out of arrogance or because He has an ego problem... We are the ones with the ego problems. We have a hard time accepting that there is one more knowledgeable and more powerful than us... One who "knows" all and can do all. Again, Jesus does not "think" things to be true or not true, Jesus "knows" things to be true or not true. God loves us more than we can imagine and came to us in the form of man (Jesus) so that we would know the way to eternal salvation "with God."

So, I suggest to anyone who is truly searching for the truth to humble themselves, to drop their contempt for authority and to look to Jesus to find your answers. The "truth" is with Him and it has been made simple for us to understand. If you choose not to believe it, then you do so of your own free will and you know the consequences of such a choice.

19. truestory Registered Senior Member

Searcher,

Yes, I did "see" and "hear" God. I posted this experience a while back. I will take a look for it and repost it here if it is found. How do I know it was not a recorder or an intercom? Because there were thousands of people in the heavily-visited tourist area and noone else heard the message. Those who were with me, saw that I was "seeing" and experiencing something awesome but they did not know what had happened until I told them.

God instructed me to spread the Word, spoke to me about repentance and total forgiveness, and informed me that all good things (including eternal salvation) come through the Son, Jesus Christ. Although unexpected, and with the exception of evil spirits that tried to scare me away so that I would not see God or hear the messsage, God's visit to me was a totally honest, pure, loving and revealing experience. If it happened to you, believe me, you would no longer have any doubts.

There were many negatives associated with the aliens' visit... Including the fact that they instructed me to lie to my mother about the experience.

The forces at work during these respective experiences were totally opposite of each other.

PS

I found the post (which was a response to Boris)...

A few years ago, God appeared to me and instructed me to spread the word. Contrary to what you insist about a previous religious bias, as I have stated before, I was not "religious" prior to this experience. Yes, over the years, I had various unsolicited experiences with what some consider to be paranormal. I had various revealing premonitions and warnings and I even had my mother's spirit manifest itself to me in a translucent, physical form which I could see. These experiences did show me evidence of an afterlife, however, I did not necessarily associate these experiences with God. Like many, I had questions, but I just accepted my experiences and went on with my usually mundane life. As of a few years ago, I was actually apathetic about the existence/non-existence of God and, although I had heard about it, I had never read the Bible. It was only after this particular communication did I take the path of studying and following the life and teachings (the word) of Jesus Christ.

As I said, I was sightseeing in New York City. All of a sudden, there came a physical force sending excruciating pain through my body. I was getting the message that there was "something" that wanted me to move away from my physical location. I also quickly sensed that the "something" was not good (and I never did like bullies) so I stood my ground. Next, a multitude of horrible, SCREAMING spirits flew at and by my head, in what I sensed was another attempt to get me to move from that spot. I sensed that something good was going to happen which these spirits did not want me to see. Again, I stood my ground. After what seemed forever (but it was actually only about ten to twenty seconds), the pain, the chaos, the screaming and the "bad" spirits disappeared. I had a clarity of vision and I was engulfed with a feeling of peace when the spirit of a woman manifested itself to me (again, translucent) in a manner that I could see. With mouth moving (not that it should make much difference), the woman said, "Behold, the Father." Next, the spirit of an ancient male manifested itself to me in the same manner. I immediately "knew" that it was God, "The Father," before the message was even given. The message itself confirmed what I already knew to be true. When God, the Father said, "Behold, the Son," the spirit of an infant was also manifested in the same manner. The message was clear, pure and loving and I "knew" the Son to be Jesus Christ... "Through Him, all good things will come."

After this communication, as I said, I started studying the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. It is no coincidence that the message I received was reiterated throughout Biblical history and during the life of Jesus Christ. The magnificence of the message and our God who sent it cannot be denied.

[This message has been edited by truestory (edited December 12, 1999).]

20. FyreStar Faithless since 1980 Registered Senior Member

My view on truth is this; there is no single Truth in the universe. There are many truths, perhaps infinitely many. As we go through life we accumulate them as dictated by our innate curiosity. I do not think it is possible to know all truths. Supposing for a moment it *were* possible, what would I do? What would I need to do? I would already know how everything would turn out, so what motivation would I have to 'do' anything?

Humans seem to have a built in need to *know*. However, it is a rather daunting task to know nothing, and set your goals to be everything. Some give up, some comfort themselves with faith in various deities, and some struggle as much as they can to make a dent in the overwhelming darkness that is the unknown.

FyreStar

21. truestory Registered Senior Member

FyreStar,

You supposed:

If you accepted the truth that God exists and wants to share eternal life with us, that you are on the path to either eternal salvation or eternal damnation, that God will forgive everything when you truly repent, that using your gift of free will by accepting Jesus Christ into your life is the way to eternal salvation and that God wants us to spread that message so that as many souls as possible can be saved, you would be motivated to spread God's word and... THAT is what you would do... You would repent, you would accept Jesus Christ as you Savior and you would spread the word of God.

22. Searcher Registered Senior Member

Truestory,

It sounds to me like you were subjected to the "Good God, Bad God" routine. I'd like to refer you to the Gospel according to St. John, chapter 1, verse 18:

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."

Truestory, how would you feel if you found out something really devastating to your religious beliefs? Oh, I don't know - let's say it turned out that the four Gospels were actually written by an early Roman family whose only goal was to gain greater control of the people? That they "invented" Jesus, Mary, Joseph, the apostles - the whole 9 yards? That everything you based your religious beliefs on was a farce? You say you weren't crushed to find out that there was a God - but the real question is, would you be crushed to find out that you've been lied to all this time about your God?

I'm not saying that any of this is the case - I'm just saying, "What if?" Would you rather go on in blissful ignorance, or would you want to know the real truth - even if it blew away everything you "knew for sure"? If I'm not mistaken, that was the whole idea behind this thread, but I don't feel you've really answered this question.

------------------
    www.indigenousrocks.com

23. FyreStar Faithless since 1980 Registered Senior Member

truestory -

You proceed on the arrogant assumption that you know 'the' truth. Personally, I prefer not to delude myself with warm visions of a loving god who will take care of me.

FyreStar