Whatever became of the concept of "sin"?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Magical Realist, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Couples across the world now live together without marrying. Lovers think nothing of banging each other before marriage. Sins that less than 60 years ago would have had your mother, grandmother, and aunts doing conniption fits. Gays can get married now. Marijuana is now legal. And Sin City is a major tourist attraction. What's happened to the concept of sin? Where did we lose our way? Are we all goin to hell? Or has sin simply been exposed as the myth it always was?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

Why do you think gays getting married is a sin?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Where did I say I thought gays getting married is a sin? I'm gay. Why would I think that?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sin is going against the Bible, which is a book of stories about how the Jews in ye oldene tymes thought people should live. It's no longer relevant.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Exactly. It is part of the overall irrelevance of religion in our lives. The liberation of the present from the stone-engraved past. History is a nightmare from which we are trying to awake. We are almost there.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not that I think Las Vegas is so great, it's a microcosm of everything wrong with this country.

10. timojin Valued Senior Member

11. timojin Valued Senior Member

IF there is a law then there is sin . I believe if we violate the Gods 10 commandments , ( any of them ) we fall on sin. Many of this commandment go very far back to 2000 BC example the Hammurabi law ( about 1760 bc) and that law is pretty strict . In the 10 commandments you have the addition the respect of the Creator
    Some of Hammurabi code
    Slander
    Ex. Law #127: "If any one "point the finger" at a sister of a god or the wife of any one, and can not prove it, this man shall be taken before the judges and his brow shall be marked. (by cutting the skin, or perhaps hair.)" [21]
    Trade
    Ex. Law #265: "If a herdsman, to whose care cattle or sheep have been entrusted, be guilty of fraud and make false returns of the natural increase, or sell them for money, then shall he be convicted and pay the owner ten times the loss." [21]
    Slavery
    Ex. Law #15: "If any one take a male or female slave of the court, or a male or female slave of a freed man, outside the city gates, he shall be put to death." [21]
    The duties of workers
    Ex. Law #42: "If any one take over a field to till it, and obtain no harvest therefrom, it must be proved that he did no work on the field, and he must deliver grain, just as his neighbor raised, to the owner of the field." [21]
    Theft
    Ex. Law #22: "If any one is committing a robbery and is caught, then he shall be put to death."[21]
    Food
    Ex. Law #104: "If a merchant give an agent corn, wool, oil, or any other goods to transport, the agent shall give a receipt for the amount, and compensate the merchant therefor. Then he shall obtain a receipt from the merchant for the money that he gives the merchant." [21]
    Liability
    Ex. Law #53: "If any one be too lazy to keep his dam in proper condition, and does not so keep it; if then the dam break and all the fields be flooded, then shall he in whose dam the break occurred be sold for money, and the money shall replace the corn which he has caused to be ruined." [21]
    Divorce
    Ex. Law #142: "If a woman quarrel with her husband, and say: "You are not congenial to me," the reasons for her prejudice must be presented. If she is guiltless, and there is no fault on her part, but he leaves and neglects her, then no guilt attaches to this woman, she shall take her dowry and go back to her father's house."[21]
    One of the best known laws from Hammurabi's code was:

Ex. Law #196: "If a man destroy the eye of another man, they shall destroy his eye. If one break a man's bone, they shall break his bone. If one destroy the eye of a freeman or break the bone of a freeman he shall pay one gold mina. If one destroy the eye of a man's slave or break a bone of a man's slave he shall pay one-half his price."[21]
    Hammurabi had many other punishments as well. If a son strikes his father, his hands shall be hewn off (translations vary).

The present society will decide what is sin . But in the spiritual domain in our Judeo-Christian-Islam beliefs I believe we stick to the 10 commandments

12. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Right. Gays can get married now. Where did I say I thought that was a sin?

14. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

The first 4 of the ten commandments apply to how to worship Jehovah. No idols. No other gods. No taking of the lord's name in vain. And the keeping of the Sabbath. How do those rules apply to our secular society? Are you proposing a state-church that enforces Judaism on the people?

15. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

AFAIK marijuana is still illegal on the federal level. Some states have relaxed their state laws, but it is still illegal due to that idiotic war on drugs.

16. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Surely you have answered the question in the thread title yourself, MR: sin is a religious concept, and in an increasingly secular society there is less regard to the voluntary rules of religion. This distinguishes sin from matters of societal laws which even the secularist should abide by.
    There is of course considerable overlap in many instances if the society grew up on a backbone of religious power.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Sin is a religious concept. Violating secular law won't jeopardize your ticket to paradise.

18. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Well only 3 of the 10 commandments are illegal in the US.
    It is also prohibited by the constitution of the US to make a law that even supports the first 2 commandments.

Gee, I guess the US really is the great Satan.

sideshowbob likes this.
  19. timojin Valued Senior Member

Those which the secular does not accept it is ok ,but the last 5 or 6 commandments they are applicable to every individual . That is why I posted the Hammurabi code .

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Lots about donkeys and not making images, and yet nothing about rape.

21. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

We didn't lose our way. We're in the process of finding it.

I'd rather be in heaven with most people who think they're going there than in heaven with most people who think they're going there.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You might want to edit that.

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

4 more would be ridiculous to enforce. "Honor thy father and mother." Right. Every teen would be in prison. "Don't bear false witness." Seems abit harsh and narrow to convict everyone who pretends to have witnessed something. Adultery? Really? In this day and age? And do not covet? Our consumerist society relies on coveting and getting people to covet more. It's good for the economy.

That's just leaves do not kill and do not steal. That's it. The only 2 laws you'd have to govern the human race. Unless you're suggesting all those weird Levitical laws about women on their periods, not eating shrimp and lobster, sacrificing goats, and not wearing clothes of different fabrics. We can and have done better.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015