What's The Difference Between Religion & Myth/Superstition

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Oct 9, 2008.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

There may be severe restrictions on religious practices but no 1 is forced to be an atheist.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Psychotic episode
    Its not apartheid
    Imagine how bogged down scientific disciplines would be if they were forbidden to pursue issues further than what your average taxi driver can manage

Religiousity is primarily owned by those who practice it - its the same for any field of knowledge. Certainly explains why geologists generally don't find their way onto board discussions of issues pertinent to astronomy

Try reading some criticisms by academic atheists - generally you will see that they don't try and confound the premises of theism (ie they don't begin from the premise that "god doesn't exist. this is a fact" .... of course they might wholeheartedly accept that, by they wouldn't include it as a integral premise for their argument)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

dude, Marx (including his complete absolute rejection of god)) is accepted as a valuable contributor to national identity (and national identity gets drummed in to you from day one)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

It hasn't been drummed into me.

What makes you think I'm a dude???

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Then I guess you don't owe your heritage to china, eh?

the demographics at sci
    apologies

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

======

10. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Ideology of one kind or another is drummed into everyone. The difference is whether you are in the winning group or in the losers group.

If you are born into a family that ideologically complies with those in rule and as such, you have a privileged social and economical position, you probably won't feel that the ideology has been drummed into you; instead, the ideology will seem to you as something perfectly normal, natural and desirable.

If, however, you are born into a family of dissidents or misfits of one kind or another, then the ideology of those in rule will still be drummed into you, except that you will see it as something imposed on you, something negative - but not that you would be free from its influence.

11. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

Again, someone deciding what will be known after getting a degree in Comparative Religious Studies.

If only it were that easy.

However, stupid first assumptions are often just that... stupid first assumptions.

Think about the possibility that Comparative Religious Studies might actually find that many of the World's Religions come to a consensus? But ignorant and uninformed people probably would never arrive to that insight, would they? Ergo, the need to enroll in schools... or at least do a little bit of homework... instead of just assuming and guessing through life.

12. swarm Registered Senior Member

Wow you sure are into the degree in Comparative Religious Studies thing.

13. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: I went to a Baptist University, because of its close proximity to my home. I took a bunch of religious sudies and comparative religous courses, because they were required. I can tell you those who were getting degrees in comparative religions were biased in favor of christianity as the only true religion. A degree in comparative religions means absolutely nothing. Where one goes to school has a lot more to do with it.

14. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Funny, the last time I was picked up at the airport the taxi driver had a pharmaecology degree. His biggest problem was going to a foreign school not recognized by his peers in my country. Same for religion. Would a Southern Baptist church allow a Muslim to preach to its congregation? Would they let an atheist stand before them and lecture his tenets to the faithful? Why are the churches not mixed if its all the same god?

Get your head out of the sand my friend. A lot of collaborative science is going on. Religion seems to be falling behind in that regard. Let's send people to Mars and only consult rocket scientists

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, when claims of gods are offered, we are to leap to the assumption they do in fact exist, especially when observational evidence of their existence is not available?

One can simply read the great variety of scriptures purporting the absoluteness of their doctrines and their gods existence, and that whomsoever should worship other gods, eternal damnation will be your destiny. Could you first decipher these comparisons, please?

Leo, you know as well as I, those members here who are skeptical of religions go to far more lengths and breadths to do their homework then the theists they question.

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

You are so freaking full of it. Don't tell me something's been drummed into me.

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Psychotic episode

... kind of makes you wonder why aspiring pharmacists as a whole don't take the fast track to the field via taxi driving .....

there's only one religion - devotion to god

probably not

differences in approach to god reflects different conditioning- much like differences to approach to a tree as subject matter reflects different conditioning.

For instance, do you seriously think these following images are depicting absolutely different subjects?

yet some how suggest a dearth of information that surrounds inter-faith dialogue

fine
    be my guest
    but don't expect that to actually uplift society or provide any long lasting satisfaction to anyone

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

===========

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

ideology affects everyone
    even high school students

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

So another ignorant arrogant knowitall weighs in.

21. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

I'd question whether that is true. Do religious philosophers really know anything other than each other's philosophy?

22. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

No 1 knows me better than I do.

23. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Like they say - Never underestimate the power of denial.