What's Your Job?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sderenzi, Oct 20, 2006.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Sounds cool! What are you hoping to do in the real world?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

I popped in for two 2 word comments! It's not my fault!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

It's sort of boring work. Washing dishes, running PCRs all day, moving drops of DNA around. Lots of work with micropipets. My boss is really cool, and I like my coworkers. It doesn't pay well, the janitor makes more than me, but it's better than a job in retail or food industry. And I like doing science and being around scientists. They speak my language.

I'm majoring in econ, and frankly, I don't know what I'm going to do with the degree. I realized the other day that whatever job I get, I'm going to be wearing as suit. Maybe I'll get a teaching position at Hawaii U and surf all day. Ideally, I want to be a surf bum. Maybe I'll get a math degree instead. Or both. I really like math. I see myself ending up in academia, though.

I thought it was funny.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Job!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    My job is to laugh at people with jobs.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

You're either rich, or you enjoy the company of rats and cockroaches in your cardboard box.

Which?

9. Roman Banned Banned

You forgot "lives with his mom."

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Right you are.

11. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

First I worked in a local supermarket deli, then in the footwear department at the local Sears outlet. Now I work at a pharmacy... I wish I could tell you that I was at least the pharmacist, or a trainee, but I work in the front at the cash register. Hooray! Retail sucks.

I'm currently on hiadus from school, but I was a History major. Didn't know exactly what I wanted to do with it, since the only options (besides publishing voraciously) are confined to teaching positions, which I'm not that keen on.

My interests are actually far too broad for me to go into academia, since working at a University would be an enormous distraction for me. I'd be popping into other departments and listening to lectures and whatnot, all the while neglecting my own work. I love history, and when I get passionate about a topic I tend to eat it up and turn out a beautifully unique analysis... except that I'm one of the most lazy, writer's block afflicted human beings you will ever meet. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do, but it will probably end up being in business out of necessity. Hopefully I'll be able to get involved with something that falls under one of my many interests.

If none of that works out, there is always Wall Street... two of my uncles and my cousin along with her husband work there, and they make piles of money. This is one of the less savory options in my view, but if it comes down to finances that's probably where I'll go.

12. ReighnStorm The Smoke that Thunders Registered Senior Member

Well, I'll say this. I work for Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. Largest mortgage company in US and I'm the last person you would want to talk to about your home

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

!

13. Jaster Mereel Hostis Humani Generis Registered Senior Member

That makes me feel kind of insecure about real estate. How does one get involved in real estate, anyway? That's another one of those things that I'm interested in.

14. Genji Registered Senior Member

I was in mortgage banking for almost 8 years. I started out answering phones (16 lines:bugeye: ) and doing filing crap. The boss liked me because I was fast & efficient so he moved me to the home loan closing department where I helped the loan closer with paperwork details, organizing files, calling builders & appraisers and prepping files for the underwriter. So get into a place like that and take a lower job and impress the boss. I hate the system but it liked me that time.

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I am an Optometrist. I perform eye exams, diagnose and treat diseases of the eyes, fit glasses/contact lenses, co-manage laser surgery, etc.

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

It's now official: I shoulda lied about my job! After Superluminal and madant and even Roman I look like a mere peasant!

*goes back to mopping......*

17. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Yo, sorry bud, I was just kidding. I've been doing this fucking powerpoint presentation since 1 pm. Very trying.

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Construction worker. I've worked in many areas of this trade. Presently I'm framing houses. I think I'll stay in this job for a while. I find it to be quite satisfying. I've been thinking to myself just how lucky I am. I doubt many people enjoy their job and derive as much satisfaction from it as I do. Perhaps I'm being arrogant, but I have found in my time that most (myself formerly include in this group) only work because they have to and hate every minute of it.

It is magical to watch something being created. No. To create something. Step by step. You go to a site where only a concrete foundation exists and leave a masterpiece of beauty behind.

There is something magical about walls, by the way. The partitioning of space with walls is something that created the human psyche long ago in the neolithic. Compartmentalization of space led to compartmentalization of mind.

Magic.

Here's a couple of the houses I've built. I've got a couple more pics in my camera that I've not downloaded to the computer yet. Perhaps I'll do so tomorrow if anyone would care to see. The houses here are nice houses. Sell for about a million and half or so. The houses in my camera sell for over two million.

The following two are the same house from different angles.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm a nutritionist. I've worked in several areas of the field. I started with a stint as a sports nutritionist in the army and worked as a consultant for a couple of years with sportsmen of various disciplines. Then I switched to clinical work in a hospital for a few years, involving administration, food purchase and inventory, training of staff, menu planning and assessing the requirements of patients with different clinical conditions. I got interested in the metabolic basis of disease and its relation to dietary components and right now, I'm a grad student looking at the role of nutrients in the initiation, progression and prevention of diet-induced diseases.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Genji,

Hey. Someone's gotta clean up the puke. Nothing to be ashamed about if you enjoy your job.

Sam,

I thought you were a professional flirt?
    Muaha!

Wow. Never saw you as the army type. Kill anybody? Or is that on a strictly need to know basis?

Lixluke,

It's a real pity that you'll never understand just how... sad you are. Your life is a true statement in irresponsibility. I hope that someday you find out just what you're missing out on. I doubt you will though.
    Sad.
    You're a sad case.
    When you are gone from this place, it will be as if you never were. Like those buddhist sand paintings, except they have the merit of being beautiful for their brief existence. You don't even have that.

Superliminal,

The latter.
    He's on welfware.
    Welfare fraud, actually.
    He's faking mental illness if I recall correctly.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2006
  21. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Are you sure he needs to fake it?

22. vslayer Registered Senior Member

hes just a capitalist scumbag leeching off the workers. he is no better than a corporate CEO.

23. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Next time, think twice before you open your mouth. This is the second time you tried to fool with me. Though its not overstepping the boundary, it can be on certain days. And today was one of those days. But now that you have a clearer conprehension of who you're dealing with, as do I, we can finally draw the boundary in our stepping zones, so that we may better understand where to step.

Peace. Love. Prosperity to all,
    Nick.