When did politics become so intolerant?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cob Nut, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Cob Nut Registered Member

So far as I can see, modern politicians see it as their role to seek out new things to ban and to invent new and ever more technical criminal offences where previously there were none.

Then they bewail "the breakdown in law and order" and the ever rising prison population.

Is this a recent phenomenon, or has it ever been thus?

Was there not a time when politicians appreciated the benefits fo toleration and moderation in their thinking and doing?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Yes, I completely agree with you. In Britain, if the government think something is bad or wrong then they simply ban it. Its down to societies intolerance of other's lifestyles, although it is confusing.

It amases me why people would want to have something banned that doesnt affect them in any way, its a free country, you should be free to do what you wish and also free not to do what you wish, a point that is nearly always forgotten about. I think its mainly down to selfishness, never mind about all the reasons that are given about "for the good of society" and all that bullshit.

Banning just send whatever it was they banned underground and errodes the respect toward the government or more often the police that needs a certain degree of respect for it to function.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I'd say the mass media is to blame. If they something is bad then the public will more than likely agree. Then politicians will lose all common sense and do something moronic. The media are the ones ruling/ruining the world here, politicians are merely their pawns.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, not politicians, just republicans. It is true, though, that a function of government is to respond to ever changing conditions. There are underlying economic reasons for crime, and the more focus is put on punishment, the less attention is given to the reasons. Media sources may be biased in one way or another, but what is the alternative? Having no media?

8. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

As much as I'd like to join you in an anti-republican frenzy I'm going to have to say that you're wrong here. Overregulation is not really an attribute which we can assign to either the right or left side of the political spectrum, as it's a trait which we can see quite often on both sides.

Take Lieberman for instance, if you'll remember from the primary season, or even the 2000 election his big thing was cracking down on violent video games and movies.

The problem starts when Politicians start getting big heads and think that they can abuse their power to win a few votes by unnecessarily regulating restricting or banning this and that. We need to have us a political revolution in this country and get our politicians back under control!

9. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

Haha, that's right, because it's the left wing liberals, and not the uptight god fearing conservatives that are primary responsible for our drug policy. . . riiiight! I'll admit that most of those Washington politicos are equally as guilty for the state of our drug policy, but when it comes down to the actual citizenry legalization of pot, or any drug is definitely a liberal view.

10. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

morons, it is the consequence of democratically elected leaders who make money by being in their positions. To appease to the lazy masses, you present the laziest solution.

My gripe with American politics?

Close to, last I checked, 50% of black males cannot vote because of felonies related to drugs or 3x rule. Whilst the drug dons remain rich and immune, the users get arrested.

How quick were your politicians in voting for the patriot act because of voter sentiment? Nevr forget the best statisticians work in politics.

I say shut the fuck up or go educate.

11. Pangloss More 'pop' than a Google IPO! Registered Senior Member

You don't really think Ayn Rand would agree with that statement, do you, "Fountainhead"?

12. thefountainhed Fully Realized Valued Senior Member

The name is not fountainHEAD, it is fountainHED, and I don't give a shit about Rand the dummy.

13. Pangloss More 'pop' than a Google IPO! Registered Senior Member

LOL! Okay, fair enough.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!