When sharing your opinions, do you like to be challenged?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, Aug 3, 2021.

1. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

It's open to peer review. Keyword: peer. Somebody who is somewhere in the neighborhood of qualified is allowed/encouraged to point out where you might have gone wrong and to suggest tests that will clarify any difficulties with your methodology and/or interpretation.

wegs likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Nope. I feel like an eagle stalking it’s prey from fifty feet away.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Ironic wegs that I instantly knew from the 'would it be a good idea if we were all nice to each other' exceedingly non-confrontational signature style of the thread title that you were the OP.
    Anyway to answer that ultra safe question - I have learned to only hold out a small hope challenges will be both intelligent and genuine. Otherwise, it can be a somewhat useful training ground to learn how to successfully engage in SF verbal street fighting.

wegs likes this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I am not sure about being challenged, but I really like to be asked to clarify, if and when my original post lacks clarity.
    This is also why I almost always accompany my post with a link to a more formal presentation on the subject by a reliable source.

wegs likes this.
  8. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lol
    I hear you. We all need the challenge now and then, that’s how we grow. I think the main issue is not taking a challenge to your ideas/opinions as an attack on you as a person. That would apply more to offline conversations than online, although debates can get *~spirited~* online. There’s a quote that escapes me, but it fits perfectly with this topic. I’ll have to search for it. It has to do with how you can have all the answers but if your delivery needs work, you might risk teaching anyone, anything.

Q-reeus likes this.
  9. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

It's mostly a matter of prior experience as to whether challenges from a given individual should be a priori judged as likely genuine or not. I don't have to emphasize the point this tends to get easier and easier regarding expectations, and harder and harder to keep responding to in practice.

Anyway, I can hardly wait wegs to bag that 'on the tip of my tongue' pithy quote and place it into my own quiver! Cheers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

wegs likes this.
  10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Found it.

“We often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed, is unsympathetic to us.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Q-reeus and Write4U like this.
  11. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I heard that Nietzsche wrote that after a communication he had with Iceaura. I don't know if that's historically accurate or not?

candy and Write4U like this.
  12. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

Bagged!

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

In response to the OP: it depends what you mean by "challenged".

I'm a person who likes to talk things out rather than have a stand up fight over a disagreement. In most contexts, I don't waste my time on people who are cruising around looking for somebody to fight. That's not to say I won't stand my ground when somebody brings a fight to me. (I should also probably say that I'm risk averse and sensible, so I always try to avoid putting myself in physical danger.)

I like learning new things and most of the time I prefer to believe things that are true rather than believing things that are false. So, I'm open to having any false beliefs I might have brought to my attention, preferably in a non-confrontational way.

I like helping other people, and I enjoy sharing my knowledge and expertise when somebody else wants it. However, I am very aware of the difference between knowledge and opinion, so I'm usually fairly careful to try to be clear about when I'm expressing an opinion, as opposed to when I'm communicating facts. I'm very happy to shoot the breeze on topics where there is no right or wrong and nobody is going to get hurt because of somebody's opinion.

Beliefs and opinions tend to affect behaviour. My tolerance for opinions is probably inversely proportional to the actual harms those opinions cause, or are likely to cause. If somebody can show me that an opinion I hold is harmful to me or to somebody else, then I'm very open to be challenged on it. Not only that; I'm also willing to change my mind when I discover that I'm wrong about stuff. I find, unfortunately, that there are lots of people in the world who do not share these traits.

wegs likes this.
  14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Agree on a few levels with this.

Have you ever felt concerned that someone might consider you a hypocrite for “changing your mind?” Not that you would be... but some people label mind changers as that, which seems wholly unfair.

15. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Nope. Changed my mind on many things in my lifetime. (And those "some people" may need to look up the definition of hypocrite.)

wegs likes this.
  16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

But... they won’t.

I’ve changed my mind too on different topics, even things I held tightly to, but life ebbs and flows, and so do our opinions, sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  17. sculptor Valued Senior Member

“When facts change, I change my mind,” John Maynard Keynes

Attached Files:

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Where's the fun in everyone agreeing with me?

No, I like to be challenged in my opinions, especially if it highlights that my opinion is based on something that isn't correct. If it is solely a matter of subjectivity, though, it is in the understanding of where the disagreement lies, and what gives rise to that difference, that I find, above all, fascinating.
    But there are: you can either agree with me... or be wrong!

wegs likes this.
  19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Actually, I should have worded the OP a little differently. lol

By ''like,'' I meant do you enjoy the conflict, do you enjoy defending your position, or do you feel uncomfortable when conflict arises? I agree, being challenged and learning something new, then changing our minds is how we grow. It's a good thing, but do you ''like'' getting into conflict to get to that point? I've never been ''comfortable'' with confrontation, but it's necessary for the learning process. {shrug}

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  20. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

So, are you a player or a cheerleader? Do you want to shout, "Good answer! Good answer!" on the sidelines? Or do you want to get in where the bones crunch? (Maybe your own.)

21. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yea, I suppose ''playing in the game'' is more worthwhile than staying on the sidelines, but I don't like it. Staying on the sidelines doesn't require any risks really, or maybe it does, because ''nothing ventured, nothing gained'' could be far worse than ''venturing and losing.''

My OP was to see if anyone ''likes'' it, being challenged...not if they value or respect it as part of the debate/learning process, if that makes sense.

22. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My mom didn't like confrontation. She hated it when we (four brothers) argued. I'll admit that I often argued for the sake of argument - and I suppose I still do. I think it's good to be able to argue something, whether it's necessary or not, whether you espouse the position you argue or not.

wegs likes this.
  23. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

That’s a good point - to be “able” to argue or “defend” your opinion, if/when required. I suppose my dislike of conflict/disagreement comes from arguing with my father and his need to “win.” There are only “winners” and “losers” to people like him, whereas to me, debate can be enlightening and even entertaining, no need for anyone to “keep score.”

Write4U and sideshowbob like this.