Whence comes logic

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Speakpigeon, Dec 13, 2018.

1. river

Brain but more importantly intelligence in and of itself , in the Universe

the logic of intelligence existing in the first place

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I understand that to be a function of reason.
    I understand that to be a function of logic.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I would rephrase that to read ; the logic of emergent intelligence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

river said: ↑

yes

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I agree. Order is Logic. Understanding Logic is Reasoning.
    I agree.
    Note; computers are not reasonable, only logical. They do not produce reasonable results, they produce logical results.

9. river

disagree

logic does not bring in knowledge

without knowledge there is nothing to be logical about

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Rene Descartes would disagree with you.

"Cogit ergo sum" (I think therefore I am) arose from his decision to cast out absolutely everything he thinks he knows - all knowledge - and arrive at his existence from nothing more than the realization that:

whatever unknowable thing it is that is asking the question - that thing exists, and it is me.

That is logic in absence of knowledge.

11. river

still based on knowledge , the thing that exists , is knowledge of which he does not know of

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

How exactly?

13. river

not how Dave , but why .

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

No. How.

How is Descartes logical deduction dependent on knowledge of the world around him?

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Are you suggesting universal physical properties are or have knowledge, or that the study of universal physical properties leads to knowledge.
    Let me refresh your knowledge (memory) of the definition of knowledge;

16. river

awareness of the world around him

17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The whole point of his logic is that it is entirely independent of the world around him. Be came to it by recognizing that all knowledge is inherently untrustworthy - and rejecting it.

He could be deaf and blind and have zero input of the world - having only his own thoughts, and his logic still holds.

18. river

He is wrong .

Is ALL knowledge untrustworthy ?

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Well that's why you are one of the most famous and enduring philosophers in modern history, and he is just a guy on a forum.

Wait, that's not it.

In principle, yes. Witness the Brain in a Vat.

20. river

yet it is true that Brain has to exist in order for the concept of the vat to be derived , to be thought of

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Not true. The mind must exist, but it need not be a brain.

22. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Like, somebody else's knowledge? How'd he get ahold of that?
    Or knowledge that was just lying around behind his eyelids -- actually, that's probably accurate in Descarte's musings, since he claims to have discovered God inside his own empty head. I suspect he fudged those results for publication. But he used logic to understand that he needed to do so.
    All knowledge is provisional. We act on what we think we know at any given time, but we also keep doubting, adding, subtracting, modifying, re-evaluating and sometimes discarding knowledge. You said earlier: "knowledge changes" and that's true. Logic doesn't change: as long as it's functioning, knowledge is enlarged, improved and made each day a little more nearly trustworthy.
    I thought we all sprayed on this mulberry bush two pages ago. Without intelligence, there is no knowledge.
    Nothing "brings in" knowledge: knowledge is produced in the brain, from incoming data by the processes of recognition, assessment, comparison, organization and memory. Logic may or may not be applied to any particular incoming datum - if it is not, that information may become an opinion without being knowledge. MAGA!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  23. river

without knowledge , things that are the basis of knowledge , there is no intelligence .

the basis of knowledge is things that exist , energy and matter , then comes the ability for life , intelligence to exist

knowledge always has existed , it is when our intelligence is to the point of this understanding this

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018