Where do herbivore animals get their protein from?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Magical Realist, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Do you have evidence for this? I ask you cite evidence the they could not extract enough amines and nitrogen containing compounds from plant matter alone.

There is no evidence that nitrogen fixation occurs at levels capable of sustaining ruminants:
    http://journalofanimalscience.org/content/41/4/1161.full.pdf html

So they have to be getting all their nitrogen from compounds in the plants, not gut flora, which at best process, convert and release these compounds from the plant matter.

No please cite evidence of the amount of daily protein uptake the brain requires.

This is circumstantial, it is not evidence that brains require a lot of protein for simple maintenance.

Again proof of nothing only correlation.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Cellulose doesn't, but plants have a lot more than cellulose in them. For example, they synthesize glutamate which contains bioavailable nitrogen. Also keep in mind that mammals can synthesize most of the amino acids they need.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I think I stated enough sources of nitrogen in plants, rather mammals nor plants can synthesize amines themselves: they can't fix nitrogen but need nitrogen compounds to make proteins, only specific bacteria can fix nitrogen and that is where ALL of the nitrogen in protein fundementally comes from.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.