Where do Personalities come from?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Benthur, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Benthur Registered Member

I always thought that personality came from your thought processes some how, so I assumed your brain was responsible. I took my grandson to this butterfly conservatory place and the butterflies all had different personalities just like my dogs or people. But I while I was there I learned that butterflies don't have brains just nerve networks so where do their personalities come from? Just curious. I thought it was utterly amazing.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

That's a good question. Many people would like to tell you the brain and many psychologists and neurobiologists would tell you that, but thats just a best guess because truth is we don't really know. Maybe not the brain if things like insects or starfish have personalities too. :shrug:

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

An individual's personality is an aggregate conglomeration of decisions we've made throughout our lives (Bradshaw). There are inherent natural, genetic, and environmental factors that contribute to the development of our personality; however, in the pursuit of a more defined persona, many individuals enroll in courses offered in colleges to further or enhance the image they intend to project to others. These classes assist in identifying your conscious traits and contrasting them with what you intend to exhibit. According to process of socialization, "personality also colors our values, beliefs, and expectations...Hereditary factors that contribute to personality development do so as a result of interactions with the particular social environment in which people live." There are several personality types as Katharine Cook Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers illustrated in several personalities typology tests. These tests only provide enlightenment based on the preliminary insight scored according to the answers judged by the parameters of the test. Other theories on personality development are Jean Piaget stages of development, and personality development in Sigmund Freud 's theory being formed through the interaction of id, ego and superego.

Personality can be defined as a dynamic and organized set of characteristics possessed by a person that uniquely influences his or her cognitions, motivations, and behaviors in various situations (Ryckman, 2004). The word "personality" originates from the Greek persona, which means mask. Significantly, in the theatre of the ancient Latin-speaking world, the mask was not used as a plot device to disguise the identity of a character, but rather was a convention employed to represent or typify that character.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_development"

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yorda Registered Senior Member

I'm weird because I don't have a personality, so I can choose what personality I want to use. Personalities are just thoughts.

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Always intrigued me as to why brothers and sisters can turn out so different...in spite of being raised in the same environment and having the same genetic background.

9. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I found mine in the fridge.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Genetics + environment.

11. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I'd be guessing 80% genetic, 20% environmental.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Each case is different I suppose. It could be 80/20 for some, but it could also be 20/80 for others..

Hmm.. :scratchin:
    Maybe we need a working def. of 'personality'..

13. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

UMM,..antithesis of George Walker Bush?

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I make mine up according to how I feel each day, that way I drive my doctors nutz!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

LOL He has a personality alright... it's a big part of the problem

16. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I'm not sure about the personality of my doctor, he's a cold inquisitive chap who lays me on his sofa and queries the nature of my deepest sexual fantasies....?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

An important question is whether personality is static or not..

18. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Yeah it is and static ones I think you will find become boring very quickly.

19. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Would that be the one where you are surrounded with Ms Spuds with Interchangeable breast sizes......running after you with pototoe peelers yelling c'mon we just want wanna give you "Potato Head" ??????

20. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Stop Shorty, you're making me equal parts horny and nervous!

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I suggest you bring it up at your next Dr. visit

22. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

What is being described as "personality" in the butterflies?
    It is a pattern of behaviour - however generated - be it brain, nerve networks, non-living mechanisms.
    E.g. Cars could be said to have "personalities" - comparing one that needs a lot of TLC to one that looks above its station.

Personality is just a descriptive word for observed patterns of behaviour - nothing more.
    In humans, because of our brains, it is far more complex than that of a butterfly.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But when a personality appears non-static, isn't that just different facets of a static personality ?