Where does the energy go - magnetism question.

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Ickyrus, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

The Land of Milk and Honey.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Emil Valued Senior Member

Yep, If I remember correctly, this is one of the causes of global cooling.
    Like: "The Earth corrects itself, if global warming reaches a critical point, it will start a geomagnetic pole reversal as a mechanism to reverse this unacceptable trend."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

How sound is this science?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Emil! You do comedy in your day job?

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I see a lot of attempts to belittle the questioner here, but no really good explanations so far.

Maybe one of our self-appointed experts might like to try again instead of trying to establish superiority over the dummies.

9. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

When a magnet interacts with the earth's field, they experience equal and opposite forces. Energy lost by the magnet adds to the earth's magnetic field (ignoring friction). The gyro inside the earth increases slightly. This is where the energy goes.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  10. Ickyrus Registered Senior Member

if the gyro increase's with these slight energy inputs would not the spin of the earth through friction eventually increase - yet I am told that the earths spin is gradually slowing down.

11. hardalee Registered Senior Member

It goes out in heat caused by the friction between the tile and the spinning object. The friction itself is defined by F=mu*n where mu is the coeffienct of friction and n is the weight of the objectwith F being the frictional force. It is actually a little more complicated since the mu is the moving rathter than the static coefficent of friction.

The static coefficent of friction is that which allows first movement and the moveing coefficent applies when it is moving. The static one is larger than the moving one.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Ditto last post. Plus friction with the air.

What are magnetic fields made out of anyway?
    Is it a field of electrons?

13. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Heat needs defining, because heat is a vague description. e.g...It goes out in mist, it goes out in smoke, it goes out in colour, it goes out in smell, it goes out in taste, it goes out in sound.

I suppose you mean that the rotation is changed into linear vibration.

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Regarding this question, I have found this, from a person called "coolmagenetman", a name which does not inspire me with confidence:

So, how does one magnet feel the presence of another magnet when they approach each other? I don't think physicists really know the answer to that. They know that the electromagnetic field is actually made of an enormous number of photons, but do virtual, massless photons make up the magnetic field, and how does one field affect other magnetic fields at a distance, and does the magnetic field travel at the speed of light like gravitational waves? Perhaps you will be the one to discover some of these answers.

http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magfield.htm
    So is coolmagnetman cool, or not?

Added later. This question seems like it might become pretty involved and derail this thread, so please don't answer it here.
    I'll start a new thread.

If interested, go to http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2857036#post2857036

15. hardalee Registered Senior Member

No, I mean heat.

Might be some vibration during movement, generating heat.

Might generate smoke, mist, smell, taste and color in a high enerty state, such as a cars tire on pavement during a quick stop, but not the example of the OP.

16. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

No, I mean, heat doesn't really exist, it's a high level description of physics. So you must mean vibration.

17. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

What part of the following two posts do you find belittling toward the original poster? While there are obviously other issues involved, like friction.., the question involved the magnetic fields of the magnet and the earth and the difference in how a magnet compared to a unmagnaetized piece of metal slowed down...

18. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Who said anything about affecting the earth? Do you suppose that all man made magnets are all facing the same direction, opposing the north or south at the same time? Nope. It's random. There is zero net effect.

The correct answer, as I understood the question, is gyro.

Friction, heat, those avoid the point of your question. You were in effect asking what supplies the energy. An engine supplies energy to my wheels. If I coast down a hill, I return energy to the engine (ignoring friction etc).

The iron core of the earth is rotating at a different rate than the crust. This generates a magnetic field. Oppose the field and you add or subtract energy from the inertia of the gyro. Of course it is unmeasurable and insignificant, and random with net zero effect.

Final answer.

19. hardalee Registered Senior Member

No. I mean heat.

Turn on a stove. Wait a while till it glows.

Put your hand on it. How's that for a high level description of physics?

20. Emil Valued Senior Member

There are several aspects.
    You can not make a compass with neodymium magnets on your bathroom tile.
    If there is a difference in time to stop, it is due to difference in mass, energy that used for motion and difference in friction. This is not related to the interaction of the magnetic fields. (You can get a high-performance pendulum, suspending a magnet in a magnetic field, because the energy loss is only due to the friction with air.)
    In heat, due to friction.
    If near the magnet is a metal then can induce an eddy current, which also heats.

21. Pincho Paxton Banned Banned

Poor?

22. hardalee Registered Senior Member

I would say "hot".

23. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

Why not?

The magnetic properties have no effect?

Yes, there are many things that can be and are involved, in how fast a spinning magnet or an unmagnaetized spinning piece of metal, slow down.

The question was, as I understood it to be, about the interaction of the magnet's magnetic field and the earth's magnetic field.., and where the energy went as the magnet slows and aligns itself with the Earth's magnetic field.

The fact that some of the energy is lost to friction, which we can discuss the nature and origins of in detail, does not eliminate the interaction between the magnet and the Earth's magnetic field.