Where have you gone this summer?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Bowser, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I've been working, so much so that I haven't gone anywhere, yet, this summer. My wife and daughter went camping without me this weekend, and I am feeling a need to travel. I want to, at least, spend a couple days at the beach before the weather turns.

So, where have you been this summer?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Im thankin about a visit to Harlan county KY in the Fall... a beautiful place.!!!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

The beach and to a few parties with friends, but just stayed local, this summer

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

A couple of weeks ago we got back from a trip that consisted of camping three nights at Yosemite NP, followed by a two night stay just outside of San Fransisco, spending the day between in SF (we walked the Golden Gate Bridge the evening of our arrival), and then a leisurely three day drive up the coast (passing through Redwood NP) before returning home to Portland.

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Spent two years in Kentucky. What I remember are the ticks. No, we had fun too.
    That's more than I've done this summer. We did have a graduation party for my daughter this summer.
    That sounds like fun. I would be happy to get out of Portland for just the weekend.

9. zgmc Registered Senior Member

I've been to a few concerts,

Dead and Company

Phish

Widespread Panic

Tedeschi Trucks band, with
    North Mississippi All Stars, and
    Los Lobos.

This Friday going to see Gov't Mule.

10. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

To the limits of my sanity at work.

sideshowbob likes this.
  11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Just a little crazy!

12. naturallygorg Registered Member

We visited this resort. It's UAE's version of Santorini. Such a great place to relax with your family. I really enjoyed our stay there.

13. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Mountain climbing in upstate NY in June for a week, then camping/hiking in the deep bush on the Northern shore of Lake Superior in August. Took about 2000 pictures to use a source material for oil paintings. Also had a squirrel chew through the wiring on my vehicle such that the engine compartment caught fire. Luckily we were able to drive out, though damaged to the tune of $2000 US.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

The usual. Sat in front of the box.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My wonderful wife (the third, but I have no antipathy toward the first two) got married in 2014 and bought a really nice, big house on two acres in the suburbs of Baltimore. We rather enjoy hanging out here with our pets.

The only place where we go during the summer is the Maryland Renaissance Faire. The wife is a Ren Faire junkie, and has been going at least once a week for about 20 years--it's only open on Sat. and Sun. from the end of August to the beginning of October. I'm not quite as excited about it as she is, but I have a good time.

I did a lot of traveling when I was younger, but at 73 I'm content to enjoy our home and the local attractions. I celebrated my 30th birthday by buying a BMW motorcycle at the factory in Munich and spending 2 months riding through 11 countries. Perestroika hadn't happened yet, so some of those countries were in the Soviet bloc, but I found the people to be very nice.

I've lived in California, Arizona, Illinois and Maryland, so I've seen a lot of the USA first-hand--especially Hawaii, which is just as wonderful as people say it is. I've been to Canada a few times, and it's lovely, but other than that, it's not much different from here--just colder.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Also Mexico a few times, which is a lot of fun, especially since I learned Spanish in Arizona.

16. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Went to Cyprus for three months.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My wife is a Renaissance Faire aficionado, as I noted in my earlier post. We try to go at least once on every weekend, from opening day in early September to closing day in late October.

Unfortunately this year we missed it twice. The temperature here in Maryland was up in the mid-90s on opening weekend. She has multiple sclerosis, so extreme heat could literally kill her.

Then a few weeks ago we planned to go on Sunday, but it rained so hard on Saturday that the grounds (not to mention the parking lot) were too muddy for walking or driving.