WHERE'S THE PROOF???

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Flash, Aug 10, 1999.

1. Flash Registered Senior Member

I have been away for awhile...there is a lot
    I have yet to read. All I want to know..for
    those "christians" that were here during the
    time of the debate of the bible being real
    or fake...why wasn't there any answers???
    I have yet to find proof.
    I gave a lot of contradictions of the bible
    and no one to my knowledge was able to answer. It was put on a burner... with
    "I'll get back to ya on that Flash"
    Funny, huh?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. H-kon Registered Senior Member

Welcome back Flash.. This place isn't the same place without ya.

I am not a Christian, so i really can't answer many of your questions.. I just end up writing a bunch of my theories. But there are some people in here that "know" much more about that than i do, so it's a little bit sad that you dont't get the "answers" that you have been asking for.. Why i put it that way, is because every person has their own answes about this.. so.. But welcome back.. Missed ya. ! (not to forget Lori)

------------------
    "We didn't inherit this world from our parents, we are borrowing it from our children".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Flash Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the welcome back H-Kon

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have missed you too... I have read some
    of the posts I have missed this past month..
    and looks as if you are holding your own..
    good job!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Matt D Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Proof denies faith. Without Faith religion is nothing. The sooner we all wake up to this the better. Religion breeds hypocrisy and bigotry like nothing else known. Without proof we are all to be shagged yet we are told without Faith we are shagged. We get shagged from both sides. Do away with the whole corrupt systems. I live a more decent life than many of my religious brothers. I don't declare war on smaller neighbours like so many other religious bigots in the name of their God(s), I don't murder, commit aldutery or steal. Many religious peoples do. Does this make me any worse than them or better. Yet because I have no Faith my soul is doomed? Oh, can't I get redemption by saying "sorry for all the people I have killed, raped, stole from" and stilll receive salvation? Bizarreness of most Biblical proportions indeedy yes siree up yer Kilt hoots mon the noo and arjar macfaddy pantwagon. I'm bored....

------------------
    You know it to be so

8. People make me laugh when they want proof
    the Bible is real. Just look the history books covering Isreal and you have your proof. Their is a whole country with
    their history listed in the Bible, not to
    mention the neighboring countries.

I am a christian who does believe in UFOs.
    I am really looking forward to the TV show
    on the guy named Wyett who found the arch of
    the covenant.

9. Matt D Skeptic Registered Senior Member

I take it you mean Ark? Nevermind. Which Ark has this person found? The single largest prize in humanity and hundreds of people claim to have found it all over the place.

If you are interested in quite a good detective story, and as much as I hate to say it, but Graham Hancock's Sign and the Seal is a quite worthy read. He also claims to have found the Ark.

------------------
    You know it to be so

10. Matt D Skeptic Registered Senior Member

Ooops.

Yep, the Bible is real. I have one of several different copies made. Mine is the King James version. If you are catholic you may have another version. Each has vast chunks missing and equaly large chunks added or modified by various churches over time to enable them to cling to power. The currently available Bible, while also a good read, is not complete. We have a right to the complete works. Do you not think so? Write to the church you belong and ask them for your rightful inheritance.

------------------
    You know it to be so

11. Yes, Ark, Thank you,
    the journal of the unexplained had a very
    good article on it. It was found by
    archeologist Ron Wyatt and the evidence
    will be on PAX tv 12/31.

The article was very detail and very interesting. Check it out!
    Thanks for correcting my spelling, being
    dsylexic, you never know how it will ocme
    out. hee hee.

12. Lori Registered Senior Member

Not that it's not possible, I find it rather unimportant to try to "prove" the Bible based upon historical evidence. There's just only so much of it to go around, and it's been so long, and it's been translated, and re-translated. If that's what you are counting on to "get" religion, then I don't think that you're going to get it at all. I just can't understand why you get so caught up in the details. You know, I did respond to your questions regarding the discrepancies you found in the Bible. Remember, I used the analogy of a plane crash to represent the resurrection? LMAO! That's funny, looking back now. The flippin' plane crashed, and Jesus was resurrected. Who cares about the frickin' logistics? I guess what I'm trying to say is that what religion is about to me, is that THERE EXISTS a truth. One could, and most do, spend a lifetime trying to figure it out, and never fully comprehend what exactly that truth is. The mere recognition that there exists an ideal of sorts. I often think of religion in terms of idealism. There exists an ideal representation of what this world is supposed to be, and how we are supposed to be, and then there exists the reality that we have to face each day. The proof to me comes from knowing, and may I say OBVIOUSLY, that we did not create this ideal, and that we do not know the truth. Some of us have figured out some of it, some more than others, others different parts of it, but the fact remains that it exists. It's the debate between absolutism and relativism. Who draws that line? Who says what's right or wrong? You can feel it in your heart. That's where God talks to you. Many of us ignore that when it is convenient, or when our emotions run high, or when our egos get in the way, or when we rationalize soooooooo well. It exists, face it. And it's not all that bad, you know? LOL! If we all spent our lives with the same intentions that Jesus had, and we all realized that this planet, and everything on it and in it, including ourselves, and the whole flippin' universe REALLY belongs to someone else, and we need to respect this, then how different would we all be? How different would this world be? I don't even think that most of us can comprehend that, given the ripple effect, and who knows how many years of history.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    God loves you and so do I!

13. Flash Registered Senior Member

Lori,
    *S* I didn't mean that nobody replied to
    the post..what I meant was that you and others totally passed off the fact that the
    Bible has tons and tons of contradictions.
    Details??? LOL Well..in order to "follow"
    a god..wouldn't you think that EVERY THING
    should be "perfect"...just as the god of the
    bible is said to be perfect. If he is perfect..and the bible is "his word" should the contradictions exist? Don't
    think so! It is important...ok.you say that
    details shouldn't be important.. let's say
    there was the most juicy and tender steak
    sitting right in front of you. Your mouth
    begins to water at the sight of it. Ohh..
    wait.... oh no..right in the center is
    dog shit...oh well..don't worry about that
    little detail...look at the rest of the steak. Hmmm.. does your mouth still water?
    *S*

[This message has been edited by Flash (edited August 19, 1999).]

14. generalhurrss Registered Senior Member

The bible is a book of prophecy, just like the prophecies Nostrodamus wrote of, a god came into it because of the translation of Elohim, but this word means 'they who came from the sky' and thus the translations came up with god. There is no god, never has been and never shall be, humans just take the translation for granted.

15. Lori Registered Senior Member

Flash,

If I can't tell the difference between a steak and dog shit, then you can keep the steak. Where the hell do you go for steak, Ponderosa?

------------------

16. generalhurrss Registered Senior Member

You may jest Lori, but Flash is right.
    People are so wrapped up in their faith they fail to see the obvious.

17. Lori Registered Senior Member

What's obvious general? Don't tell me...that aliens REALLY wrote the Bible, right? THAT is the theory that will send many straight to hell soon. Don't be fooled. It's less obvious than you think.

------------------

18. This looks like a fascinating debate. And if I may . . . .
    All of these arguments are pretty typical - just like I used to feel when I was an atheist. The Bible contains contradictions because you are looking for contradictions just like I was when trying to justify my own position. Now the Bible contains something you won't find when looking for contradictions - it contains truth, but it can't be seen if not looked for.

19. Plato Registered Senior Member

The way I see it, the bible contains just about anything people want to make of it. That 's whats so nice about enigmatic ancient texts, one can keep on interpreting. We've been doing it for the past 2000 years, I don't see why we can't keep it up for the next 2000 years.
    It would be nice to see what they come up with it by then...

------------------
    we are midgets standing on the backs of giants,
    Plato

20. Lori Registered Senior Member

Interested Party,

Amen to that, brother. You are 100% correctamundo. Flash and others abhor the truth, because it will mean that they will have to change too many things about themselves or their lives. She knows that and so do I. What's funny though, is that they think it would be some big struggle, and it's not. They are afraid of the idea of judgement, but they conveniently forget about forgiveness. It's all ego-driven. The truth (in big picture form at least) is just too obvious for there to be any other logical reason for such denial.

Besides, the contradictions that she wrote about are incidental at best. Like the logistics of the resurrection. Who was there and when and in what chronological order? Who gives a shit? He is risen!!! THAT'S the message you're supposed to be getting! Remember Flash, the Bible is divinely inspired, but was written BY MEN, who are not perfect as God is. And not only that, but it's been translated for 2000 years. God protects His message; you are just refusing to get what His message is. I mean, what do you think, that when you get to heaven Jesus is going to give you a pop quiz over the logistics surrounding the resurrection? That's insane Flash!!!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited August 20, 1999).]

21. generalhurrss Registered Senior Member

Lori,
    I believe man wrote the bible, but the inspiration does not come from a god.
    The translations have been distorted over time and probably no one will ever know the truth of its origins. All I see is a book which guides us toward a path of honesty and kindness but without the religious fanatical point of a sole creator. I understand that the words are easily twisted to suit the means, so I read it as it is not as faithful people want it to be.
    I can live a clean life, that is acceptable, but I will not bend my whim to suit a being that does not exist, I will not kneel before something that fails to show itself to humanity.
    This being existed once, accordiing to Genesis, it walked the earth, and not in some spiritual aura, if it shows itself now as it did all those years before then I will understand its existance and only then will I not defy its existance.

Oh look, a flying pig.

22. Flash Registered Senior Member

Gen,
    YOU couldn't have pointed out better what
    Lori and others like her are DOING. They
    choose not to see the obvious! I just want
    to know why they do this!!

I cannot remember who wrote about finding
    contradictions in the bible because others
    are looking for them...but that is ohhh so
    not true! I think it is the other way around.. You maintain the bible is truth..
    the message is real..but deny the total
    contradictions that are in there.

Lori,
    wait just a minute. You know what..I wouldn't change a thing about me for nothing..that has nothing to do with it!!!
    Further, why did you totally dismiss the
    point I was making- AGAIN????
    You know... I wrote a hell of a lot more scriptures ...maybe you missed them HA!
    As far as the word being inspired by God and
    written by men..ok...here is my question.
    How the "F" is one to know what is real and
    what is not??? How are we to know what the
    hell sin is if man took the original message
    and distorted it..just like any tom, dick/preacher does? If this bible is not real because man wrote it..why the hell
    do you read it?? Why do you choose to go to
    it for some kind of f'n guidance??? It doesn't make sense to me why you'd do it.
    BTW... I eat only the best steak I can find..
    I am wayyyyyyyyyy picky about steak...but,
    that is only because I pay attention to details..therefore, I know shit when I see it.

[This message has been edited by Flash (edited August 20, 1999).]

23. Dave Registered Senior Member

The bible was written by man as instructed by God - Here, write this down! -
    The Book of Mormon, however, was written by man INSPIRED by God. Big difference.

Yes religion is a pain in the ass, but Christians tend in general to behave themselves. It's the other murderous fanatical religious nuts that cause the wars. How many times lately have you heard about a Christian prayer group finishing up and then going on a rampage sworn to kill as many Muslims as they can get their hands on???
    Religion is a pain - Christians aren't. ( Unless you feel threatened by them! )

Dave.