which browser? (again)

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Avatar, Sep 2, 2006.

?

Which internet browser do you mainly use?

1. Firefox

68.0%
  2. Opera

12.0%
  3. Internet Explorer

16.0%
  4. Safari

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Konqueror

4.0%
  6. Galeon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Sea Monkey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. other...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Well, some time has passed since the previous pool, let's see if something has changed in our preferences.

THE LINK LIST

Firefox
    Opera
    Internet Explorer
    Safari
    Konqueror
    Galeon
    Sea Monkey

As for me, I have switched to Konqueror from Galeon, and had switched from Firefox to Galeon previously.
    I love the extensions of Firefox, but it was just too unstable and heavy to my liking.
    Galeon is very nice, but too simple for my browsing habits.

Recently I discovered that Konqueror has improved a lot as a web browser, so I use it now.

p.s. I realize that I should have written "web browser" instead of "internet browser", but what's done is done.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i voted "firefox", but i have to say that i use firefox and opera fairly equally....i download lots of mod files for games i am trying to program.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i have only used IE and firefox and obviously firefox is better so thats what i used

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I only use IE

8. sony Registered Senior Member

Opera,

You can go back to every browser you opened/visited(undo feature). If the browser crashes, it'll open up again to what you were previously browsing. Exellent pop-up/spam blocker. Highlight text/right click for voice reader. and lots more. Overall, it is much more stable than Firefox, though I do use Firefox occasionally.

9. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Would you care to explain why?

10. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I'm not a big fan of having extraneous applications on my computer. I like to keep it simple- one browser, one office suite, one paint program, one CD burner application, etc etc.

In deciding to install another browser, I have to live with the fact that I have multiple browsers.

I've also had very few problems with Internet Explorer, and don't feel the need to switch.

11. przyk squishy Valued Senior Member

Why isn't Mozilla/Netscape on the list?

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Netscape is dead, Sea Monkey is the new Mozilla

13. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I use firefox with a few plugins:

adblock

downthemall - brings up a list of every part of a webpage, you check what you want and it downloads

tabmixplus -
    Basically does what you're saying, sony, but for ff

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I've been using Firefox for quite a while now, perhaps a year and a half. What drew me to it was the tabbed browsing. I said "goodbye forever" to Internet Explorer and its many windows when I experienced how nice Firefox was.

15. Blindman Valued Senior Member

IE7 is by far the best. Much faster then IE6, tab browsing, integrated search, and much more especially in the security department.

16. perplexity Banned Banned

Much more fun for the hackers then.

What needs to be understood here is that it is not about the provision of features to provide securuity; it is about the s provision of "security holes" to encourage the hackers. If they'd never done that we'd be doing well enough.

Programmers and web site developers hate Microsoft.

Here is why:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/8/16/4999

--- Ron.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

i consider myself a loyal windows user. even when i had to give up my old OS and migrate to XP.

IE sucks, big time. firefox is true open source, in fact it is everything gates himself would be proud of and probably is.

as far as add-ons for IE? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

what's you lookin' at willis? :bugeye:

add-ons for firefox?
    well looky here boys:
    http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/mozilla/extensions/

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I'm using opera. I used to use Firefox, and pointed out to the wife that IE is no good. She happily switched to firefox, but you should never use the same internet browser as your partner so I switched back to Opera. An old love.

19. Blindman Valued Senior Member

Well being a programmer and web site developer I beg to differ.

The STANDARD is a pile of shit. Its grossly overweight, obtuse and years behind MS implementation. Microsoft determined this years ago and decided not to follow the standard and develop there own. Any programmer with any merit that has had experience in web development will tell you, MS's IE, DHTML and scripting is far superior then the STANDARD. Thank god Microsoft is not jumping of cliff like all the other lemmings

Yep and feels like all other open source applications I have ever come across, total crap, years behind the leaders and not worth the download time.

This is of course just my humble opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.