Which statement is false?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by wegs, Mar 10, 2020.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Thought we could have a bit of fun with this game where we have four statements relating to science (must be science related, hence the subforum I chose to post this) but one of those statements is false. I'll go first, and whoever guesses it correctly, needs to post four statements of their own, one of those statements being false, and so on...

Here we go:

Which of the following statements is false?

1. There are 8 times as many atoms in a teaspoonful of water as there are teaspoonfuls of water in the Atlantic ocean.

2. In an entire lifetime, the average person walks the equivalent of 25 times around the world.

3. Killer whales are actually dolphins.

4. When Helium is cooled to almost absolute zero (-460°F or -273°C, the lowest temperature possible), it becomes a liquid with surprising properties: it flows against gravity and will start running up and over the lip of a glass container.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

At a glance, I'm gonna say no. 2 is false. That's over six hundred thousand miles in perhaps 20 to 25 thousand days. No way is the average person walking over 25 miles a day.

I'll do the second part later. I'm listening to Tony William's Lifetime and it requires intense concentration.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    wegs likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Well done. In an entire lifetime, the average person actually walks the equivalent of ''five'' times around the world, not 25.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

1. False. Teaspoons are smaller than oceans by about 10^8ish times (there are one million metres spanning a 1000km ocean). Atoms are much more than 10^20 times smaller than a teaspoon. So order of magnitude comparison is off by trillions.
    2. (presuming) False.
    3. True!
    4. True!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  8. Halc Registered Senior Member

Volume isn't measured in meters. I got 2.5e23 teaspoons in the ocean and about thrice that number of atoms in a tsp. Almost equal if you count molecules.
    I probably f'd up the calculation somewhere.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

#2 is false.

To keep it going, now you have to post four statements, with one being false.