Who has witnessed this 'evolution'?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Mathers2013, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

You don't need billions of years. There was a docu on TV a little while ago, and they had a tray split into sections, and they put a particular kind of bacterium into a weak solution of anti-biotics in the first section, and most of the bugs died but then some didn't and the ones that survived had evolved resistance and thrived and took over that section, and they repeated that experiment a couple of times with stronger anti-biotics with the same result each time. That's evolution before your eyes.

You do know that new flu viruses arrive every year, right? That we have AIDS which came from animals? That there is a new variety of TB which has evolved to become drug-resistant? All due to evolution, buddy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grumpy Curmudgeon of Lucidity Valued Senior Member

spidergoat
    I thought Stanley Kubrick did it so much better, portraying the kernel of the idea but editing out all the greasy details, then suddenly you're in space listening to classical music. That about covers the whole thing in two scenes, wouldn't you say?

Grumpy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You don't even need to go there. How does he know we weren't there? Was he there?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Way to respond to a mod admonishing you for posting crap in a science forum, by giving a farsical strawman as your opening rebuttal in the thread. Can you prove that sleeping is not an acquired trait handed down though a billion years or more of speciation?
    :shrug:

Surely you are wrong, or all sleeping animals would be extinct with or without evolution.

Surely simians, like all other animals, evolved the behavior of arboreal sleeping as a survival behavior, and surely proto-humans came out of the trees and developed fire, improvised shelter and weapons to protect themselves from noctural attacks. Surely this was as effective as arboreal sleeping, and surely all manners of defense have been adequate to preserve all extant species from extinction by predation. Surely survival depends on a great many factors, beginning with finding food and drinking, both of which are more safely and efficiently done in daylight. Surely these extant sleepers survived by taking care of their other survival needs while their predators slept, by raising alarms when predators were sighted, and by warding them off or escaping by use of the superior primate instincts. Surely this explains why chimps will attack and kill unprotected cubs. And surely there is a lot more to biology than simplistic assumptions, cynicism and superstition. Surely it involves actual knowledge. At some point you should enroll yourself in a biology class and discover what you've been missing.

From their parents?

Gee, I don't know, Mathers. I guess we either notice of the world around us or we slink back into our mud huts, deny everything except personal delusion and group think, and resort to superstition, lies and propaganda, just to beat our chests and claim dominion over the dung heap cranks cling to . . . just as proto-humans might have done. But we've evolved beyond that.

Business as usual? ...or do you have something intelligent to add to the debate?

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

There have been several examples of laboratory experiments that have observed evolution. Do your homework. I will side with Fraggle and suggest that you simply stay out of the discussion.

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Why can't they bring the dinosaurs back? Answer me that. It was so much more interesting then.

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

There's also the little-known defensive measure of "waking up because you hear something strange".

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm reminded of the Pirahã people of the Amazon, they have a saying, "don't sleep, there are snakes".

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, have they ever evolved "not-sleep"? Take that, evolutionist scum.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

13. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I'm having a Sisyphus moment...

Doomed to repeat this same thread again and again. Groundhog day also comes to mind...

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Recent research into this very subject has been all over the news lately. When an animal sleeps, its brain cells contract slightly, greatly increasing the spaces between them. This allows blood to flow at a greater rate, cleansing the environment efficiently. Then when the animal wakes up its thought processes are more efficient.

In addition, it's already well-known that the mammalian brain organizes the information it collects during REM sleep. The invention of the technology of controlled fire, which both discouraged predators and made them easier to spot if they approached, facilitated a quantum increase in the number of hours our pre-sapiens ancestors could sleep each night. This was one of the watershed moments in our evolution, and from this point on our intelligence increased greatly because of the greater organization.

The self-domestication of dogs (they were in awe of the gigantic piles of perfectly good food we left lying around our camps that we called "garbage"), with their keen senses of smell, hearing and night vision, not to mention their fangs and claws, made us even safer at night and helped us sleep even more peacefully. So thank your puppy for helping you become a modern human.

Ardipithecus, about 7MYA, appears to be the true "missing link" between humans and chimpanzees. Ardi was the first fully bipedal ape, allowing him to carry large armloads of food back to camp (where, perhaps, the females and babies waited in safety), yet he still had an opposable hallux ("big toe") that left him as a nimble climber who could easily take shelter in the trees if predators approached, and could sleep there safely. Ardi was the first to climb down out of the trees and develop a ground-based lifestyle--if only in the daytime.

You refer to Pan troglodytes, the "true chimpanzee." This species is rather violent and has been known to gang up on members of rival tribes and kill them. But the smaller bonobo chimpanzee, Pan paniscus, is the peace-lovin' hippie of the jungle. They rarely initiate violence and instead spend a good deal of their time having sex in pairs and groups, sometimes the whole tribe including the children.

Zookeepers used to assume they were the same species and tossed bonobos in with their larger cousins, a disaster for the bonobos.

There's no point in arguing with Mathers. He just comes here to make wisecracks and stir up trouble. He clearly knows virtually nothing about science and has no interest in learning.

I have already issued him a Warning for trolling and the other Moderators have him on troll-watch.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Randwolf is right, though. It'll never, ever end.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

17. Saturnine Pariah Hell is other people Valued Senior Member

18. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The notion that God's personal doing is the best explanation for whatever some creationist hasn't seen for themselves is a script idea with legs, though.

19. Bells Staff Member

All animals sleep or rest.

Personally I sleep because I am tired.

Well I don't know about you, but we all came from our mother's wombs. Never an exact copy of our parents, just slightly different.

To answer your question.. We evolved.

I'll tell you what.

If at the end of this thread you have learned something, then we can show you exactly how you evolved from being a big idiot to only a small idiot.

20. Zeno Registered Senior Member

I've already proven on another thread that evolution is an impossibility. Every time somebody is born they receive half of their genetic information from their mother
    and half from their father, therefore there is no new information coming into existence, therefore there is no evolution. A bigger question is... why do we pretend that something is true when we already know that it isn't?

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why do you pretend that you have a clue when you don't?

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CB/CB102.html

22. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Shouldn't, then, we all be clones of Adam and Eve?

This is one of the dumber anti-evolution arguments floating around the interwebs.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

ROFLMAO!!!! :roflmao:

This made me lol!