Who here works out?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Gym_Junky, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Gym_Junky Registered Member

Is anyone else here a fitness fanatic? I work out 6 times a week, I feel like shit if I haven't.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. amplified Guest

I've been working out 4-5 times a week since last June, and it's going great. When I started, my weight was about 156 pounds, and now I'm up to 182.

What's your stats bro?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I had a pretty good routine going for a few weeks, but I think that for some reason I couldn't go for four or five days, maybe I was just lazy (currently on vacation) but when I got back to the gym I could hardly stay on the stairmaster for ten minutes...

My bod hasn't changed at all yet

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not surprising, really...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Anyone here got info on plyometrics? I should work out more than just walking to work, but I'm lazy.

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

30--40 minutes on an exercise bike and 20--30 minutes pumping weights while lying on my back, 4--5 times a week. Makes me feel great and I shed pounds!

I also follow D'Addamo's blood-type diet and pop various vitamins and minerals with each main meal.

9. Gym_Junky Registered Member

5'6"
    145 lbs
    14 inch biceps

I run in the mornings and go to the gym after work.

And I'm a "sis", not a "bro".

10. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

*drool*

11. ImRatbastard Registered Member

I just joined a karate class. Twice a week for two hours each. I'm really enjoying it but I'm a major league wimp. Will be glad when I've bulked up some. The first night almost killed me as my idea of exercise is not using the remote and walking from the couch to the t.v. to change the channels.

12. Grey Seal Guest

if you want to bulk up just do compound exercises...stuff like bench, squat, deadlift..stuff like that that'll work a few muscle groups. do isolation exercises later on. also, if you want to build up endurance just jog. imo it's better than any stair machine/treadmill, puts a good amount of stress on the joints and toughens them up, but some people have knee/hip/back problems and i guess can't run...the weather is a factor too, but something is better than nothing...anything is better than sitting on your ass wishing you were in shape. to get your endurance up don't just give up when you get tired, keep pushing it. it's the only way you'll get anywhere. get a partner if you can, it's easier to stay motivated, you guys can motivate eachother...not necessary though. if in shape is what you want make exercising and eating right a part of your life and not just another 'chore' that you 'have' to do and don't really care about, get excited about it...just don't get too excited, burn out...and totally lose interest.

just stick with it, it may take a while, but it's well worth it. you'll get alot more attention too...you won't be just another faceless out of shape guy.

13. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

5"11, 185lbs of muscle

I go to the gym three times a week, doing H.I.T. workouts.

14. sycoindian myxomatosis> Registered Senior Member

three to four times a week... six times doin weights in a week doesnt give much rest to your muscles...

k.. i got a question... i have fairly good muscle on my arms, but my right arm is a bit more developed than my left... my left is weaker... any suggestions?

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

use loose weights...than you can't compensate with your good arm

16. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

my friends and i tried to work out 6 times a week. didn't work very well. we were some tired mofos.

I usually work out 3/4 times a week. you know, free weights mostly.
    when i first started almost 2 years ago i benched 95

and i made it up to reping at 165. but i haven't in a while so i'm probably down a little. I haven't worked out in a bit. i would say i'm at 70%, assuming 100% is the best shape i've ever been in.

6'2"
    (i actually lost a little bit of wieght from lifting.)
    14inch biceps? i think that's what they were when i checked.

17. Distortion melted down Registered Senior Member

I definitely don't go to a gym - but with all the Martial Arts I do, along with 3 football leagues in the summer, mountain biking, and whatever other sports I do I 'work out' quite a bit.

Personally I don't see the value in going to the gym - you can get just as good or an even better cardiovascular workout in many sports, and it's much more fun. As well, with all of the punching and stick fighting in Kali, it's a far better arms and wrists workout than you'd ever really get at the gym, and I'm learning practical fighting skills/knowledge at the same time and it's much more enjoyable.

Going to the gym isn't what I would consider a good use of time.

18. amplified Guest

Oh, you're pretty much like me. I'm 6"3' with 182 pounds of beef.

What's H.I.T?

19. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

i walk. i love walking...i walk in some of the local parks/quarries and down by the river.

20. amplified Guest

As much as I enjoyed practicing Tae Kwon Do, I can't agree with you at all. You want to explain how you get far better arms and wrists workout doing Kali?

21. spacemanspiff czar of things Registered Senior Member

some people enjoy working out as much as sports. working out with some budies can be a lot of fun.

22. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

While I agree that some place too much emphasis on going to the gym, I have to disagree with you on saying that it's a waste of time.

I work out with weights every other day, and do cardio in between(Mon-back,biceps:Tues-Cardio:Weds-chest,tris,legs:Thurs-Cardio). You can't gain nearly the amount of strentgh without weights, that you can with.

Just look at pro athletes for examples. The players of the 60's and 70's who didn't use weights, are inferior pyshically, as compared to player from the 80's and 90's who used weights.

23. amplified Guest

When you work with dumbells or cables, always start with your left arm. Do the same amount of reps with your right, even though you can do more. It will take a while, but in time your left arm will catch up.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2003