Who here works out?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Gym_Junky, Feb 19, 2003.

1. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

High Intensity Training

It's the kind of work-out that leaves you feeling sick when you're
    done training for the night. You do one set for each exercise, put
    a good weight on whatever it is you have to do (about 80% total
    strength 1RM) and do as many reps in good form as possible.

I'm working on the pectorals a lot right now... trying to fill them up
    on the upper-inner and lower-outer regions. Aside from that, t'sall
    good!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. amplified Guest

Tried high intensity a few months ago, but it didn't do much for me. How is it treating you?

Any pictures?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2003
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

Treating me good... but I'm working on the appearance now

No pictures... which reminds me that it's time I get some on here.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. amplified Guest

Yeah, definently. Maybe we should arrange a championship on Sciforums this summer, hehe. A little poll and pictures of the contenders, what do you think?

8. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The fittest I've ever been was in the navy of course. During basic training we weren't allowed to walk unless instructed to do so while marching in formation. Apart from that, we had to either be running, doing some form of exercise, sitting in class, working, or asleep. At the start of training, I did the 3.2km run in 14:47 (we had to do it under 15 minutes). At the end of basic I did the run, then went half way out and back in again, in under the 15 minute mark.

What really helped with my fitness training then was this chap Gary Williamson, a former prison guard who went straight into the special forces here after basic. He decided, without any request from me whatsoever, to become my personal trainer. For example I'd get in from the day's activities at 6 or 7 pm, and he'd pop in and say "Get up, we're going for a run". So in addition to getting up at 5am, and working until the instructors decided it was time to stop, I had a lot of extra-curricular exercise. Lots of running, lots of gymnasium work, lots of push-ups and sit-ups all day every day, for three months.

We did things like march alternating between at the slow and at the double, all day, carrying L1A1, canteen, and full pack, in combat boots. That gets you fit.

When I went on to branch training at HMAS Watson, the PTs there thought it was a good idea to have us run up and down the hill for an hour carrying the free weights from the gym. Now in my class, most of the others ran up a little way from the gym, then ducked in behind the accommodation blocks, then waited until I'd reached the top and come down again, and joined in the running again. I was the only one to do the entire trip, every time, for the full hour, in every session. It may have been very stupid, but it got me very fit and strong.

9. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

I'm up for it... let's see how many people we can gather!

10. Distortion melted down Registered Senior Member

LOL! This is prettymuch the worst comparison I've ever seen... ever!

Kali is so far away from Tae Kwon Do, it's not even funny. Having done both, I can make the comparison

Quite frankly, Tae Kwon Do guys might as well have their arms amputated for all the use them for - TKD is a kicking art

Kali, on the other hand is all arms almost - it's a weapons fighting art and most of the time is spent doing drills with sticks and basically swinging your arms around or back and forth and flicking your wrists. As well, tons of other weapons are included - knives, sticks, flexible weapons, et cetera - at higher levels this is extrapolated to bare hands. Basically, it's a better arms workout than you can probably imagine unless you've seen it.

Honestly, you get a far better workout because you work all the little muscles in your arm that you never knew existed till they hurt like crazy... and then some.

I didn't say it was a waste of time, I said it wasn't a good use of time

What I meant by that is that I can accomplish the same thing I would at the gym while learning and having fun at the same time - basically I can make much better use of the time.

So, although it isn't a waste, it's not exactly the best use, in my opinion. I'd rather accomplish more things at once.

If you want to find out more about Kali - here's a url: http://www.docepares.co.uk

11. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

the competion thing sounds good to me....go for it guys...and, then, let us women choose the winner. i wonder if there are other things, other than iron, to pump?:bugeye:

12. amplified Guest

Sorry, my bad man. Really bad comparison. Didn't look up Kali, and now that I have, it looks sweet. Hope you're not ready to decapitate me with one of the nasty blades.

http://www.cea.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ceaweb/dpweb/images/photos/dg-sh-kalis.jpg

argh!

13. Mike18ca Registered Member

6'3
    15.5 biceps

I follow a specific workout regiment

for the first month everyone should do an Anatomical Adaptation phase, which is using 50% of weight and doing 12 reps 3-4 sets for each exercise.

Next I did a max strength phase, now for those who know these principles I skipped the Hypertrophy phase because as a baseball pitcher that phase contradicts what I am trying to accomplish.

Max strength should be 2-3 months approx and have 6-8 exercises done at 85-95% of max.

I started at 185 now I am 195lbs and once I finished my max str phase I am doing functional exercises relating to pitching working on aggressive flexibility or isokinetic exercises. I stopped working my legs weight wise and started doing 3.5 miles on the hardest setting using those Universal bikes, intensity 1-40, I use 40.
    Then I run a 7 min mile.

Finally up here in Toronto Canada when the weather gets warmer I will start plyometric training to increase explosiveness.
    Plyometrics will focus mostly on legs so for upper body I will do swimming and long toss.

Depending on what you want to do you must have a plan and stick with it to get results.

This year i hope to move from an 82mph fastball to an 86-87mph.
    If I do that I might have a chance to make the Canadian Baseball League.

14. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

I visit the gym three times a week. A workout takes about two hours. Currently, it's comprised of:

Rotator cup warm-ups, 90lbs cable mach., 30lbs dumbell 15r/3s
    Incline bench half-situps w/ 45lb disk on chest, 15r/3s.
    Reclining dumbell press, 2x 65lbs, 8r/3s, vary angle at each set.
    Latisimus dorsi pulldowns, 230lbs, 10r/3s
    Calf extensions, 850lbs, 12r/3s
    Quadracep extensions, 260lbs, 12r/3s
    Preacher bicep curls, 95lbs, 8r/3s
    Standing row, 195lbs 10r/3s
    Hamstring curls, 80lbs (unsure of mech. multiplier), 15r/3s
    Tricep Dips w/ 60lbs dumbell on waist belt, 10r/3s
    Pullups 15r/3s

Followed by a 500 calorie expenditure running on horizontal treadmill at 8mph; the last few minutes at 10mph. This normally takes 29 minutes at a steady 140bpm heartrate.

I try to shake up the routine every 6 weeks or so. BTW, I've read that resistance weight training burns (in toto) 4 to 5 times more calories than the same time spent doing cardio. The tearing down of muscle tissue and subsequent replacement are supposed to keep your metabolism elevated for at least 12 hours. This makes some sense when you think that when you lift heavy weights you're actually tearing down the muscle. You only build muscle later while resting. In any case, when I come out of the gym I could eat a cardboard box!

In the summer I replace the treadmill with running across the top of the 4300' high mountain that I work and live on. The run across the rocks takes 34 minutes on a good day.

My present dimensions and specifications are: age 45, height 5' 10", weight 177 pounds, 14.5" biceps, 42.5" chest, 33 inch waist.

You certainly don't have to spend six hours in a sweaty gym each week to be healthy. Muscle mass above a certain level becomes a luxury (more likely, a vanity). Still, it's a relatively harmless vanity. Some guys enjoy owning an expensive sports car; I enjoy owning a lean body on which I've built a modest muscle mass. Every little activity in life simply feels better with a fit body.

Edit; Added 90lbs to my calf extensions.

Michael

Last edited: Mar 14, 2003
  15. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Gymnasium memberships are a rip-off, IMO. I have my own free weights and just mess around with them a bit (usually just bicep curls, 3 to 5 sets of 100 reps, 44 pounds each side), presses, stuff like that. And I go walking, do some sit-ups. That's about it.

16. yesemina Registered Senior Member

Exercise

Hi there. I have a treadmill in my room, and I'm a runner trying to train for future races to come. Consequently, I run 5 miles a day 6 days a week, and do weight training about 3-4 times a week (I just barely started doing weight training but I figured it'd be good to work different muscle groups).

17. spookz Banned Banned

oh! yesemina is here!

well i am buffed like a mofo! benchpress 300lbs and run 20 miles a day!

18. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You know they got a pisture thread in the site feedback forum?

19. Spector anti-nectar-reflector Registered Senior Member

Hey, I'm pretty new to weight training and I do have a few Q's that would be nice to have answered. I actually only remember one at the moment, lol. The rest will come to me at some point. Let's say one does... for example... bench pressing at a certain weight... 10 reps... 3 sets. Are you supposed to maintain that weight even through the last set? Because I find that I cannot do nearly as much weight on my set that I can manage on my first. Should I be lifting as much weight as I can manage on my last, or should I be decreasing that weight I use for each set, or at least for the last one. Also, how many sets are reccomended to be most beneficial. I only do 2 sets usually, and am wondering if I should up that?

20. sycoindian myxomatosis> Registered Senior Member

Spector

i do it in a different way.. it works well for me.. i normally take half the weight i bench and warm up with around 8 reps... and then i put a bit more and do the same.. and then i put the full amount n bench 8 reps/2 sets... and the last set i add some more weight and do 4-5 reps... i find that works real good for me.. it can be a bit tough doin full capacity from the word go... but this is just my way...

21. SwedishFish Conspirator Registered Senior Member

one summer when i was pretty bored and had nothing to do (the class i had planned to take was cancelled) i joined a gym and spent the summer working out every day for a few hours. it was pretty boring and repetitive but i was getting in pretty good shape so i thought i'd continue back at school at the end of the summer. i tried to but it never got any less boring. so now i go to yoga twice a week and as soon as the snow melts i'm going to break out my shiny new bike.

btw, yoga is an amazing workout. you use every muscle in your body and dirga pranayama breathing increases your lung capacity 8x. can't get more aerobic than that.

22. Tallguy That's the way it is... Registered Senior Member

I started working in a mill on a veneer greenchain about 8 months ago. The first 2 months I lost over 50 pounds, went from 235 to 180. I'm finally building up some muscle mass and I'm at 195. I'm 6'4", So I think I'm around my average weight. During the summer I usually lose another 5-10 pounds. This workout's doing great for me

23. rhetorician Registered Senior Member

Alright my biography, im a HS sophmore
    weight 215

height 5 11
    sports: former wrestler, current football shotput +disc in school, more obviously after school
    work out time 3-4 times a week in gym
    best bench 205
    best squat 335
    running: i usually do a summer workout thing for football but this year im going to start as soon as the snow melts in a week or so. reason, a group of girls at school i want to impress, not with running but i just thought i could lose a few pounds

Diet: i eat like crap. what ever , where ever. school lunch time= i usually get like 2-3 lunches with the same in milks along with cookies. my friends all say if i ate normal i'd be in awesome condition.

i never measured my biceps although i do donate a little time every once and a while to my "beach muscle" (biceps) and im building a nice little potatoe their, i don't see much point unless you are in professional pull up competition if there is such a thing.

still though gym junky you sound like you could kick me around a few times. i'd like to hear what else you can do.