Why are Americans obese?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by EmeraldAxe, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Omg....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

uke: (the burger)

It seems that tasty food aren't healthy or junk foods are tastier (than healthy foods).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. otheadp Banned Banned

1) There is so much food readily available and for cheap -- probably more than in any other country on earth.
    2) A lot of it is made of toxic waste (ok - hyperbole there, but it's not too far from the truth)
    3) Inactive life style:
    - Office work - we sit on our asses all day as opposed to working the fields
    - Computer games - kids increasingly get their after-school entertainment at home behind a desk / on the couch
    - Cheap cars - because cars are so affordable, more and more people have them, and use them, to go everywhere instead of biking, walking, etc.

Nowadays when somebody is fit it is more likely because they actively make an effort to, and not because of their natural life style. In 2nd/3rd world countries people are fit (or at least not obese) because their regular routines make them so. They don't need to go on a special diet or sign up to a fitness club.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Mexico may be 2nd in obesity, but their incidence of heart trouble is a lot lower

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

LOL! I always just shake my head at ones that I see drive around and around a parking lot looking for the closest parking space. It's not like this is a few, it's a lot of drivers that do this. I am always thinking what the issue is with walking a few more steps instead of being lazy and wasting gas and time.

You also have to look at American mentality. If you are walking or bicycling somewhere, then you are automatically assumed to be in a lower class and are poor.

8. EmeraldAxe Registered Senior Member

Brilliant. I hope you don't mind if I use this.

9. superstring01 Moderator

That last observation is interesting.

I tend to see it as lifestyle. The English culture, for all its gifts, has imbued us with an austerity that makes us think "we deserve it..." and "we want it NOW" which translates into bad eating habits for most of us.

Shit, I'm addicted to pancakes. I'm obsessed. I think about them all week. I allow myself to eat them ONE day (Fri, Sat or Sun... whichever) and I totally pig out. If I gave in to my baser instincts, I'd be as big as a house. And weighing 190lbs (6' though) right now, I really don't want to put on any more weight.

~String

10. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Because we eat large portions of fatty food and take the car to the corner store.

11. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

Shit, I'm addicted to pancakes. I'm obsessed.

stop...you're making me hungry.....guess i could ride my bike over to IHOP

12. jpappl Valued Senior Member

MMMM blueberry pancakes

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Also I bet car ownership and usage is bigger in the States then in Japan. Even if you use public transportation you still have to walk a lot. Not with a car...

Edit: USA 478, Japan 396 per 1000

14. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

We eat too much and more than 5 steps is too far to walk. So we drive.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

industrial white collar economy = sedimentary lifestyle

16. superstring01 Moderator

You mean sedentary, right?

~String

17. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Oh please the French and Italians have a much more refined sense of culinary delights and they aren't fat porkers. The average American finds eating crap pleasurable because they have forgotten the art of wholesome meals!

18. Nutter Shake it loose, baby! Registered Senior Member

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Or how about... the French are homosexuals with nothing better to do than act pretentious?

I don't give a shit about "culinary delights." And I don't eat like an "average American." My plates are quick and to the point... fuel with flavor.

20. Mercy Angel Registered Member

Not all Americans are obese... only those who eat too much and move around too little.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

took my daughter clothes shopping today. She was the only average weight child trying on clothes. All the other girls were flat out fat trying on XS clothing. You could see every roll and the dimple of their belly button. Their over weight moms stood there saying "oh that looks cute" I was aghast

22. elitist Banned Banned

Cultural evolution during the agricultural phase of the human species led to the introduction of many biological quirks that damage man.

Originally a grain diet led to the grinding down of human teeth due to the milling process and the traces of sand and grit in bread.

Then the introduction of sugar led to tooth decay by caries.

And now fast food has led to an obesity plague.

23. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

THE REAL ANSWER:

The food in Merica is FUCKING AWESOME and there's tons of it!!!

Also, desk jobs and GREAT TV don't help much.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011