Why are things in space the shape that they are?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, May 11, 2020.

1. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Exactly. Furthermore, in almost any given physical system, it will be found that it does NOT obey the mathematical model, i.e. the map, exactly. Only in the very simplest systems of all do we see exact correspondences.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

The territory is an expressed self-organized "pattern" of varying value densities.
    Human symbolic maths is the "translation" (map) of the Universal mathematical terrain of "relational values" and mathematical functions.

A physical territory is an observable "mountain'. A mathematical territory is a collection of molecular values arranged in the dense pattern of a mountain.
    A physical territory is an unobservable "atmoshpere". A mathematical territory is a collection of molecular values arranged in a transparent pattern of air.

Only the mathematics can theoretically yield the information contained in the physical patterns of "everything", physical or metaphysical.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Of course, we are talking about a constantly changing dynamical system. But that does not negate the "mathematical guiding equations" which determine how things self-assemble into growth patterns and change via evolutionary processes.
    It's all very mathematical, IMO.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Found something that piqued my interest;
    Human perception of shapes
    Platonic solids in my head?..............

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shape#Shape_analysis

My brain is a mathematical processor?.........

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Tis not.

Hmmmm seems we are getting somewhere ..the implication clearly that maths is a language and who do we associate with language..humans..put it all together..Maths is a human language...I knew you could do it.

But you can't say that...to use the term math is now denied to you...the language does not exist without humans.

Honestly where would we be if you treated DNA as just a maths thing?

Alex

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Sorry , I did not make myself clear.
    I was comparing the use of the term "physics" with the term "mathematics".
    They are both human terms and are subject to the same question if they truly describe the universe or not.

I was implying that the Universe doesn't know, nor care what humans do or say. We are talking what causes the consistency of certain natural self-formation of shapes in space and nature.
    I maintain that the process has it's foundation in the interaction of mathematically relational values by means of mathematical functions.
    NO... the symbolic language does not exist without humans. The mathematical processing of values and functions in the universe exist and continue regardless of human observation and interpretation or not.
    But it is exactly that both in construct (pattern) and in information (encoded values). Perhaps we might be able to understand the functiom of DNA better if we just concentrated on the mathematics. Consider that mitosis is a mathematical ciopying

Mathematics is the human term for a consistent and orderly guiding equation in the interchange of information (values), by means of mathematical (algebraic) functions (value a + value b = value c), i/e. --- 1 atomic value of H + 2 atomic values of O = 1 molecular value of H2O, or physical water, or ice, or gas, depending on the prevailing temperature values (human terms; Celsius, Fahrenheit, Kelvin), but of course the environment doesn't care what temperature scale humans use. It just use the relative value threshold inherent in the mathematical density patterns of H2O which result in what we experience as water, ice, or gas.

AFAIK, there is not flaw in the logic. I suspect it is just a matter of overcoming intellectual resistance of long standing convention.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I'm waiting for the thread

THE MATHEMATICS OF MICROTUBULES

Xelasnave.1947 and Write4U like this.
  11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Mitosis (copying itself) is a mathematical function.

Thanks, found an article. You know where to find it in Pseudo Science.

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Explain please

13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

There is an echo in here.
    Alex

14. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not a duck quack is it?

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Whatever,..... the point is that the mathematics don't go away with the human symbolisms.

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

If it looks like a duck, wlaks like aduck, quacks like a duck, its a mathematical pattern of a duck....

Michael 345 likes this.
  17. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

OK I have reduced you to exasperation but whatever is an addmission that whatever my point may be that you accept it..so all is good.
    Sorry I have been a little playful..I am more in agreement with you than not...you come over too passionate and that often invites folk to have a go..
    Alex

Write4U likes this.
  18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

........its a mathematical pattern of a duck with microtubules being the reason its quack does not echo

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No, it isn't. It's a natural process. The word even appears in the label.

That's ironic advice, coming from you. Does writing 1 + 1 = 2 make anything in the physical world? Try to do some compartmentalising.

That, right there, ought to tell you something.

The implication of what you're saying is that the physical universe would be no different without mathematics. I agree.

The term "value densities" is meaningless, as far as I can tell. I think you're just making this stuff up as you go along.

There's no way to make a physical mountain out of abstract values.

No. Mitosis is a physical process.

20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes it is. It is a natural mathematical process, translatable into human symbolic maths.
    Else who does the selecting? Nature? How does it do that? Like a farmer selecting a prize bull for breeding?
    That, IMO, smacks of religious beliefs.
    A natural probabilistic mathematical selection function, devoid of choice or preference seems logically the ideal "guiding equation", for all universal self-ordering dynamics.
    A logically orderly "essence" (potential) of the spacetime fabric itself. Natural selection is not just related to biological organisms, it applies to Everything. That's the quasi intelligent power of mathematics. It is a common identifier (denominator ) in and of ALL THINGS.

Where physics fail, mathematics guide the way.

The problem is that human informational language and human informational mathematics are always being substituted for natural information languages (values) and natural mathematical/physical processing dynamics.

A "value" is a mathematical excellence (a potential) inherent in all natural mathematical patterns, from the very subtle to gross expression in our reality.
    Gravity seems such a mathematical value, a universal excellence of dynamical potential, without which the universe might not exist at all.

If one admits to the universe having some mathematical properties and processing functions, then why the resistance to the concept of the universe having only mathematical properties and processing functions.
    Compartmentalized, 1 + 1 does...

? Would it make any difference to the mathematical relational values and the mathematically guided processing functions of the universe?

Plenty animals do just fine with their applied mathematics, even if they are completely oblivious to the fact.
    I'm sorry but that is not the intent of the statement. I hope I said that " the mathematical /physical universe would be no different without "human" mathematics or humans for that matter.
    The difference between a solid and a liquid is in the density of the molecular population, no?
    Water vapor, liquid water, solid ice, all have the exact same constituent values H2O. It is the molecular density distribution that yields the gaseous state, liquid state, or solid state. H2O has a variable "value" potential. The mathematically self-organizing patterns into three possible "physical" expressions (states) , but being identical in constituent number and molecular value.
    IMO, there is. But allow me to ask you what makes a physical mountain, without resorting to the mathematics of the descriptive values?
    Compartmentalization; Cell "division" and "duplication" are mathematical functions, no? How it happens is secondary.
    These fundamental functions must be mathematically permitted, or these functions would not, could not exist.....

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

No

Biological processes

We shrink wrap divide and duplicate over the PROCESS as DESCRIPTIONS of the PROCESS

NOT as DESCRIPTIONS of the FUNCTIONS

22. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

ALL fundamental ACTIONS must be PHYSICALLY possible or PHYSICS would not WORK

Write4U likes this.
  23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I agree...