Why atheism makes you mean

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Nov 21, 2008.

1. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Which is why we have hard, rough men with guns to keep us all in line!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Seems like the only way to get anything done is to castrate all these hard rough men. :bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hard, rough men don't seem to like that, SAM. Got a better idea?

And lest you forget, some of those hard, rough men protect you from other nasty hard, rough men who might harm you. "Hard, rough" does NOT mean "bad".

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The dog in the house keeps the wolf from the door? Thats an interesting ancient philosophy Baron, women live by themselves these days.

Also, it does not explain why atheism would engender any prosocial behaviour

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

We're getting way off topic. Communism was conceived after deism. I reiterate: Reciprocal altruism and sharing predate deific conceptualization. Couldn't stable levels of cooperation in large groups simply be a larger-scale extension of early, low-level social behaviour?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So why has no atheist society ever survived? Why does it need to revert to theism to continue?

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Er, why does it "need" to revert to theism to continue? How has this been proven, exactly?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Show me one athiest society that did not, for example.

Whenever I hear from people about how many more people are becoming atheist these days, I wonder if they even realise how many more athiests are becoming religious. Russia, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, the world is becoming more religious today, not less. Interestingly, the places where its becoming more atheist are on a downward spiral, and the places where they are leaving it behind...

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

SAM, I agree with your basic premise on this thread. But just because no atheist society has ever survived does NOT mean that one won't in the future.

Baron Max

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Sure, I'll wait for one to survive before deciding it will though. One could equally say, since one has never survived, what, besides faith, is your basis for stating it could?

And if such a society survived, would it be an individualistic isolationalist society or a communal cooperative one?

What do you think?

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

SAM, I don't think they could or would survive. But that's just my opinion, and apparently yours, but there's no proof for it. It's just educated opinion, that's all.

And in answer ....I think it would HAVE to be individualistic isolationism. A society of man can't, simply can't, be "cooperative" without force to make them conform.

Baron Max

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The other day, I was out with my friends and it started raining. We saw a church just ahead and ducked into it. It was a Sunday afternoon and we sat on the last row. It was quiet dimly lit church, very old and with stained glass windows and old style brownstone walls. There a was girl on the balcony at the top of the altar, going through her notes. As soon as we came in, we saw her pick up a violin and start playing. She played a bit from the Wedding March, something soft from Mozart and a violin concerto that I know but could not place. Some guy came in and started lighting the candles and put some notes on a lectern. A couple of other people walked in from the rain smiled at us and sat down. All of us were silent, none of us spoke a word, the violin player the only sound in the room. We left when a wedding party walked in. It was a peaceful moment and made us all feel very good just being there. I remember feeling the same way, when I was sitting in the Haram at Mecca, during Ramadan.

I think people underestimate the feelings of peace and harmony that religion brings. What equivalent is there for an athiest?

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

:roflmao:
    Hard rough men do not keep me in line.

Communism existed long before any religion.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You don't slow down when you see a cop's car? Not even a little?

18. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Replace the word church with building. All that could've & does happen in nonreligious settings & ambience.

No.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Name a building like that, that I can duck into when it rains.

Not the law abiding type?

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I'm confident you can do that for yourself.

WHY do you ask that???

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Your confidence is misplaced. en garde! Name a building immediately or name your seconds!

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

There's no religion in that story whatsoever. Sitting in a quiet spot has nothing to do with religion.

23. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I am glad you would. Not sure why we are in the subjunctive, but these momentary agreements, however hypothetical, should be celebrated.