Why can’t we vote by phone?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Beaconator, Dec 23, 2022.

1. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Warnings when our ID is used more than once… ability to have more than one person vote. Ease of voting.

I mean computers control it all anyways…

better than tally marks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

How would Republicans know which votes to count?

pjdude1219 and foghorn like this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. foghorn Valued Senior Member

''Why can’t we vote by phone?''
    Trump did use the phone and tried to get 11,780 votes for himself in Georgia. Trump to Raffensperger call remember.

So, you're saying Trump should have phoned the computer to get those 11,780 votes?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Not secure; all mobile phones are espionage platforms, and this likely will not change sufficiently to ensure ballot security and voter privacy. Moreover, this is the one thing we can do to socialize and standardize mobile communications devices as part of a utility, and also a functional human right of access. And while I'm okay with that part, I still don't think it's a good voting platform unless we are prepared to revoke the secret ballot.

So, consider the range of interests, such as libertarian individuals or corporate priorities, and anyone is welcome to explain how we might convince these individuals that government-approved software on government-approved devices with unique identifiers corresponding to people will assure, with legal culpability attached to such claims, that their votes are securely communicated without being spied on.

That is, anyone is welcome to explain how we convince the communications executives and shareholders. And the software executives and shareholders. And the hardware manufacturers, as the overall device will be closely regulated, and its RISC imposed. Nor does any of that yet account for software workers expected to program within the new framework. And that's before we account for other workers. And, sure the waitstaff, car sellers, and nurses, &c., are all important, too, but if we take a moment to think about the people we know in IT, and how many of them will think I'm describing dystopian evil, that's kind of the point.

The things that need to happen for voting by phone are not the sorts of things that, for instance, Americans, have been historically inclined to accept without pitching unholy fits and being browbeaten generationally into compliance.

8. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

I don’t believe some of what you’re saying. It might not be secure to send my social security number by text or app into the internet at any point. Yet having bots pick the remaining social security numbers can only lead back to felons and dead people. Not that the felons voted.

9. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

No I’m just saying the internet is an open place already.

10. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Norton could make a new online system where voters need to register online before voting. Snap a photo of yourself and without any questions you can vote that year as long as you’re qualified.

eg. not an unreformed felon. Hell have the whole world vote for any elected leader.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

That has nothing to do with Google or Apple seeing your vote. Google, at least, acknowledges that they do not intend to stop spying on their customers. Apple, for its part, pretends to be better about what information it collects and closely guards.

Uh-huh. That'll work.

And Norton, no less.