Why cannot we have a rational debate about Holocaust issues?

Discussion in 'History' started by River Ape, May 1, 2007.

1. River Ape Valued Senior Member

Why has the “How can people deny the holocaust?” thread been locked? Would it not be wiser to suspend or ban those who misuse this forum?
    Wouldn’t it be nice if we could discuss historical evidence like well-mannered intelligent people?

The cyanide compound (with iron) produced in the mortar of rooms in which Zyklon B has been used is remarkably stable. If you doubt this, consult someone with a degree in chemistry. Instead of calling Leuchter a moron, why not spell out exactly where you think he was in error?

Then set about explaining how the Krakow Forensic Institute subsequently confirmed Leuchter’s findings in an official report. You can find this report on the IHR website. Instead of telling me that the IHR is anti-Semitic and therefore may be dismissed with contempt, why not tell me what flaws you can find in the report, or why its findings are suspect? Or perhaps you think the Institute never produced such a report, and the IHR made it all up, or misrepresented it?

Interestingly, Leuchter wrote: “After a study of . . . the existing facilities at Auschwitz, Birkenau, and Majdanek . . . the author finds no evidence that any of the facilities normally alleged to be execution gas chambers were ever used as such, and finds, further, that because of the design and fabrication of these facilities, they could not have been utilized for execution gas chambers.” The italics are mine. Leuchter has been called a “Holocaust denier”, but note how cautiously he reported his findings. He did not conduct his researches under ideal conditions, but from the first he always called for tests to be repeated independently. He expressed no general view about the murder of Jews.

Discussion of the Holocaust will not go away because there have been too many misrepresentations and false stories. The idea that we say to the Jews: “you have suffered terribly . . . you are excused from telling the truth” is not one that appeals to me.

No one with nothing to hide has any reason to fear the spotlight afforded by reasoned discourse.

There are still far too many World War II secrets; too many closed files that are not due to be opened for decades more. Official Secrets are as pernicious as the laws (in so many European countries) against so-called Holocaust deniers. What is there still to be found out about Rudolf Hess; about Kurt Maass; about Jean Moulin?

Am I alone in my anger against those who would hide the truth?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

River Ape:

As a signal of your own good will and unbiased nature, please find at least one article that disputes Leuchter's work. Post the link here.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

James R
    Did you even look at spidergoat's citation? I don't think after this River Ape needs to do a thing.

http://www.nizkor.org/faqs/leuchter/

Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Thank you, sir!

9. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

It is the same as having a debate about the moon landing; while it may be debated for sport by those who feel like arguing with woo woos, there really is no "other side". It happened, there is extensive documentary evidence, extensive eyewitness testimony, by survivors, guards, invading forces...

10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

spidergoat

When your right, I will point it out, and on this you have the best information in rebuttal of the deniers that I have seen, I spent a couple of hours of reading time, well documented, and good citation.

11. River Ape Valued Senior Member

But this statement is nonsense even according to the Nizkor link you have given!

Your link to "Mr Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr." does not seem very useful.

The Nizkor website quotes the testimony of Hoess. Do you regard Hoess as a reliable source?

There are repeated references to Pressac. Do you endorse Pressac's critique of the Leuchter report?

Do you support the claim that, re Auschwitz, that "In addition, bodies were also burned in massive pits" ?

May I invite you to look at the "The Truth Behind the Gates of Auschwitz" videos on youtube? Do you have any comments?

Last edited: May 4, 2007
  12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Quite frankly the "holocaust" is just one of many. It was a big one yes, not as specific as jews might say it was and it's a big deal only because the Germans were able to be punished for it.