Why can't I edit my posts?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Futilitist, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

Suddenly, I can no longer edit my posts. Why? This makes it impossible to work around the moderator approval "bug". Am I being punished for finding a workaround?

On top of that is a new "bug" that tells me that my post is too short when I first try to post it. When this occurs, the contents of my post would be lost, but for my well ingrained habit of putting it in the buffer before I hit the post button. BTW, this same bug has also just begun occurring on another science discussion site. Strange.

Also, while we are at it, why am I logged out every five minutes or so?

All of these impediments to posting make your site very frustrating and hard to use. If I didn't know better, I might think all this was intentional.

---Futilitist

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Yeah, it must all be a conspiracy to keep you down.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

I did not say it was a conspiracy. I said, "If I didn't know better, I might think all this was intentional." Of course I know there are no conspiracies here. It is just a real hassel, that's all. You guys have some serious technical and administrative issues.

BTW, do you have any pull around here? It has been about 8 hours and I have yet to hear from a moderator about this. I even flagged one of my own posts to let the mods know that there was an issue. How long do you figure this could take? I worked hard on an post and I would like to post it today. This is a discussion forum. How can I carry on a discussion if I can't post?

---Futilitist

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

OK. I should have checked the thread before I replied to you here. The cue has been cleared onto the thread, meaning all of my attempted workarounds are now posted, creating a very confusing mess. When I flagged my own post to let the mods know about the situation, I asked them specifically not to just clear the entire cue onto the thread, but it happened anyway.

And I still don't have an edit button. Do you have a theory as to how I might have lost my edit button?

---Futilitist

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Edit Window

How old is the post in question? The edit window used to be forty-eight hours.

As a supermod, though, my edit permissions are permanent, so I never run into this problem, except when I'm editing an embarrassing typo in my own posts; then, I have to calculate from the original timestamp, and if it's past forty-eight hours, I really shouldn't change the post.

But I'm not certain if that window has changed for regular members since the software update. It would appear there is still an edit window (see "How to delete posts?") but I am uncertain if the edit period has changed, or if we're finding another bug in the software.

9. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

The best advise on the mod queued posts is to just exercise a little patience. It will show up before long, and you will not have littered a thread with duplicates. My posts are queued fairly regularly, but I trust the mods with clear the queue in good time.

10. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

This problem is not because of the edit window. I can't edit any posts at all, even brand new ones. My posting permissions have been changed. Here is what it says in my posting permissions at the bottom of the screen:

11. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

My post to you just went into moderation!

Tiassa,

I just made a post to you here to explain that the problem is not with the edit window, and it has just gone into moderation. This is getting surreal.

---Futilitist

12. Futilitist This so called forum is a fraud... Registered Senior Member

Tiassa,

So, like I just said, the problem is not with the edit window. I can't edit any posts, even new ones, because my posting permissions have been changed. This just happened today.