Why do French people suck so much?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by w1z4rd, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Apparently, there are no French posters here... Would have been interesting to hear their opinions....

No Polish posters either....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Myles Registered Senior Member

Bon appetit ! Je les aime aussi.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

No. Stop is not French at all.
    Why should they use the word Stop at all, unless French people are using the word.
    Every language has it's own word for stop, and they should use their own word.

In English we will use any newly coined international word, of any language, so long as it is being significantly used in the UK. If we use a new word, it is usually a word for a new thing or concept. It then becomes English. Though in a definition we will route it to it's cause. That's why English is an international language. It's a Sponge.

This French attitude will eventually result in unusability of the French language internationally. Obstinacy.

It is a more beautiful language than English though, so perhaps it is an understandable obstinacy.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CharonZ Registered Senior Member

I think in whole Europe French are considered to be arrogant, especially the Parisians. And talking to them in English counts as a personal insult. But on the other hand, I never noticed it when I was there. I have been only a few weeks there for conferences in southern France and the people (including, to my surprise, all waiters except one) were extremely friendly. And the food does compensate for a lot. Even the lunch at the conference hall (which usually are just yucky) were great and served with a delicious Merlot.

8. Myles Registered Senior Member

The French are superior. I smell the politics of envy.

9. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

I've been to Paris several times and loved it every time. It is probably my favorite city (still lots of place I'd like to go however!). The people there are not rude or assholes. They are honest. No false smiles, no fake pleasantries. They leave you to yourself and I, for one, love that. As an American, its a welcome change.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

My hairy ass. They aren't called international signs for nothing. In how many languages the word hospital start with an H? Not many, nevertheless a white H on blue background is the international sign for hospital. It really doesn't matter what it is as long as every country standardize it and recognize it. It could be a nurse in a house or whatever but an H is simpler...

11. tim840 Registered Senior Member

In 1849, the California Gold Rush began when gold was discovered at John Sutter's Mill near Sacramento. So-called "49ers" hurried to California, most to get some gold for themselves, others to take advantage of the huge market. One of these was Levi Strauss, who had come to California to sell canvas for tents. He discovered, however, that the miners were in need of tough pants, and he began to make pants out of his canvas. When he ran out, he imported denim from France. But Strauss was the one who had the idea to make pants of the material, not the French.

12. Myles Registered Senior Member

It's a question of which came first, the material or the pants. ? Are you suggesting that the French had no use for the cloth they manufactured so had to wait for an American to show the way ?

13. phlogistician Banned Banned

Except the term 'Jeans' is a corruption of the place 'Genoa' where Denim trousers were made long before Levi Strauss sold them. Jeans are not an American invention. They have been adapted and popularised by the USA, but they were not invented there.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

hey here is a historical reason why the French are grumpy about the Americans:

"without the huge assistance of France, the Colonies would not have won the war. France played an important role in the two decisive victories, Saratoga and Yorktown. At Saratoga they had smuggled in the weapons the Americans used. At Yorktown, the final battle, the French were completely responsible for the victory and for even committing to the battle. Washington had wanted instead to attack New York – which would have been a disaster – but the French generals then assisting recognized a unique opportunity at Yorktown.

After the war, the United States never paid the huge French loans back. Some gratitude."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

15. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

WW1

"Ve are de French! Ve ate you Americanz!"
    "merde! Germans! we love you Americanz!"

rinse.. repeat

WW2

"Ve are de French! Ve ate you Americanz!"
    "merde! Germans! we love you Americanz!"

16. Myles Registered Senior Member

I believe denim meant "de Nimes." Sorry about the missing accent.

17. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

Le lol:bravo:

18. tim840 Registered Senior Member

OK, so they weren't invented in America. But (and I'm sure you know this) they were invented in Italy, not France. So you haven't done anything for the French.

19. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Welsh.

we have road signs in both welsh and english here in wales - by law - to the point of absurdity - as welsh is a relatively ancient language - and in fact nearly died out entirely until a revival fairly recently - has few/no modern words in its vocabulary, so they replace them with the modern english word but with celtic style spelling - so the road sign to the local football/rugby stadium reads Stadium - Stadiwm - - like wise all taxis are labelled tacsis I'm not welsh, but I'm all for a bit of welsh pride, but what the fuck is the point in that? as if some native welsh speaker is going to have trouble getting a cab to a football match unless the signs are spelt everso slightly differently.

20. tim840 Registered Senior Member

The reason America never paid back her debts to the French government is that the French government ceased to exist in 1789. The old government (the one to whom America was indebted) was overthrown by the French revolutionaries, to whom America owed nothing. Why pay someone for womething you don't owe them? The French monarchy that supported the American revolution was opposed by the French revolutionaries, and so why should the revolutionaries assume the debts of their predecessors? That makes no sense. If you owed a guy money and the guy was murdered, you wouldn't pay off your debts to the murderer. So I don't see anything wrong with America's conduct regarding her French debt.

21. Carcano Valued Senior Member

The French are still experiencing the afterglow of producing the western world's finest art during two centuries of its history.

22. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You might want to read up on international law, as an example Iraq would be good. Iraqi debt before and after Saddam. Didn't make a damn difference...

23. Pinocchio's Hoof Pay the Devil, or else.......£ Registered Senior Member

vive la france le roi's de la monde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.