why do my armpits smell different?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by sculptor, Jan 14, 2021.

1. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Why does the sweat under my left armpit have a sharper smell than the sweat under my right armpit?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You've got it backwards. Your left nostril is more sensitive than your right.

Michael 345, exchemist and sculptor like this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Let me get this straight...are you saying your Left doesn't smell Right...or that your Left smells more Right?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

right
    wrong
    ?
    just different

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Sculptor has bilateral diaphoretic asymmetry.

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

NO
    There does not seem to be a difference in the amount of sweat, just in the odor.

I am reasonably certain that this has to do with a difference in the microbes living on the skin
    beyond that
    I am clueless.

10. QuarkHead Remedial Math Student Valued Senior Member

Related but irrelevant comment. Years ago when I was a genetics student, our professor started a class experiment based on the everyday observation that after eating asparagus, some people smell it in their urine while others don't. Question: is the way they metabolize asparagus the genetic determinant, or is the determinant different smell receptors?

The obvious experiment: eat asparagus, smell your urine than exchange urine samples and see the result. A clever set-up but one that caused a class-room rebellion.

Unsurprisingly, of course. (Science falls to social niceties once again!)

sculptor likes this.
  11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The asymmetry in the diaphoresis is not the in quantity but in the olfactory emanation.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Which would imply that Sculptor is a genetic chimera.

13. sculptor Valued Senior Member

or.....................................

14. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This reminds me of one of my all-time favourite jokes:

15. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Has anyone noticed a pattern in Sculptor's questions lately? I'm detecting symptoms of cabin fever.

16. sculptor Valued Senior Member

I'll bite
    pattern?
    WHY?
    Why do you think that?

(probably difficult to see a pattern when you are in the middle of it?)

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Maybe there isn't one. It's just an impression; maybe I'm imagining it. Look back over the past month and see whether you discern a suggestion of extreme boredom. Your own perception is all that really matters.

18. sculptor Valued Senior Member

as previously stated its difficult to see a pattern when you are in the middle of it

19. Traverse Registered Member

I'm just new to this website (joined-up today), but I'll risk posting my first response on here here [any fans on here of Gertrude Stein's brilliant literary invention of repetition?].

The great thing about Science is that in 'doing it' one starts out with the simplest explanation first; reaching it by working from First Principles & going forwards from there. So, does Sculptor have a significant difference in physical & chemical microenvironments (humidity, dioxygen level, temperature, saltiness, etc.) between his two pits, perhaps occasioned by his job-type (or hobby) leading to the preferential & regular squeezing of one armpit more than the other? Skin microbiota populations & cell densities & proteomes (e.g., respecting catabolic processes in particular) can easily be affected by tiny differences in local parameters.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021