Why do we need eachother?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by thecurly1, Oct 12, 2001.

1. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Is there a need for love between two people in the world, other than the simple role of procreation?

That simple, tell me what you think.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

thecurly1 ...

What does procreation have to do with it if they are the same sex?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. machaon Registered Senior Member

Not to over simplify...

Any organism can behave, ultimately, only in one of two ways. That is behavior that is adaptive or maladaptive. Is love adaptive behavior? If so, then I would venture to say that it serves only as a means to procreate. If that were not the case, then our DNA would have either succumbed to extinction, or built a better machine that did act in an adaptive manner within its environment. Does that lessen the cultural idea of love? No. it merely outlines the fact that we were BUILT to love. And love we should. To not do so not only deprives one of innate pleasure and happiness. It also deprives one of their own identity as a servant to nature. All life on this planet, that we know of, starts and ends as a function of DNA. We, so to speak, are all on the same team. Anything in the environment that would discourage a person to love, is an environmental pressure that ultimately decides whether a person is genetically fit to reproduce. Love is a natural and inescapable aspect of being human. To not love is to engage in maladaptive behavior. And we all know what happens to organisms that exhibit maladaptive behavior.....

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

Sorry Chagur, I didn't mean to make this strictly heterosexual. Let's try to avoid either homo or hetero viewpoints in this forum.

8. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

That being the case ...

I guess I'd say that the need for another in one's life isn't so much a need for 'love' in the romantic sense as it is a need to share one's life experience with another ... to allay a feeling of aloneness, particularly when experiencing something that really moves you.

I think we've all had the experience of viewing a particularly beautiful sunrise, or sunset, and wishing that a particular person was with us to share it.

9. chiomolugma Registered Member

Yes there is a need. We need eachother because one person often finds that as they grow as a human being they can become more complete.

10. SeekerOfTruth Unemployed, but Looking Registered Senior Member

But the question becomes, "is this feeling of needing to share a factor that arose out of our evolution?"

You have to admit that two people are potentially much better at surviving than one (depending on the two people's interactions of course

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

). So does this mean that "love" or the need to share our existence with someone else is actually just an evolutionary change that was created just to ensure our survival as a species?

11. Ana Registered Senior Member

okay DNA yadda yadda BUT...

is LOVE a taught behavior or innate? Babies DIE if they aren't nurtured (I won't EVEN get into the ethics part of that DAMNED experiment). There is a need for love between people....not just for the act of procreation but for the events that lead to procreation. Love is essential for normal development and for older individuals to remain SANE and want to keep on living....

Yeah, it is ultimately meant for the "survival of the species" purpose I suppose, because if we weren't to develop normally or remain sane and want to keep on living, we wouldn't be around long enough to procreate or even attract mates in order to procreate, right? In the "normal" sense of the events that lead to procreation....not referring to rape or artificial insemination or etc.

12. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Love is the greates 'power' that has to keep the human race going.

Without the existance of Love, humans shall get rather lonely and feel that way so strong and intense that they slowly drift away from making contacts with other humans.

Then they become harse and bitter and never find Love any more because they close themselves down for the feelings of Love.

Without Love the human race cannot exist, humans need eachother, in any way. They need to share their lives with others and hopefully that is in the way of feeling Love towards one another.

This has nothing to do with DNA it is a feeling you are born with, as a newborn baby.
    Babies who don't get Love from their parents will have very mixed emotions in their later lifes and go look for it, because every human NEEDS Love.

It is just the way humans come into this life as babies, Love is an Inner feeling that is within every human. Only if they get not enough attention or have been very hurt by other humans, they close themselves for then they think it is better to live this lifetime on their own.

Very sad the human race has become this way for there are a lot of real lonely humans nowadays. And they become bitter and sour because of their own lonileness and not knowing how to break loose from their own closure. When they try to make contact then, they always say it in a way that sounds not nice to other humans, because they lost the ability to communicate in a normal way. For they live in their own dark little lonely circle and there is no one to help them out from there.

All we have to do is make sure we keep talking...

Wish humans should have a little more understanding, patience and reaspect for one another.
    It sure would make a difference....

13. Neb Registered Senior Member

All you need is love

If I was the richest, smartest person alive and I had heaps of friends that all were great fun my life still wouldn't be fullfilled.
    If i'm in love with someone and they are in turn in love with me then, I don't need to be rich, or smart because i'm truly happy when i'm in love.
    I don't believe its to do with procreation or DNA or anything of the sort, when people are in love they reproduce because nothing could cement their love for each other more than sharing in the creation of another life.
    I still believe in the power of love, my parents are living testament to what can be achieved when two people love each other.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Ok Neb, that is the way humans should behave.

Nothing more fulfilling then to be loved by other humans and the love between two humans who want to spend the rest of their lifetime together...

You really got the point, I am so happy to hear that.

And it has really nothing to do with DNA, just Inner feelings, the most precious gift we have got: LOVE...