Why does blue light not travel through water?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Mogwell, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Mogwell Registered Member

I recently undertook a biology experiment to determine the effects of light wavelength on the photosynthesis of pond weed (Elodea canadensis). As i understood the various photosynthesis pigments, i thought that blue and red light would offer the best conditions for photosynthesis. Red light did offer the best conditions, but blue light offered had absolutely no photosynthesising effects on the Elodea.

This leads me to believe that blue light cannot travel through wather. any reasons why? i am stumped and i cannot find any materials to help me. THankyou

MOG

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

I posted a reply on the physics and math forum.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cureus Registered Member

I would say based on my understanding of the electromagnetic spectrum, that the structure of the water reflects the blue wavelength, the Elodea's chlorophyll reflects the green light wavelength so your left with yellow and red to be the most productive wavelengths for your plant.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

*Edit*

Fuck me, that's not the answer. It's because blue light is more easily scattered (because of its short wavelength) by the water molecules than other colours, thus the blue light "bounces off". Making the water look blue.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2002
  8. Binary Registered Senior Member

Also look up "light refraction". I'm sure they're many good articles on how it works.

9. Welkin Registered Member

Hmm, that's strange...

Since violet has a shorter wavelength than blue light, why isn't water purple?

Mmm... purple water...

And if water is purple, would that make red grapes blue? Then they'd have to call them yellow grapes (Because red grapes are more purple than red, but they call them red anyway, stupid farmer fruit-namers. Same with birds. They name birds wrong too. Like the 3-toed woodpecker. It has 6 toes! If it had 3 toes, it would walk funny because it would have 2 toes on one foot, and 1 on the other. Or maybe all 3 toes on one foot, and a wooden peg for the other leg. And it would wear an eyepatch and a funny black hat with the crossbones thingie on it, and say "aharr maties" and say bootie instead of treasure, but then that would be a parrot, not a woodpecker. Of course, it could be a wood-pecking parrot. Maybe the parrot food is inside a sealed chest, and the parrot is really hungry, so it just pecks through the chest. But birds are stupid. If the parrot really wanted it, it would learn how to lockpick off the internet, or maybe order some C4. I think if you use just a little bit of C4, it won't blow up the bird seed.) But I'm getting off the subject. I don't see why the water wouldn't be purple, since purple is so much more betterer than blue. (more betterer is cool).

P.S. (that stands for Post Scriptum, yay!) the wood-pecking parrot with C4 and lockpicking skills says hi.

10. cureus Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2002
  11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Yeah whatever, I was drunk. And blue light, er, fuck, I've forgotten the word now.

12. cureus Registered Member

understandable...no beef

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!