Why don't amorphous they ....?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Michael 345, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Why don't they - make a phone / tablet which just loads your start screen completely, without a requirement to slide your finger, sometimes in a definite direction?

Why don't they shut down the phone / tablet without said devices asking Are you sure?

If there is unsaved work let the device remind you of that, otherwise shut down

And the short animation as device is starting. I KNOW I bought a, .........fill in brand........At least give us Minions a choice of about 20 animations to pick from (or eliminate perhaps)

Thought bubble, ask for animations to be sent in. Prizes for creative / themed with wallpaper / children types

Any other Why Don't They thoughts?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i wonder if this is their stop-gap hold-all to try & stave off bugs that may cause liability
    so they leave this in to protect them legally.

i have worked in customer service most of my life in one form or another & there is always a consistent % of people through their natural tendency or through illness or emotional distress who
    seek to blame a product or service for their own mistakes which directly impacts profit margins by way of costing to amend & refund & compensate financially & with products & services
    additionally
    a small minority who do this will take lead from a soft response & double down on their drama & claim emotional damage when they are in fact a psyche patient with emotional problems(additive toxic relationship type people).

i like android because i like to mix n match & like speed & simplicity of technology
    i am put off by solid state concept computing where software is locked in to demand me make profiles & demand me to give personal details simply to operate something i have already purchased.
    it makes me mad as hell
    once i buy something i should not be demanded to give more personal details or load in profiles just to get it to work.

there should be android USB-Stick like profile chips which you can load all your cell phone to & then simply plug it in to your new phone & install all your contacts & pictures & files & authority software apps etc
    its super easy computing
    but they are playing the game of half way between no where to cover their own ass as they exploit profit by forcing customer compliance to give more free high value information & to force the customer to spend money only in their own store which owns the cell phone or its branded rights brand.

keep in mind i have worked for some very high profile big international brand companys with massive levels of compliance
    studying sales & service for many years & untold countless hours of compliance study & testing examination auditing & scrutinization
    right down to expressions & temperament

i worked for the best where 5 star service was the compulsory bottom line

so i am well aware of the market model to demand the need to lock in customers for life or long term to secure income streams
    tomato / ta mae toe
    ... ...

makes me mad as hell
    more soo when i see the internet service provider companies exploiting this to make even more profit & apply even more force & less options to the customer

keeping in mind
    im not a fan of door to door sales of carrier swapping sales culture
    i think that needs regulation because if there is that much room to move & maintain all those different companies competing for the same market share
    then there is massive price gouging going on
    for sure
    no doubt

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Three here Australia Telstra Optus Vodafone and heaps of resellers who piggy back into the network they resell for

I have started to like 365 day plans which I saw had lots of data. Make a single payment and good for year. The one I went for was at half price and used a OK carrier (for me that means NOT Vodafone - bad experience with them. Took to Telecommunications Ombudsman to get sorted)

Anyway found I was going through more data than I had estimated I would downloading movies so I topped up with another reseller who had a special offer lasting a month and was using same provider as my year reseller. Data per GB little bit more but not outrageous. This number went into backup phone which I used as hotspot

Then my first reseller comes out with another 365 day plan. Same as my discounted plan, just not as much discount but still OK value

Here it gets a bit weird. The carrier, same on both resellers put out out a "construct your own plan". OK told them I wanted this much data for this long at this price

Little bit more than my resellers second discount but not as much as my resellers first discount. Nope no deal so I bought the deal my reseller put out

Now when I activated my resellers second sim the option came up new number or port current number. I went for port giving me two numbers with same reseller

My main number had about 7 years and super easy to remember. Second number not worried about. Strange though with this port I took a number from my second reseller using the same provider as first and in porting to my first reseller I in effect took from a higher priced reseller to a lower priced reseller who was using same provider. If provider had taken up my plan they would have got one of their numbers back

Now I have two 365 day plans, main number finishing about a month before second although I am certain I will have resigned it to another 365 day plan before that happens

The new plan I still use as hotspot keeping data on main number down to very low usage

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

It's a safety so sticking it in a bag doesn't turn it on and kill the battery.
    So you don't pick it up off the table to sit down with it on the couch - only to find it turned off.
    It's a time filler to give the OS time to boot.

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

How about three finger taps at designated spot on screen? Sliding finger dirties up screen
    Until they had apps which performed same functions as holding on / switch for 3 seconds don't think that would happen
    I know that. Make the time filler bit more interesting with at least 20 choices. Seem to be getting duller

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the link

Got someway into reading when article mentions getting into the root functions of the phone

I know my limitations and messing with the root functions of a phone for me is like a swim across the Atlantic

Not going to happen

Anyway most days lately my 3 or 4 phones never get switched off. Tomorrow 18th Jan I should pick up my 2nd 5G phone. That one and the one I have now will become my main Australian phone and backup Australian phone which doubles as my first Bali phone

The other 4G phones all in good working condition will be given to Bali girlfriends upgrading their current phones. Most of which I provided about 2 or 3 years ago

11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Another Why don't amorphous they ....? from me

Decided to start using a Post Office parcel locker. Free to use so why not

Was going to use it for something I was going to buy on line

Forgot the address to put in the sellers order form, if I wanted the parcel to be delivered to the locker. The Post Office sends out sms to let you know parcel is in locker and code to open locker. SWEET

Logged into Post Office app to request my locker number as in
    "What is my parcel locker address?"

Expecting answer somewhat like below

"Your parcel locker address is ......."

What do I get?

Over 300 replies deemed to be a relevant

At that moment the wet nose Post Office puppy dog (seems all corporations have them panting at you am I /did I do good?) survey box pops up

Below is what I sent

If if if I ASK A SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE QUESTION I EXPECT A VERY SIMPLE SIMPLE ANSWER

EXAMPLE IF I ASK WHAT IS MY PARCEL LOCKER ADDRESS I EXPECT A SINGLE ANSWER

"YOUR PARCEL LOCKER ADDRESS IS ......."
    NOT OVER 300 BLOOD REPLYS

ANYBODY OUT THERE UNDERSTAND

SIMPLE QUESTION

SIMPLE ANSWER

THANK YOU

IF YOU HAVE A ANSWER PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE EMAIL IT TO ME

THANK YOU

Need a few cups of coffee to replace steam lost from ears

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Answering my own question

Found answer from another source

Apparently Australia Post Office where Parcel Lockers are available have a Generic Locker Number and you add your name to the Generic number

The locker itself is divided into sub lockers, various sizes

Your parcel is put in sub locker and code to unlock sent to you

All sweet now

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Why don't amorphous decide what a number is

Specifically a credit card number

Some internet forms make it easy. Give you 4 nice, others just a line

Fill out the credit card number in credit card number format

Rejected - the number should only carry numbers. Didn't like the spaces

So now put all 16 numbers in, no spaces. Form OK with that. Other forms want the spaces

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

My apartment building has one of those. If you receive a parcel that won't fit in your mailbox, they put it in one of the sub-lockers instead and put the key in your mailbox.
    Same with phone numbers. Why don't "they" use a simple algorithm to remove spaces, dashes, etc.?

15. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Speaking of phone numbers

Seems like my phone has taken upon itself to fill out some information in certain form boxes, one of those being phone number

Did this on a recent form asking for phone number. The form had small box followed by a long box, indicating form required international version. The auto fill put international version

Rejected with a note underneath the long box
    "Number should have 10 digits"

I had to insert the missing leading zero

Form ASKED
    • for international version
    • was given international version
    • was rejected because I had not provided local version

sideshowbob likes this.
  16. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Because an active desktop ready for input can be problematic for a device many people carry in their pocket

To prevent you from shutting your device down by accidently pushing the button while the device is in your pocket

Possibly because the OS is still loading and hasn't had a chance to process a config file yet.

17. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Sounds reasonable for a phone

Not so much about not pocket sized 7 to 12 inch tablet

My two current phones have recessed buttons which can be a tiny bit hard to deliberately press

If it can start an animation it can pick a random animation from a list of 20

18. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

More about phone calls

Trying to get COVID-19 tested, the one which needs to be negative before you board a aircraft

Called local clinic to make an appointment. At least they had a explanation note saying normal appointments do not do COVID-19 test and another number to call for such test

Called

Oh we don't do boarding aircraft test
    Gave me another number

Called, no answer each time. Didn't want to bother previous number again

Decided to look up Reverse Phone number Directory to see who the owned the land line

Apparently no one. The kicker, each Reverse Lookup then asked me to help them improve their site

OK I am willing to help

First question - WHO CALLED YOU FROM THIS NUMBER?

SAY AGAIN???? If I know who called me (in fact I was calling them but getting no response but thought if I knew who owned the land line I could look up that company and see if company had other numbers I could call for assistances)

Seems each Reverse Lookup only deals with calls coming to you with no provision for a caller calling from a phantom number to find out who owns it

Decided not to bother. Get boarding test done at airport

and pay there / them

19. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

When I first got the Internet (from my local phone company), I had a minor problem with my email, so I sent an email (obviously it was not a major problem) to the phone company's help desk. They sent me back an email telling me not to email them, to call them on the phone instead. My first question was, "Why am I paying for email if I'm not allowed to email you?" And my second question was, "Why do you have an email address if I'm not allowed to email you?"

Well, somebody once told me if you have a problem with a company, send an email to the company president - so I scoured their website and found the president's email address and sent him an email explaining my problem. Ten minutes later I got a reply saying I would get a reply within three business days.

During my search I had also found a Feedback page on their website and filled it in with my name, phone number, email, problem category, sub-category and description - and when I clicked Submit it said, "This feature is currently not available. Please try again later."

So I tried again later. I filled in my name, phone number, email, problem category, sub-category and description - and when I clicked Submit it said, "This feature is currently not available. Please try again later."

And I tried again later. I filled in my name, phone number, email, problem category, sub-category and description - and when I clicked Submit it said, "This feature is currently not available. Please try again later."

And I tried again later. I filled in my name, phone number, email, problem category, sub-category and description - and when I clicked Submit it said, "This feature is currently not available. Please try again later."

Sure enough, three business days later I got an email from the president's office (I'm sure the president himself never got within a mile of my email) saying that they were glad that I was happy with their service.

I immediately replied that I was NOT happy with their service, in fact that was the only reason I had contacted them at all. I explained my problem again. Ten minutes later I got a reply saying I would get a reply within three business days.

Well, three business days twice, with a weekend included, meant it was more than a week from my first email before I expected another reply. But I didn't get an email reply. I got a phone call - from the help desk. Apparently the president's office had lit a fire under them and now they were all gung-ho to help me. I told them I had already fixed the problem myself.

I also told him that the Feedback page on their website wasn't working. He said, "Yes it is," and I said, "NO IT ISN"T."

He tried it on his computer while we were still on the phone and he said, "Hmm, you're right. It isn't working."

So the only satisfaction I got from the whole adventure was them admitting I was right about something.

But the punchline came several years later when I was searching their website again for some reason. Their help desk now had a little note that said, "Don't call us on the phone. Send us an email. It's more secure."

20. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Sure glad email and help is always available to help us Minions live a carefree happy existence