Why George Floyd matters?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Saint, Jun 2, 2020.

1. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Well now that the cops involved are all in line for meaningful punishments, as long as the justice system is consistent in these pursuits perhaps US police will feel compelled to modify their future behaviour and remember the bounds of their authority within the law, which in turn will lead to greater trust in them among the populace. Resisting arrest can be considered a felony too so it's not like the police aren't compensated for the inconvenience if someone chooses to do that, not as if they had to treat the guy like a top 10 FBI wanted serial killer on the loose.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

That is very close to saying "that rape was outrageous and inexcusable as all rapes are, but women should really learn to not dress like sluts. That will avoid more rapes than any protesting will ever accomplish." Which is to say, there is an element of truth in it, but suggests that the victims are responsible for their crimes. And the meme of "the blacks are largely responsible for the crimes against them" is, in large part, the attitude that the protesters are protesting against.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

may I be so bold as to suggest:
    Try looking at the interaction from the policemen's perspective.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CptBork Valued Senior Member

You're right, for all they knew Mr. Floyd could have been strapped with a bomb activated by twisting his neck.

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I realize that it is "close" to saying that but nuance is important. There is a reason that you don't run from the police, or argue excessively with them or struggle with with.

Why is that?

9. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Fuck off.

Care to explain how I was "arguing" with or being confrontational towards the police when they beat the shit out of me for having an epileptic seizure?

Or how about the time that I actually called the police for their freakin' assistance when our home was being besieged by a drunken and belligerent neighbor, for no apparent reason, but I got the wrong cop, I guess (seems to be a lot of those): the neighbor turned out to be a buddy of the cop's, and the cop had a bid of a steroid and coke problem, so he bashed my fucking skull into the sidewalk, causing a severe concussion, several months of the worst seizures I've ever had in my life, and no compensation or accountability to this day. No "arguing" there either.

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Absolutely. A cuffed guy, on the ground, with a knee pressed into his neck, and surrounded by four other cops, may well have been harboring a xenomorph within his gut that may have have busted out at any moment!

Idiot.

11. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Seriously, can't you guys find a forum where there's more Alex Jones types and Fox news aficionados who may be more sympathetic to your perspectives?

12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

try harder

13. sculptor Valued Senior Member

again
    try harder

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

O-man... you hit the nail right in the gut.!!!
    After all these years... black people should have learned that when they are detained for whatever by an Officer... to stay in ther place an also to be respectful... as if thats to much to ask for Fks-Sake.!!!
    I largely blame ther parents for not teechin 'em right.!!!

The 2 times officers pulled guns on me i follered ther instructions to the letter an i wasnt shot or beat up at all.!!!
    I thank a lot of this Bull-Sht started wit Rosa Parks (Uppity-Black woman) who refused to set in the back of the bus when politely asked.!!!
    It wasnt long after that that black people in our town started demandin to get ther hair cut in white barber shops an to even eat in white resturants.!!!
    An O sure... sinse they was black they got ther way... an look what it has led to... nuthin but pain misery an death.!!!

O well... like you say... "It's just the way it is."!!!

15. Saint Valued Senior Member

The death of a innocent black does not justify violence.

16. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Absolutely. And, they should at least have the good sense and decency to always have a white passenger in the car along with them (as per Chris Rock's suggestion).

Yep. Rosa Parks was the epitome of black arrogance and entitlement. There was a perfectly good seat for her all the way at the back of the bus and she could always avail herself to her own private drinking fountain and whatnots. The gall of her!

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  17. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

'Cuz you're soooo worth it.

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You and Cluelesshusband can be the Think Tank of these fine forums.

19. sculptor Valued Senior Member

not me
    (i don't matter)
    this is for you
    alter your perspective from that which is fed to you by the media, and think for yourself
    thinking for yourself may be painful at first
    but,
    you may find it well worth the effort
    hint
    compare relative heights and weights

20. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

No Sht... once they lucked out an got that giant face down on the pavement an squeesin the breath out of him like a 300 pound anaconda... they knew that given half a breath he coud have snapped those hand cuffs an savegely murdered 'em all.!!!

CptBork likes this.
  21. billvon Valued Senior Member

The policeman saw a black man - and therefore a threat. He used the force he needed to ensure he was no longer a threat. Then he kept strangling him to ensure his death. Why? Perhaps because he thought that one less black on the streets was a good thing. Perhaps he was having a bad day. Perhaps he was hallucinating. Perhaps he was scared. We will likely never know; that may or may not come out in his trial.

But at the end of the day, jail for life will keep that policeman from doing this again to someone else.

22. billvon Valued Senior Member

Just as there is a reason that a scantily clad woman is wise to stick close to a known-safe male protector.

Neither of those reasons make it OK to kill black people or rape women.

23. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That's true and no one has argued that it's OK to kill black people or to rape women, so why bring that up?