Why good Vibrations may be bad

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Xerxes, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Well, I have some free time right now, so I thought I'd use it to ponder....

And guess what I stumbled accross while pondering. A little piece across the internet describing the implications of rock music. Can it be bad for us? I listen to a lot of it right now. And sometimes, I'll admit that it does give me a false sense of empowerment. Though I could never give it up. Some songs just spill my life story with intoxicating vibes.

On the flipside, I also enjoy a lot of the "classical" stuff. Most people don't really appreciate the beauty of some of this older symphony "stuff". Reminds me of the time I attended a performance of the calgary philharmonic orchestra, much more entertaining AND enlightening that I thought it could ever be. I like listening to it, but not all the time. That's where rock and concerns over my health come in.

Now this article doesn't really belong in a science forum, since anybody who's finished high school would know better/or worse (than to write an article like that). So I decided to bring it here. And before you read this article, I must point out that I view it with the lowest regards. There isn't anything scientific about it. For the most part, it's religious garbage that looks at things through a....utilitarian mindset. I just thought it deserves some consideration since it involves our health.

My inention isn't to get you guys playing stairway to heaven backwards, but rather to open your mind to facets of human charectar and the lack of spirituality nowadays. (you see, I'm learning all about the brain these days in bio, and well....I like what I'm learning so read on)

why good vibrations may be bad:
    http://www.ycsi.net/users/reversespins/music.html

It's a....though provoking article, but you have to read the ENTIRE thing to get the whole jist of it. So don't get lazy now!

Now I know you little nietzche lovers won't really like this since it praises socrates or plato (if I remember). But give it a thought.

Thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I think music affects our mood and our outlook on life, but it doesn't depend on the type. Rather, I think it matters if we enjoy the music or not, and if it stimulates thoughts.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

It's the age-old question "Art imitating life or life imitating art?"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

Chakras?
    Playing music for plants?
    Chi?

New Age pseudoscientific bs. Case closed.

P.S: Why would we Nietzsche lovers (admittedly I'm Friedrich's bitch) mind Socrates?

8. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

LMAO, ah, how often I must restrain myself from being that blunt

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!